New Tune - County Farm Blues

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

New Tune - County Farm Blues

Postby jamesfarrell » Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:52 pm

Son house. Basically stole this from someone on youtube. But basically I don't give a crap because my version is better I decided. LOFL.

Have a listen. for once in my life I'm actually happy with the vocal. Couple screw ups but it was basically a spur the moment type of thing. I was as high as a kite and decided that I would just let it rip despite the fact that there were people in the house. That's the main problem with singing is being self conscious.

Kevin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vE5Y1P34I-A
jamesfarrell
Regular

Postby david » Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:31 pm

I do believe that is my favorite Son House tune.

Two questions: What kind of tricone is that you're playing? What tuning are you doing that in?
david
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jamesfarrell » Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:42 pm

I wish I could actually hear the original version dammit. I gots to get me some actual blues music. I'm learning blues tunes, but I own no blues music. It sucks. Perhaps I should stop buying guitars and buy music eh? :lol:

Now I don't mean to sound like an ass. The other guy did a fabulous version of it as well. I just am so pleased how I got my voice to sound.

It's a National Tricone. Tuning is somewhere between open C# and open D I believe.

http://webpages.charter.net/kfarrelldba/national/3333.JPG
http://webpages.charter.net/kfarrelldba/national/2222.JPG
http://webpages.charter.net/kfarrelldba/national/5555.JPG
http://webpages.charter.net/kfarrelldba/national/6666.JPG
jamesfarrell
Regular

Postby blueswrench » Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:04 am

Sounds great!! Now I got a big jones on to add a reso to the collection.
Thanks alot :lol:
blueswrench
Regular

Postby slickcat » Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:30 pm

Its the Hat! :shock:
slickcat
Contributor
Contributor

Postby slickcat » Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:33 pm

I mean.................before James got that cool mojo HAT he couldnt play shit. NOW... look at Him 8) That was some good Blues There. Nice Job Captain James :wink:
slickcat
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jeffl » Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:03 pm

I like it James. That's my kinda stuff and you did it well.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby zhyla » Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:56 am

James, you did an awesome job on this tune. It's time to start recording your vocals with a separate mic so you can hear that (fantastic) voice above your steel.
zhyla
Site Admin

Postby jamesfarrell » Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:56 pm

Thanks guys, means a lot to me. Yeah, I need a better setup. Problem is that I don't have a clue about mics and stuff. Can't stand technology and I work in it. For now. :lol:

Any simple setup you could recommend? Is there some SIMPLE program that I could get a card and put it in my pc and hook a couple mics up to it?

When I get a few more tunes down, I should probably just pay someone to record me. My bud has protools and a digital multitrack disk recorder that probably has 32 tracks. He doesn't have a clue either.

Yes, without that hat, no music would come out of me or the instrument
jamesfarrell
Regular

Postby zhyla » Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:13 pm

Anything that would support 2 input recording would do it for you. I have a cheap Behringer mixer (Xenyx 802) that I run into a USB soundcard and record with Audacity. The mixer has 2 mic preamps. I think it was $60 plus whatever for the soundcard (built-in soundcard is probably fine too).

Audacity is powerful enough for what you are doing right now (straight recording, maybe minor editing). And it's free :).

The basic idea is you point one mic at your guitar and one at your face and have at it. You get two tracks in your audio program (or one stereo track) and from there you can tweak the levels etc.
zhyla
Site Admin

Postby leftyguitarman » Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:03 pm

I just got around to listening to it. I like it a lot! The vocals are good. You've got a good blues voice.
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby Ozzie Blues » Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:59 pm

Nice One Captain!!
Ozzie Blues
Regular

Postby Reverend Mojo » Fri Dec 07, 2007 3:08 pm

Thoroughly enjoyable.
Reverend Mojo
Regular

Postby txslide » Fri Dec 07, 2007 5:40 pm

Great job! That did tip me over the edge in starting my 3-4 year National Vintage Steel Tricone fund.
txslide
Regular

Postby zhyla » Sat Dec 08, 2007 3:06 am

txslide wrote:Great job! That did tip me over the edge in starting my 3-4 year National Vintage Steel Tricone fund.

Dang it! I want a tricone now too. And I just got RID of a couple guitars, I thought I was making progress. Thanks a lot, James.
zhyla
Site Admin

Next

Return to Guitar