Got It friday

Tickle the ivories? Here's the place to talk about it.

Got It friday

Postby 601blues » Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:38 pm

Got It Friday, Played all weekend, I decided on the Casio 3300, read some great reviews on it and it didn't break da Bank either, Has very nice draw bar organ tones and nice dodads, I didn't realize how much I had learned from messin with the piano this last year!! I went thru all my performance tracks,about 40 tunes,and was able to fit in with them all, a few more hrs. work and i would feel comfortable playing it in a gig, Its really goin to add to my music, Just ordered some scale books for the B3 organ, I need scales to really bust out!!
601blues
Regular

Postby jeffl » Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:57 pm

601, remember when the days when the union guys would catch you playin' more than one instrument at a gig and they'd give ya' some heavy-handed crap about puttin' other musicians outa work....? You young guys don't remember this prob'ly, but in the old days if you used a canned drummer (they called 'em rhythm machines back then), the union guys would tell the bar owner that if he hired you anymore they'd blacklist the bar and wouldn't let any good union bands play in there. Anyway,601, I'm glad you got a new bandmate. Now you can feed those synth parts into your ZZTop set,lol!
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby 601blues » Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:03 pm

:shock: This thing has a nice slide bar organ sound, goin ta get a key board amp ASAP, Looking for a guitar stand that will hold the guitar in playin position, so I can run between the 2,yeah!!
601blues
Regular

Postby jeffl » Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:38 pm

601blues wrote::shock: This thing has a nice slide bar organ sound, goin ta get a key board amp ASAP, Looking for a guitar stand that will hold the guitar in playin position, so I can run between the 2,yeah!!
601, be careful shoppin' for a keyboard amp, bro'. When I bought my big keyboard amp, I settled on a Crate KX-100 on the recommendation of my music store, based on feedback from a credible keyboarder who had bought one. The features also sold me, rather than the sound. I discovered while jammin' with a guitarist buddy that his Fender bass amp made my keyboards sounds better than my own "keyboard amp". Do you have any spare bass amps around the house...? If so, maybe you should try it through one of those first.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby 601blues » Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:46 pm

:shock: Your Right Jeff, I don't know nutt bout a key board amp! I have been lookin at MF and most have built in effects!!WHY! da key board has all that!!! I do have a 100 watt yorkville Bass amp in the studio, with low,mids and highs, and scoup control,and low and high inputs, I played thru that briefly did'nt try and adjust anything, but I think your right I Thought about just gettin a good bass amp I have been wantin one for some time, Iam goin to revisit that bass amp and try and adjust it out, it has 1/15 and line out, Iam in new water here so thanks for you info!!
601blues
Regular

Postby 601blues » Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:54 pm

:shock: I found a cool site that gives me all the scale patterens I will ever need and all the cords,and sound clips, at a touch of muh finger!! too Cool!! for the key board!!
601blues
Regular

Postby ricochet » Tue Jul 31, 2007 6:14 pm

Just a good clean amp with enough power is all you need. A bass amp should be fine.

I've been listening to the country station a good bit lately (which has really gotten me buzzed about steel guitar), and I've noticed they're using a lot of "Hammond" nowadays. You just can't beat that sound, but real Hammonds are too dang unwieldy to gig with. And nowadays it's a real art to keep 'em going. (Having one and maintaining another for the church, I know something about that.)

