Just gigged my new Bass

A forum devoted to the discussion of playing bass with the blues.

Just gigged my new Bass

Postby tim3finger » Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:22 pm

Hey all

I just got a new bass about a week ago. A Squier vintage modified telebass. Supposed to be a replica(more or less) of a "72" Fender telebass.

Fit and finish - very nice, no obvious flaws, nicely applied tri-color sunburst and a very nice(tight) neck/pocket fit.

Action and hardware- Okay tuners, nice retro brass saddles bridge with string thru body. Big fat humbucker at the neck. Set up playable when I got it. I did do a few tweaks to suit me, but it was very playable out of the box.

Sound - Deep, Low and warm. I am able to coax some highs out of it, but basically it is suited very well for Blues/Vintage rock/ and Country. Not suited for anything else, unless you have lots of pedals. Not a slapper or popper definitely, although a good player might get it to pass as such.

Anyway, I played a church music gig (2 hours) at my brother-in-law's house yesterday and I can report this bass aqquitted itself very well. Checking tuning before the second set, was still dead on. I got all the tone i needed ( Running through Bassman 150 into the PA). We played From old gospel tunes to Bluegrassy Religious songs to Very Upbeat and Loud Pentecostal-type Comtemporary Christian Songs. I never felt like nor did it sound like tone, volume or sustain was lacking anywhere. I was turned up in the mix( which I wasn't that fond of doing) for the first set and everyone said the Bass sounded great. We turned me down in the second set, and we got the same compliments

Overall, I am very pleased with this Bass. It is a real looker and when I bought it, I told myself, if it plays as good as it looks, I will be a very happy camper. It definitely met all my expectations. For a low buck bass( $279.00 online) this one is gonna be hard to beat if you're looking for vintage vibe and that low down sound.

I'll put a picture or two on this post, as soon as I figure out how to do it.

Tim
tim3finger
Regular

Postby 1four5 » Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:17 pm

That would be Tim on the far right 8)
1four5
Regular

Postby lpdeluxe » Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:50 am

Very nice. I love the look of the early P/Telecaster basses -- I have a '51 P Reissue -- and it's good to see one in action.

Have you the movie The Commitments? The bass player has an early '50s Precision lefty.

Mine has the single-coil pickup, and it's the Thump King. Very percussive! It's like playing a bass drum that'll play notes.
lpdeluxe
Regular

Re: Just gigged my new Bass

Postby 1four5 » Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:43 pm

I was surfing through some old posts and some old names... and found this post from my old friend and bandmate. Sadly, Tim3finger passed away on July 1st of this year. He was 59. We lost a great friend and fantastic bass player. Every time I hear thunder rumbling... I can't help but wonder....
1four5
Regular

Re: Just gigged my new Bass

Postby lpdeluxe » Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:52 pm

I'm so sorry to hear that. Rest in peace.
lpdeluxe
Regular

Return to Bass - Meet Me At The Bottom