Tab/web links to good songs for a slide newbie...

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

Tab/web links to good songs for a slide newbie...

Postby Arcadiandj » Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:00 am

I've been playing guitar for a few years now. Do chords well and can play some lead stuff ok. Not ready to perform yet, but have started to mess around with a slide. I just love the blues:) I've got some decent tone, but would like to try some songs. Does anyone know some web resources where I can find some songs? Any guidance or suggestions is/are much appreciated.
Arcadiandj
Regular

Postby bignick » Wed Sep 12, 2007 11:17 am

There was a really good tab site on here that someone posted...though it was kind of frowned upon because the tabs were taken out of some song books and they were pirated.

Honestly, for slide guitar...I suggest putting on a few tunes from some of your favorite players...find out what tuning they are in and have at it. One of the most crucial elements of slide is your ear. Once you start playing in a certain tuning you will figure that out. The majority of things that you play are at the 3rd, 5th, 7th, and 12th frets.

I'll give you some starters:

George Thorogood: Primarilly Open G (Bad to the Bone, Get a Haircut, Madison Blues, Gear Jammer)
Fred McDowell: Open D or E
Duane Allman: Open E (Statesboro Blues)
Hound Dog Taylor: Open D (Anything really)
Elmore James: Open D (Dust My Broom)
Robert Johnson: Open G or Open A (Love In Vain, Crossroad Blues)
Son House: Open G (Death Letter Blues)
Bukka White: Open G

Get to Flailing. Remember that Open D capos to Open E on the 2nd fret, and Open G capos to A on the 2nd fret as well.
bignick
Regular

Postby Arcadiandj » Thu Sep 13, 2007 4:07 am

bignick wrote:There was a really good tab site on here that someone posted...though it was kind of frowned upon because the tabs were taken out of some song books and they were pirated.

Honestly, for slide guitar...I suggest putting on a few tunes from some of your favorite players...find out what tuning they are in and have at it. One of the most crucial elements of slide is your ear. Once you start playing in a certain tuning you will figure that out. The majority of things that you play are at the 3rd, 5th, 7th, and 12th frets.

I'll give you some starters:

George Thorogood: Primarilly Open G (Bad to the Bone, Get a Haircut, Madison Blues, Gear Jammer)
Fred McDowell: Open D or E
Duane Allman: Open E (Statesboro Blues)
Hound Dog Taylor: Open D (Anything really)
Elmore James: Open D (Dust My Broom)
Robert Johnson: Open G or Open A (Love In Vain, Crossroad Blues)
Son House: Open G (Death Letter Blues)
Bukka White: Open G

Get to Flailing. Remember that Open D capos to Open E on the 2nd fret, and Open G capos to A on the 2nd fret as well.

Whoa, thanks so much. I've posted on a few forums and received no reply. I was beginning to wonder what's the deal. I will tinker and mess with it. I was just hoping to get some guidance to begin with. E.g. in the open tunings, I haven't figured out how to do the 12 bar progression. But I will play with it. Thank you again.
Arcadiandj
Regular

Postby rustyslide » Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:34 am

12 bar blues?

I chord is open or at the 12th fret
IV chord is at the 5th fret
V chord is at the 7th fret
rustyslide
Site Admin

Postby Arcadiandj » Thu Sep 13, 2007 12:49 pm

rustyslide wrote:12 bar blues?

I chord is open or at the 12th fret
IV chord is at the 5th fret
V chord is at the 7th fret

I can't explain what it is I mean. When I say the 12 bar progression I mean what Gallagher keeps settling into in this song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1zsRRt1FWE

When I play it, I'm just hitting two strings at a time. I'm not sure what he's doing.
Arcadiandj
Regular

Postby Arcadiandj » Thu Sep 13, 2007 12:54 pm

When I watch the video, the progression I mean is when he's counting up from 91 to 100. If that makes any sense:)
Arcadiandj
Regular

Postby ricochet » Thu Sep 13, 2007 12:55 pm

Arcadiandj wrote:I've posted on a few forums and received no reply. I was beginning to wonder what's the deal. I will tinker and mess with it. I was just hoping to get some guidance to begin with. E.g. in the open tunings, I haven't figured out how to do the 12 bar progression. But I will play with it. Thank you again.
There's just not a lot of tab out there for blues. As for open tunings and 12-bar, at the most basic level, use the open strings or 12th fret for I, fifth fret for IV, and seventh fret for V. A familiar figure you hear used a lot involves using the "power chord" on the bottom three strings of Open D or E, or the 4th and 5th strings in Open G, on the open, fifth and third frets, and open again. Think of the opening of "Hoochie Coochie Man": 1-5-3-1 . . 1-5-3-1 . . With some rearrangements, this also applies to things like "Bad to the Bone," "La Grange," thousands of things.

