Small rant

A discussion of the blues for blues lovers and fans.

Small rant

Postby Andy Twyman » Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:05 pm

Hi, i'm from the UK, i don't know whether the case is the same in the US, but over here there is a growing obsession amongst blues guitarists, especially younger ones, with Stevie Ray Vaughan. Don't get me wrong, Stevie Ray Vaughan is an outstanding musician but I can't seem to find musicians to play with who's blues knowledge stretches further than SRV, Gary Moore and a bit of BB King. In my opinion, what I would regard as the real hardcore, raunchy, lowdown blues is being neglected hugely ie. Muddy, the Wolf, Eddie Taylor, Luther Tucker, Jimmy Reed, John Lee Hooker. I can't understand why though, because I'm 15 years old and i love that old stuff. It's so moody and sexual. :) . I think that maybe people think chacago/delta blues is simple and easy and so dont try it but trying to play chicago blues right is NOT easy.

Please share your opinion on this topic

Anyway I'm still on the hunt for musos in the South of England who can really play old style blues, so if there's anyone out there.....
Andy Twyman
Regular

Postby boogiechillun85 » Tue Aug 28, 2007 12:34 am

Lol... a growing obsession? Everybody in this area has a hardon for that guy... :roll:
boogiechillun85
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Pickin'4memories » Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:04 am

While I'm a big fan of SRV myself I do notice that some people love what he does but haven't the encouragement (or maybe they just dont care quite enough) to delve any deeper. I like to look at it as, hey, they could be listening to NO blues musicians at all, and IMO he's pretty awesome all on his own.

If nothing else, you could take it upon yourself to open the door to the rest of the blues greats to them.
Pickin'4memories
Regular

Postby NEONMOONY » Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:53 am

Hey, whatever opens the door. There's a lot worse stuff to be hot for than SRV.
NEONMOONY
Regular

Postby Pickin'4memories » Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:58 am

Oh yea. :)
Pickin'4memories
Regular

Postby maxx england » Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:12 am

Could be worse, you could be dealing with rockheads who only know I'm A Man, and sing it like eunuchs.

You up for the party in Penge, Oct 6th (see Hometown Blues heading)? I'll fetch both my guitars and a little amp, you can play what the hell you like. Give me a pm or email.
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bignick » Tue Aug 28, 2007 6:51 pm

I agree. Every time you hear of a new upcoming blues phenom, or see a local blues band perform...they're playing seems to be very SRV-esque. It is the same here in Michigan. Those SRV like bands are a dime a dozen. No one seems to be covering anything but Clapton, SRV, and Albert King tunes.

On the other hand, I would be really upset if a huge slide trend developed around here. It would not seem like what we do is as unique anymore.

Personally I just want to see some new tunes covered.
bignick
Regular

Postby Pickin'4memories » Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:46 pm

I agree. While I'd like to see them extend their repetoir of songs a bit further back, get them to add some other artists tunes to their list, clapton, srv, zz top, albert king and all the rest are still great additions to the music. It's a hell of a lot better than going to see a thrash metal band, and in my opinion their songs are just as welcome to a blues bands set list as any.
Pickin'4memories
Regular

Re: Small rant

Postby §treetslim » Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:22 pm

Andy Twyman wrote:Hi, i'm from the UK, i don't know whether the case is the same in the US, but over here there is a growing obsession amongst blues guitarists, especially younger ones, with Stevie Ray Vaughan. Don't get me wrong, Stevie Ray Vaughan is an outstanding musician but I can't seem to find musicians to play with who's blues knowledge stretches further than SRV, Gary Moore and a bit of BB King. In my opinion, what I would regard as the real hardcore, raunchy, lowdown blues is being neglected hugely ie. Muddy, the Wolf, Eddie Taylor, Luther Tucker, Jimmy Reed, John Lee Hooker. I can't understand why though, because I'm 15 years old and i love that old stuff. It's so moody and sexual. :) . I think that maybe people think chacago/delta blues is simple and easy and so dont try it but trying to play chicago blues right is NOT easy.

Please share your opinion on this topic

quoted for friggin truth!

