aging a steel body resonator?

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

aging a steel body resonator?

Postby papajerry » Sat Oct 13, 2007 4:23 pm

I'm saving for a gunmetal gray steel body single cone resonator from Repulic. I want it to look broke in and played but not as extreem as a reso-relic. How can I excellerate the cosmetic aging process?
papajerry
Regular

Postby ricochet » Sat Oct 13, 2007 5:02 pm

Play it really fast and hard.
ricochet
Regular

Postby Ransome » Sat Oct 13, 2007 8:06 pm

Papa,

Frank can relic them, mine turned out better than the others I've seen him do. I was just playing it last night for a good two hours... he makes a great guitar!

Ran$ome
Ransome
Regular

Postby allanlummox » Sat Oct 13, 2007 11:12 pm

Man...I can't keep a guitar looking new for any length of time - not if I'm playing it.

Any guitar that stays shiny looking around here, I wind up selling. And once a guitar really has my "stink" - an accumulation of Dan-specific guitar abuse, setup quirks and gouges - I'm surprised that anyone else would want to play it.

(I do sand the finish off of some necks because I hate the tacky, sticky feel of a "shiny" neck. And if I really play out with a guitar much, a big "Thank You" decal on the back. )
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby texas blues » Sat Oct 13, 2007 11:57 pm

I don't get the whole relic vibe. If you dig it thats cool and the gang with me. Personally I don't want my 25 yo girlfriend looking like a 60 yo Barry White. My 78' LP went through an apt. fire and got some smoke damage and melted the pickups some 20 years ago. Relic'd it up real nice I reckon. I spose my guitars will all be relics soon enough anyway with missy lou puppy nose marks, and my own personal brand of finger jizz and body splooge on each of em. Relic? Rectum? Damn near killed em! I say give it a shot from a US Government issue M-100 Flame thrower..but just a short burst and not a direct hit. That should relic it.
texas blues
Regular

Postby zhyla » Sun Oct 14, 2007 1:43 am

Give it a dunk in some salt water maybe?
zhyla
Site Admin

Postby jamesfarrell » Sun Oct 14, 2007 3:12 am

Or send it to me for a week :twisted:
jamesfarrell
Regular

Postby houndog » Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:04 am

Hello,
this is a really funny area and one I think I understand...but on thinking about it I don't.

Most players want to buy a unmarked guitar, and sellers go to great lengths to point out that ding where it fell off it's stand in the bedroom ( sorry couldn't resist that :twisted: ) but adore the thought of getting a guitar with history.

The relic thing, I saw a black tele in a gtr shop yesterday- looked like it had toured with Albert King, bought by the Clash and stored in a sawmill since the 80's...but what a high price. :roll:

Also tried a SRV strat, nice - but a real baseball bat neck :?

So my thinking - folks have to much disposable income and believe they can buy mojo :!:

adios,
Lovat
houndog
Regular

Postby panhead74 » Sun Oct 14, 2007 1:16 pm

houndog wrote:
So my thinking - folks have to much disposable income and believe they can buy mojo :!:

Far be it from me to put down other people's likes and dislikes, but I agree with Lovat. I personally don't get the whole "relic" thing. I don't much understand "retro" either.
panhead74
Regular

aging?

Postby papajerry » Sun Oct 14, 2007 1:30 pm

" To age or not to age is not the Question."
How to is.
Playing it 2-3 hrs. per diem would be great, but I have a family and a day job. I've been playing my es135 copy for 4 yrs. and it looks new. Mabe i should run away for 6 mos. and play for drinks and tips, like i did 38 yrs ago when I was in the Navy.

Papa
papajerry
Regular

Postby slideshowbob2 » Sun Oct 14, 2007 3:52 pm

I suggest an abrassive pad , and lightly,"wet sand" the paint job,particularly around the heavy wear areas .A light touch is important as is the gauge of the pad. Go easy, even a medium gauge will scrath the surface easily.(I found out , on a nickel plated finish)The trick is to dull and fade the paint, Not scratch it TOO DEEP.,Keep the pad wet.maybee practice on something first to get a feel for the right touch.Although this will be difficult and not very conclusive as the paint probably wont be the same.If you have a friend with the same guitar, do his first :D good luck.
slideshowbob2
Regular

Postby allanlummox » Sun Oct 14, 2007 4:49 pm

Maybe I should get a pink polo shirt and some chinos

go out to a sports bar with 75 television screens

and pretend I spent the past 20 years extracting teeth or trading stocks and bonds.

I could show people my guitars and tell them that I aged them myself.

I could put a Brillo pad in the case, maybe rough it up a little right then and there

show them how it's done.

Every moment you spend thinking about how to make your guitars look like you play them...well, you could be playing.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby houndog » Sun Oct 14, 2007 5:02 pm

Hello,
is this aging thing a new event, I can't recall anyone I know over the years hurting their gear in such a way on purpose.

To me it is like taking gravel to the paint work on a car?

But hey it's your money ....

adios,
Lovat
houndog
Regular

Postby maxx england » Sun Oct 14, 2007 5:17 pm

houndog wrote:

adios,
Lovat

Lovat and Stumblin have seen the IoMD, every clout, ding, scrape has been put there the hard way, and to be honest, without wishing to offend anyone, I'm somewhat annoyed (or even mildly angry) that anybody should want to shortcut the journey to the patina/battering of age that my dear old No.1 baby has.

When it gets dragged out of the bag, I see people's expressions; this is an honest instrument, and whether or not you enjoy the way it gets played, if an inanimate object can be said to get respect for being itself, this one does. Any attempt to copy that, I don't know, it's like somebody wearing a uniform or displaying some sort of medal they're not entitled to.
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby texas blues » Sun Oct 14, 2007 6:08 pm

Hmmm...Son House would be laughing his ass off at us for even talking about this subject. Some of us are obviously snorting laundry detergent.
Make your own damn mojo!!
texas blues
Regular

Next

Return to Guitar