Now, on the IV and V, if you've resisted the bad advice to set your strings way high to slide, and you can still fret, you can do the basic blues shuffle by barring with your index finger on the fifth or seventh fret and using your middle or ring finger to fret the fifth string in Open D or E or the fourth in Open G or A while you strum in a loping "flat tire" rhythm. Hit it a couple of times with just the barre, then fret that string and do it again, then let off the fret and do it again. There's your shuffle. So you can come out with some pretty good stuff by just doing that 1-5-3-1 . . 1-5-3-1 . . thing a couple of times (where the periods are, give a palm muted thump on the bottom string), go up and do the shuffle on the fifth fret for IV, and go back to the first 1-5-3-1 thing again. Then shuffle once on the seventh fret (V), once on the fifth fret (IV), back to I on the open strings, but this time finish up your I figure with a slide from the fifth fret up to the seventh for a "turnaround," and start over. Sounds complicated to talk about, but mess around with it a few minutes and you'll be playing blues like an old hand if you've been doing any listening and gotten some feel for it. That's the key.
ricochet
Regular

Postby maxx england » Thu Sep 13, 2007 4:17 pm

Yes, string height is something you have to figure out; too low and the strings hit the frets when you slide, too high and it's so hard to get them down to the frets when you need them there, it's like playing a trampoline.

Most of us run heavy or heavy-ish string gauges too, but you'll have to experiment to find what works for you. My Strat has 13s in open E, the acoustic (the Instrument Of Mass Dysfunction) has 12s in open D. Some of this will be about how well the guitar responds to the differences as well as how you play the notes.

12 bar = I-I-I-I-IV-IV-I-I-V-IV-I-V (generally, but there's lots of variations on that).
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Arcadiandj » Sat Sep 15, 2007 5:06 am

ricochet wrote: A familiar figure you hear used a lot involves using the "power chord" on the bottom three strings of Open D or E, or the 4th and 5th strings in Open G, on the open, fifth and third frets, and open again. Think of the opening of "Hoochie Coochie Man": 1-5-3-1 . . 1-5-3-1 . . With some rearrangements, this also applies to things like "Bad to the Bone," "La Grange," thousands of things.

Now, on the IV and V, if you've resisted the bad advice to set your strings way high to slide, and you can still fret, you can do the basic blues shuffle by barring with your index finger on the fifth or seventh fret and using your middle or ring finger to fret the fifth string in Open D or E or the fourth in Open G or A while you strum in a loping "flat tire" rhythm. Hit it a couple of times with just the barre, then fret that string and do it again, then let off the fret and do it again. There's your shuffle. So you can come out with some pretty good stuff by just doing that 1-5-3-1 . . 1-5-3-1 . . thing a couple of times (where the periods are, give a palm muted thump on the bottom string), go up and do the shuffle on the fifth fret for IV, and go back to the first 1-5-3-1 thing again. Then shuffle once on the seventh fret (V), once on the fifth fret (IV), back to I on the open strings, but this time finish up your I figure with a slide from the fifth fret up to the seventh for a "turnaround," and start over. Sounds complicated to talk about, but mess around with it a few minutes and you'll be playing blues like an old hand if you've been doing any listening and gotten some feel for it. That's the key.

I really appreciate the time you took to respond to my post. But, please, keep in mind, I'm a newbie, and I normally can only hold 7 units of information in my immediate awareness at a time. As such, when I try to read very long sentences, I have forgotten the first pieces of information by the time I get to the last pieces.

In short, you really have to simplify with me, or I end up going cross eyed. I'm trying to comprehend what you wrote, but I don't get most of it. Sorry, but again, thank you for taking your time to respond..
Arcadiandj
Regular

Postby rustyslide » Sat Sep 15, 2007 1:09 pm

Here's the shuffle part of Rico & my post, tabbed (you play this with two of your three non-slide wearing fingers):

(I put in open-E tuning, it works identically for open-D. For open-G or open-A, just move what I wrote one string closer to your feet).

I Chord
yer feets
Code: Select all
E +-0-0---------0-0-+
B +-0-0---------0-0-+
G#+-0-0---------0-0-+
E +-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-+
B +-0-0-2-2-0-0-2-2-+
E +-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-+

yer head

IV Chord
E +-----------------+
B +-----------------+
G#+-5-5-------------+
E +-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-+
B +-5-5-7-7-5-5-7-7-+
E +-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-+

V Chord
E +-----------------+
B +-----------------+
G#+-7-7-------------+
E +-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-+
B +-7-7-9-9-7-7-9-9-+
E +-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-+

Now play 'em in this order:
|I   |I   |I   |I   |IV  |IV  |I   |I   |V   |IV  |I   |V   |

It's a 12 bar shuffle!
rustyslide
Site Admin

Postby Arcadiandj » Sat Sep 15, 2007 5:08 pm

rustyslide wrote:Here's the shuffle part of Rico & my post, tabbed (you play this with two of your three non-slide wearing fingers):

(I put in open-E tuning, it works identically for open-D. For open-G or open-A, just move what I wrote one string closer to your feet).

I Chord
yer feets
E +-0-0---------0-0-+
B +-0-0---------0-0-+
G#+-0-0---------0-0-+
E +-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-+
B +-0-0-2-2-0-0-2-2-+
E +-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-+

yer head

IV Chord