Robert Johnson on 8mm film??

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

Robert Johnson on 8mm film??

Postby steelbody » Sun Aug 05, 2007 3:34 pm

I just finished reading Bob Dylan's "Chronicles." Near the end, I came across what was--for me, at least--a startling revelation. In Dylan's words:

"... I would see Johnson for myself in eight seconds worth of 8-millimeter films shot in Ruleville, Mississippi, on a brightly lit afternoon street by some German in the late '30s. Some people questioned whether it was really him, but slowing the eight seconds down so it was more like eighty seconds, you can see that it really is Robert Johnson, has to be-- couldn't be anyone else. He's playing with huge, spiderlike hands and they magically move over the strings of his guitar. There's a harp rack with a harmonica around his neck. He looks nothing like a man of stone, no high strung temperament. He looks almost childlike, an angelic looking figure, innocent as can be. He's wearing a white linen jumper, coveralls and an unusual gilded cap like Little Lord Fauntleroy. He looks nothing like a man with the hellhound on his trail. He looks immune to human dread and you stare at the image in disbelief."

Anyone ever heard of this other than from Dylan's book--or, better yet, seen the film clip?
steelbody
Regular

Postby steelbody » Sun Aug 05, 2007 5:04 pm

Ok, I think I just had my question answered. I posted this same query on the Allman Brothers website forum and was referred to this:

from http://www.robertjohnsonfilm.com/Notes.html

quote: JOHNSON ON FILM -- MUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHING
Also shown at the Hall Of Fame was rare16mm film footage supposedly of Robert Johnson found by a man called Tater Red of Memphis. This footage has gotten a lot of notoriety over the past years and was up for sale at a high price. However it was shot in front of a movie theater that was showing the motion picture Blues In The Night and all anyone had to do was consult Leonard Maltin's Movie & Video Guide to find out the film wasn't released until 1941 - three years after Johnson's death. Nice footage, but definitely not Robert Johnson.
steelbody
Regular

Postby ricochet » Sun Aug 05, 2007 5:27 pm

I think I saw the same Q&A over on the IGS forum a while back. Don't feel bad.
ricochet
Regular

Return to Guitar