Gibson Houndog

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

Gibson Houndog

Postby Chris Sullivan » Sun Aug 19, 2007 3:54 am

Does anyone have an opnion on the Gibson Houndog. I am looking at getting one. If not the Gibson maybe a Johnson Style O. I have a friend that owns a music store and can get me a good deal on either but since I have very little knowledge about these guitars I wanted some advice.

Thanks in advance.
Chris Sullivan
Regular

Postby texas blues » Sun Aug 19, 2007 4:40 am

Welcome to the forum bro. We just had a little discussion about the lack of opinions and not much info on regarding major brands such as Fender and Gibson. I have played both the Hounddog and the Fender and the Johnson. I have an Orpheum which I love. Were I to decide between the Hounddog and the Johnson, personally I would go with the Johnson. Forum moderator Rico has one and loves it. Hopefully he will jump in here and 'splain you. Cheers mate!
texas blues
Regular

Postby grady » Sun Aug 19, 2007 5:04 am

Welcome to the Forum,

I have repaired a few of those HounDog models and here are the things I didn't like about them.

1- The bolts that hold the neck on are the exact same thing as those cheap Aluminum bolts you get at your local Lowe's or Home Depot.
I've replaced them on a couple HounDogs because they were stripped and allowed the neck to seperate from the body.

2- The supports in the Houndog are smaller than a pencil.

I recommend a Johnson with a National Cone upgrade.
grady
Regular

Postby heckergt » Sun Aug 19, 2007 6:28 am

I have a gibson DWF60 which is a step up from the hound dog and I highly recommend that you dont get one. Especially for the price they ask for them. I would get something different. I just got a Republic tricone and I am really impressed with it. It blows my gibson away. It'd be worth looking into republic. Anyway, if you are set on a gibson dobro, I would sell mine for $700. I dont think its worth the money though. Thats just a good price compared to what other people are asking for one.
heckergt
Regular

Postby heckergt » Sun Aug 19, 2007 6:51 am

Just to piggy back on what I just posted, I just feel there is better guitars out there than the gibson. I played a johnson and I thought it was worth owning. I would of traded my gibson straight across for the johnson but it was on consignment and the store owner really need cash. It was a really small store. Maybe the houndog is set up well and maybe youll be getting a really good deal on it. Besides, I feel a resonator is better than no resonator.
heckergt
Regular

Postby bignick » Sun Aug 19, 2007 7:00 am

The Hounddog is definitely an overpriced instrument. Stay clear of the Fenders. Get a Beard, Johnson, or Regal...there are some other brands mentioned on here that are really nice as well.
bignick
Regular

Postby stratman_27 » Sun Aug 19, 2007 12:33 pm

Just to reinforce Heckergt's post I just got a Style O from Republic Guitar that I'm really happy with. Less than $500 bucks to my doorstep. Very high quality and super playable. They are made in China but Frank inspects and sets up each one before they come to you. Money back guarantee. I dont think you can go wrong.
stratman_27
Regular

Postby Chris Sullivan » Sun Aug 19, 2007 4:25 pm

Hey Kids, So I go to sleep and when I wake up you have talked me out of the Gibson. Too bad.

While I am not counting out the Johnson I was wondering what you thought of the Goldtone Paul Beard Siganature series. Either the wood or the metal bodies.

I am still not sure if i want a metal or wood body. [/i]
Chris Sullivan
Regular

Postby tat2steve » Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:52 pm

Grady, a local luthier told me the same thing concerning Houndogs, so I picked up an Epi Bisquit instead, did the usual mods and am very happy with it.
tat2steve
Regular

Return to Guitar