It's absolutely amazing to me what modern keyboards are capable of, and how portable they are!
ricochet
Regular

Postby 601blues » Tue Jul 31, 2007 6:17 pm

:shock: I noticed Hammond has a portable b3 can't remember the modle I saw at a key board sith, but its supposed to be very nice in repo that classic sound, But this Casio is very nice as well,
601blues
Regular

Postby 601blues » Tue Jul 31, 2007 6:21 pm

:shock: Rico a few years back I went to do a gig with Leon Jenkins, at the 930 club in jackson, Its a 2nd floor club wif a very narrow stair up to 2nd floor, Leon brought his B3!! we wresseled this monster up those stairs and after all the sweat the damn thing would not PLAY!! I never want ta see one again!!
601blues
Regular

Postby bosco » Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:57 am

My previous band was the Slytones. We had a keyboard player that hauled a full size B-3 around. For four years we wrestled that thing upstairs, downstairs, even lifted it up onto stages that were over our heads from ground level. :shock:

I will say he had a great transport system though. The organ was strapped down to a wheeled dolley and he had spring loaded wheelborrow handles on all four corners of the organ that folded down flat while not in use. He also had custom ramps to load it up into the side door of his cargo van. Still a lot of work though.

Bosco
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:08 am

I'm on the Hamtech List, a mailing list of real working techs who keep Hammonds going for working musicians. I mostly keep quiet, and they tolerate me. I've heard a lot of tales of ingenuity and woe about moving those things around, about them conking out right before gigs, and about heroically getting them going just in time. If you've got the right guy around, it'll happen. Unfortunately, nowadays, in most places, that ain't likely to happen. But around the big cities with a jazz scene you might be in luck.
ricochet
Regular

Postby 601blues » Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:44 am

:shock: Smaller is better Is my motto!!when I was younger, I had for sound,a full set of peavey internationals, 20" sub woffer cab,and the mid range cab,and the high range with massive horns,stacked on top of each other would give me 2 towers exceeding 8ft. powered by 3 crown amps ran paralell was about 10,000 watts JBL cross over with a studio 32 ch board, 4 Stage monitors powered by another crown amp !! various mic's and stands, Plus and my guitar amps and guitars,stands etc. I traded all my sound stuff a few years back for a 1963 chevy impala, and 1000.00 bucks!! darn good deal, but started down sizeing to stuff that would not kill me hauling it around, But I used to not even give it a 2nd thought to load all that stuff myself set up and take it down and unload it back at the house!! But today you can get stuff for the road that will not kill ya IMHO,
601blues
Regular

Postby 601blues » Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:02 pm

:D I tried that key board thru all my amps last night, The Yorkville bass,had no body,loud but sometin was lackin, Tried thu the delta 30,sounded very nice with no reverb, In the classic 50 seemed good as well,The Fender Twin set on volumn 2 was the best IMHO with the key board, Now the Marshall JCM 900 was as good or maybe better than the Fender,I thank due to being able to move more air with the 4/12's, So just for convence and easy transport I think I would take the delta Blues for my guitar and the fender Twin for the keyboards to my next gig
601blues
Regular

Postby ricochet » Wed Aug 01, 2007 2:38 pm

Some bass amps might not have enough top end. Remember, though, that all Hammonds through the B3 had an upper frequency cutoff of 6KHz, because Hammond thought the keyclick was a bad thing and that let all of the drawbar harmonics through. They had to go up to something like 10 KHz to let the extra harmonics on the H100 series get through, but that's high whistly stuff a lot of people can't even hear. You'd really miss the percussive sounds of a piano running it through a speaker like that, though. That's why Hammond clipped off the high frequencies, remember, to get rid of the key click. It's just like a person with high frequency hearing loss can still hear vowel sounds but can't hear consonants. Speech turns into a mushy, unintelligible mess, and music does much the same when you lose that "presence."

A bass amp that only uses big cone speakers in the 15" range will noticeably roll off the high end, as they'll probably roll off somewhere between 3-4 KHz, and a 12" guitar speaker will probably go up around 5 KHz. But lots of bass amps now use woofers for the bass with tweeters for the highs, and those are the ones that will make great keyboard amps.
ricochet
Regular

Postby 601blues » Wed Aug 01, 2007 2:52 pm

:shock: Thanks!! woofers and tweeters, Gotchaya that will give me somphin to look for!
601blues
Regular

Next

Return to Piano, Organ, & Keyboard