New music

[Locked - post in relevant instrument/gig/recording section]

New music

Postby leftyguitarman » Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:36 am

I find it amazing how new music can motivate me. I listen to a lot of blues (or else I wouldn't be here :D ) but I also listen to a lot of classic rock and I love folk music. Right now I'm really starting to get in to Indie music. The other day I was in class and was sitting with one of my friends, and she made me listen to some of her music, and she played The Fray, so I bought their CD, and their CD has pushed me to pick up the guitar more everyday so I can achieve a mellow sound. I just learned a couple of their songs. Then I listened to Neil Young the other day, and it was the first time I actually sat down and listened to his stuff, and man.. I think he is great. Now I'm goin out to get a bunch of Neil Young stuff. Anyways, I just think it's amazing (for me anyway) that when I'm stuck in a rut with my playing, finding new music gets me right out of it. What else do you guys find really motivating other than blues? Stuff that really makes you want to play and try something new?
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby stratman_27 » Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:48 am

I really been digging on Bob Dylan lately, also Martin Simpson and Stephen Still. Was told the other night that I sound kinda like Neil Young. I see. Also listening to some of the more modern bluegrass makes me want to play my resonator more and learn dobro licks.
stratman_27
Regular

Postby NEONMOONY » Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:00 am

Was told the other night that I sound kinda like Neil Young.

Don't let it get you down. There's still a lot to live for .
NEONMOONY
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:01 am

NEONMOONY wrote:

Don't let it get you down. There's still a lot to live for .

lol. That was a good one.
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby bosco » Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:33 pm

Don't let it get you down. There's still a lot to live for.

LMAO !

:lol:
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jeffl » Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:19 pm

stratman_27 wrote:I really been digging on Bob Dylan lately, also Martin Simpson and Stephen Still. Was told the other night that I sound kinda like Neil Young. I see. Also listening to some of the more modern bluegrass makes me want to play my resonator more and learn dobro licks.
Does that mean that you can achieve the nasally falsetto- or whatever that was-- that he did 35 yrs. ago....? I got a buddy who used to sing Young's stuff up there in that register and can't get close to it anymore. I had to pull out some old jam recordings to convince my buddy that he used to be able to sing up there.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Re: New music

Postby LamenameRodriguez » Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:12 pm

Django Reinhardt always does it for me. Not to emulate, but just for showing how much can be done on the guitar. And his left hand had two fingers that hardly worked! Jazz in general, and listening to instruments other than guitar. Puts the focus back on melody for me
LamenameRodriguez
Regular

Postby texas blues » Thu May 15, 2008 4:17 am

Dude...listen to everything. I heard and saw a cat do a bluesy acoustic version of "Grease" ...a disco style song, and was knocked out. Chris Cornell does a version of Michael Jacksons' "Billy Jean". Knocked out x2! Never limit yourself to just one style. Wrap it up, turn it around and then bring it all back home and make it your own.
Cheers, TB.
texas blues
Regular

Postby boogiechillun85 » Thu May 15, 2008 1:47 pm

I think that new Madonna song "4 Minutes" is pretty cool. I've been playing that one a lot lately...
boogiechillun85
Contributor
Contributor

Postby mike932 » Fri May 16, 2008 7:13 am

I got a little tipsy one night and sang "Heart of Gold", my friends said I sounded just like Neil Young. The funny thing was I wasn't trying to. I have never done it since, though I have tried. Must of been the alcohol, in all of us. I am a huge Neil Young fan. My break from the Blues is Acid or Psychedelic Rock, I love the goofy lyrics and guitar lines that go nowhere and everywhere. Dale is big time into Classical music, she cranks it loud and I really enjoy it. I have no idea who it is , but at times I start feeling a grove and try to copy it with my bass or harp, unless she is in the room, it is annoying when I do it. :blink:
mike932
Regular

Return to Wish I'd Known This!!