I hate when im playing the pier and someone says "HEY MAN PLAY SOME STEVIE!" He is not the end all be all of blues,he's good but hes not that great of a guitar player.
§treetslim
Regular

Postby jeffl » Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:30 pm

I think he was a great guitar player. His ability to move between chords and lead phrases, ala Hendrix, gave him the ability to hold a stage all by himself. I never was a big SRV fan, but I don't see how you can argue with his ability to make his axe talk coherently. His voice was more than fine as well, and his ability to communicate with audiences and transmit energy to them was nearly unsurpassed. I've always thought the problem was that people who emulated him jus' rarely have the vision he had, and most came to the conclusion that the heart of his music was playin' a million notes and shredding the crap outa his guitar. He produced alotta "wannabes", like many significant musicians, but it's not hard to recognize the shredders with real talent and woodsheddin' time versus the guys who jus' copy notes and don't get the message. He certainly seemed to be true to himself and his music, and played and sang well. The copycats are the problem--not SRV.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Pickin'4memories » Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:06 pm

Totally. This is honestly the first time I've heard anyone claim that SRV "isn't that great of a guitar player", I've heard plenty of people that dont particularly like his music, but I think most would agree that regardless of preference hes a fantastic guitar player. He's No. 2 on my list. (behind Hendrix)

Yes, people seem to forget that he played those notes to translate something, to create feeling and play a damn good song, not just because he wanted to tear up as many notes as possible in a moments time. I've heard plenty people completely desecrate texas flood or pride and joy by trying to emulate him by playing so many notes that what you hear is hardly coherent, barely withstandable to the ears, and can't even be considered a real solo. I mean sure, He played several more notes than your usual blues player, but he wasn't trying to merge death metal with blues, my god. Still, when I hear someone play his songs who actually gets the emotion that stevie evoked, understand what the songs were played for, its nice to hear.

Wearing the same black hat and writing srv on a sunburst strat is a little overboard also. I mean, my personal favorite paint-job on a guitar is sunburst, but to write his name on it or purposely tear the finish off to make it as worn as his is ridiculous.
Pickin'4memories
Regular

Postby jeffl » Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:16 pm

The reason people wear the hat and write SRV on their guitars is understandable IMO,though. I've never done stuff like that, but it's just an indication of total identification with, and respect for SRV. Some people are so totally moved by the strength of a personality that they wanna take 'em home with 'em. I think I understand that. It sometimes makes me sick,but I understand it. There are great musicians who started out their careers by total emulation of their guitar hero, and then grinding it out with their guitar up in their bedroom every day for a year or three, and then one day, they become themself--kinda like the process a moth goes through from larva to winged creature. Other guitarists do the copy thing for money...jus' ridin' the wave 'cuz bar owners might like it.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Pickin'4memories » Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:20 pm

I suppose you are right. I neither have ever been driven to the point of dressing up like him or hendrix or page or any of the others, but I suppose I could understand it. I still find it a bit odd, but I guess i get it.
Pickin'4memories
Regular

Postby §treetslim » Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:04 am

jeffl wrote:I think he was a great guitar player. His ability to move between chords and lead phrases, ala Hendrix, gave him the ability to hold a stage all by himself. I never was a big SRV fan, but I don't see how you can argue with his ability to make his axe talk coherently. His voice was more than fine as well, and his ability to communicate with audiences and transmit energy to them was nearly unsurpassed. I've always thought the problem was that people who emulated him jus' rarely have the vision he had, and most came to the conclusion that the heart of his music was playin' a million notes and shredding the crap outa his guitar. He produced alotta "wannabes", like many significant musicians, but it's not hard to recognize the shredders with real talent and woodsheddin' time versus the guys who jus' copy notes and don't get the message. He certainly seemed to be true to himself and his music, and played and sang well. The copycats are the problem--not SRV.

It's the fact that he emulates Hendrix alot that bothers me. Just like your problem is that people emulate him. I'm sorry but his singing does nothing for me,his voice is too nasally. I'd rather hear Arnold Schwarzenegger sing.
§treetslim
Regular

Postby Pickin'4memories » Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:13 am

JeffL wasnt saying that Stevie copies Hendrixes licks, he meant that he has the same ability that hendrix has to be able to play rhythmn guitar and lead at the same time, throw a lick in between chords without dropping the beat or interupting the flow.

And his problem with Emulation wasn't the fact that people emulate stevie at all, it was that alot of people emulate him for the wrong reason. We haven't a problem with emulators as long as they do it the way they should. I wouldn't say he copies him that much actually, (besides when he's playing jimi covers obviously).

but I get where your coming from, Jimi is my #1 hero, my GOD, and I dont much like people who get props for playing replicas of jimis own solos without hardly changing anything. But stevie really didn't copy him that much, and he invented plenty of his own licks as well. He had alot of great influences, jimi just being one.
Pickin'4memories
Regular

Next

Return to Talking Blues