Drop D tuning, its merits?

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

Drop D tuning, its merits?

Postby cpt.blueZ » Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:38 pm

Just posting a new topic, trying to fish around "The Road" for some feedback about Drop D tuning, its merits blues related. Does anyone favor it, or use it with any regularity or maybe have a few Drop D tips for a Rookie?
cpt.blueZ
Regular

Postby tinsmith » Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:05 pm

I use it for Embryonic Journey.

I use it sometimes, but rarely. I do use it for slide occassionally & for general fooling around. Usually I go from D to double drop D for a change.

When you drop the D you get a natural " E" shape chord on the top 3 strings.

It's OK.
tinsmith
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:10 pm

I never use it because I don't like it. I don't know why I don't, I just don't.
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby cpt.blueZ » Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:14 am

I use it for Embryonic Journey.

Ah, Embyonic Journey! I used your reply to do a search on youtube, and came up with this excellent online lesson for Embyonic Journey in Drop D.
Heres the link if anyones interested.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=s1uF0J7MYCE&feature=related
ThanX Tinsmith. :D
cpt.blueZ
Regular

Postby tinsmith » Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:20 am

I have the lesson from Jorma.

He's a great man fer sure.....one of my heroes......gold tooth an' all.
tinsmith
Regular

Postby maxx england » Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:21 pm

I'm in permanent open E, it's just one way of doing things. The chord shapes change, but there's stuff to look for in there. The slide tone of D/E is nicer to me than A/G, but that's just personal.

I'd try experimenting with it, just to see what ideas it gives you if you go back to standard.
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby boogiechillun85 » Mon Nov 19, 2007 5:36 pm

I guess I'm the only one here who absolutely LOVES dropped D tuning. "Statesboro Blues," "Big Road Blues," "Shake 'Em On Down" (in a Tommy McClennan kind of way) etc etc... it's also great for modal-y mountain stuff. I do "Cuckoo Bird," "Little Maggie," "House Carpenter," "East Virginia Blues," "Sweet Sunny South" in it... a bunch of originals. And I just worked out a guitar part for Lillie Knox's "Troubled About My Soul" in dropped D (Charlie Patton did it as "troubled about my mother").

Really, you should try it out. The way the scales fall in that tuning is just great. And I love the IV chord in it... that G7/B type thing, and you can throw in the high E string to make it a sixth or something.. Just a great tuning...
boogiechillun85
Contributor
Contributor

Postby allanlummox » Mon Nov 19, 2007 5:53 pm

Not a tuning I've used much - since all my guitars are set up for tensions that don't work well for Standard, I just haven't explored it in years.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Mississippi John » Thu Nov 22, 2007 4:44 pm

I use Drop D on Skip James' "Devil Got My Woman". You play the song in Dm, but the open bass string gives you a nice drone to move up the neck for some very tasty, haunting licks. Could also be used on Blind Willie Johnson's "Soul of a Man". Oh, and "Fishing Blues" by Henry Thomas (Taj Mahal also did it).

Outside of blues, Drop D is very useful for fingerstyle playing in general, since you have a nice octave available for the thumb part. Check out the the playing of Bruce Cockburn - he uses Drop D a lot.

MJ
Mississippi John
Regular

Postby stumblin » Thu Nov 22, 2007 5:57 pm

It's also good for playing Tommy Johnson's Big Road Blues. That ascending bass riff, punctuated by D chords would be extremely tricky to achieve otherwise.
stumblin
Regular

Postby texas blues » Thu Nov 22, 2007 8:33 pm

I only use dropped D for rock stuff, namely...

Smokin' in the Boys Room - Brownsville Station
Outshined - Soundgarden
Blackhole Sun - Soundgarden
Prayer - Disturbed

All my blues is in either standard, open G or D. I'm doing more and more slide in standard these days as well.

Cheers, TB.
texas blues
Regular

Postby Pickin'4memories » Fri Nov 23, 2007 4:28 am

I so far only use it for one song:

Queen-Fat bottomed girls

Gotta love it.
Pickin'4memories
Regular

Postby boogiechillun85 » Sat Nov 24, 2007 4:05 am

Mississippi John wrote:I use Drop D on Skip James' "Devil Got My Woman". You play the song in Dm, but the open bass string gives you a nice drone to move up the neck for some very tasty, haunting licks. Could also be used on Blind Willie Johnson's "Soul of a Man". Oh, and "Fishing Blues" by Henry Thomas (Taj Mahal also did it).

Outside of blues, Drop D is very useful for fingerstyle playing in general, since you have a nice octave available for the thumb part. Check out the the playing of Bruce Cockburn - he uses Drop D a lot.

MJ

Yeah, I forgot.. I do "Hard Time Killing Floor Blues" in dropped D sometimes.. lots of Skip's stuff works well in dropped D.
boogiechillun85
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Drop D tuning, its merits?

Postby jellyroll baker » Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:09 am

Australian slide wizard and occasional BRB poster Kirk Lorange uses drop-D to play some mighty tasty slide guitar. I've tried sliding in it and it didn't speak to me but I can see the appeal - you have an open minor triad on the bottom 3 strings, a major triad in the middle and a power-chord up top.
jellyroll baker
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Drop D tuning, its merits?

Postby papajerry » Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:58 pm

Where's the root note on the minor triad? :?: :?:
papajerry
Regular

Next

Return to Guitar