Can we share albums?

Ideas, likes, dislikes, recommendations, and opinions regarding the Big Road Blues web site and forums.

Can we share albums?

Postby §treetslim » Sat Jul 28, 2007 9:53 pm

with all these fileholding websites available,like megaupload and rapidshare,etc im wondering if we can trade blues albums in mp3 format?

I'd love to hear some the blues you guys have that i might not have heard before. Got some out of print stuff? lets share it on the internets!
§treetslim
Regular

Postby zhyla » Wed Nov 21, 2007 2:12 am

This is obviously a sticky subject. My personal opinion is that any copyright violations that happen would be the responsibility of the individual and the file sharing website, not this forum. But it's also irresponsible to encourage copyright violations within the forum. Note that I'm not saying what is and isn't illegal; you'll need to consult your lawyer for that.

To my knowledge we don't have a formal policy for this at the moment. Likewise, I don't know of any restrictions on what kinds of links you can post. Is that a vague enough answer? :)
zhyla
Site Admin

Postby rustyslide » Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:41 am

The server is running in the United States and is therefore governed by US copyright laws. I'm not an American lawyer, but I believe this precludes even linking to materials that are in violation of those laws.
rustyslide
Site Admin

Postby maxx england » Thu Nov 22, 2007 11:20 am

The transmission of copyright material through a site is obviously a legal minefield, so I will offer this thought for consideration: there is no restriction on anyone listing their collections, nor is there any restriction on any other person contacting them directly by PM and acquiring their email address.

If they then, as private citizens operating separately from this board, wish to transmit said material without any transmission through this board then any copyright problems devolve directly upon themselves and not this board.
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby zhyla » Thu Nov 22, 2007 9:42 pm

rustyslide wrote:The server is running in the United States and is therefore governed by US copyright laws. I'm not an American lawyer, but I believe this precludes even linking to materials that are in violation of those laws.

I've never heard that but it could be true. Sounds like something we don't want to mess around with. Even if it's not illegal nobody here wants to risk litigation over it.

I've been happy enough with the home brew stuff that lots of people post here that I don't see much need for sharing copyrighted material.
zhyla
Site Admin

Postby rustyslide » Fri Nov 23, 2007 2:34 pm

maxx england wrote:there is no restriction on anyone listing their collections, nor is there any restriction on any other person contacting them directly by PM and acquiring their email address.

If I can't see you do it then I can't catch you. However, be advised that all PMs are stored in a database I have access to, so I'd prefer if you'd just use email for anything of questionable legal merit.
rustyslide
Site Admin

Postby raiph » Fri Nov 23, 2007 6:12 pm

Copyright law is actually dead simple: "copyright" literally means "the right to copy".

It is illegal to make a copy, in any form, or by any means, of anything that belongs to someone else.
Further - it is illegal to publish, in any form, or by any means, anything that belongs to someone else. (You can't publish without copying.)

Unless, of course, the owner of the material has given permission for such copying.

(Making a photocopy of the crossword in The Times is technically as unlawful as ripping a CD to mp3 and sharing it via a P2P network.)

Interestingly, registration of copyright is not necessary for proof of ownership, neither does it prove ownership; it just helps as a link in the chain of proof should the need arise.
raiph
Regular

Postby rustyslide » Fri Nov 23, 2007 8:44 pm

It's simple, except for the differences in various countries...

We have something in Canada called fair use.

For instance, it is not illegal for me to make a copy of a CD a friend loans me (physically, not electronically), for example, but if I make a copy of my disk and give the copy away, that is illegal.

There is a levy on all blank media that goes into a pool that is somehow distributed to IP holders (artists/labels).

In Sweden, it is not illegal to point to pirated materials, which is why an infamous bittorrent tracker is run there - in order to maintain the status quo in Swedish copyright law (in light of intense lobbying), the maintainers founded the Pirate Party.

The server is in the US, and therefore all American laws apply to content we distribute. In addition every user is governed by whatever laws in their nation might try and censor their activities.
rustyslide
Site Admin

Postby allanlummox » Fri Nov 23, 2007 9:40 pm

"Copyright law is actually dead simple"

A thought to make one laugh till one gets mildly ill.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jeffl » Fri Nov 23, 2007 9:45 pm

I've always been kinda opposed to "bootlegging" or ripping files. I like to support the people out there workin' for a living. I even buy CDs from bands at fests that I don't even like that much...jus' to help 'em make ends meet.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby srvlives » Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:03 pm

Wow!.... where'd all the 'site admin' guys come from? :roll:
srvlives
Regular

Postby raiph » Sun Nov 25, 2007 1:14 pm

In Canada, there is a concept of "fair dealing", similar to that in the UK (and Australia), and similar to the "fair use" doctrine of United States copyright law ("fair use" is unique to the United States).
It is complex, but mainly concerned with academic use of material for, eg, citation.

"A thought to make one laugh till one gets mildly ill."
A typically unhelpful and meaningless comment.

Repeat: "Copyright law is actually dead simple", no matter the country; it can become complicated in its application (finding the true owner, for example, to obtain copying rights) or if contention of "right" arises.
But as far as the people using this board are concerned, it is simple: copy someone else's material, in any form, without permission, and you are stealing it. What's difficult about that?
raiph
Regular

Postby rustyslide » Sun Nov 25, 2007 2:06 pm

raiph wrote:In Canada, there is a concept of "fair dealing", <...> mainly concerned with academic use of material for, eg, citation.

I just looked it up and it's not called "fair use" in the laws here, but everyone calls it that*, and there is something called "fair dealing", but that wasn't what I was talking about, merely that we are allowed to make private copies of media that comes into our hands. It is widely believed here that our copyright laws are more permissive than the laws of the US, and that the recording industry is trying very hard to have Canadian copyright law tightened up to the levels of the US and the DCMA.

*presumably out of proximity to the US.

But as far as the people using this board are concerned, it is simple: copy someone else's material, in any form, without permission, and you are stealing it. What's difficult about that?

It's not, particularly. I could've been less ambiguous in my first post (#3), but I thought it was obvious that people shouldn't post material here for which they have no sanction (despite Streetslim's question). I was commenting on the posting of links to such, and despite the dead-simplicity of copyright everywhere, there are different laws in different countries with regard to that (e.g. Sweden).
rustyslide
Site Admin

Postby raiph » Sun Nov 25, 2007 3:46 pm

Tell you what: the nitty gritty doesn't actually matter in this case, and we'll soon have forgotten what the original point was, but I think we can all agree that,

- generally speaking, and in the eyes of the law in most places, to steal someone else's property is at least immoral, and in many countries, illegal;

- to host, or to carry links or pointers to sites that host, ripped off material is aiding and abetting the theft of that material and can be likened to "handling stolen goods";

- there are many means by which people can indulge themselves in theft, and sharing stolen property, by torrent or by P2P networks, without sullying the good name of BRB.

On the side, I wonder if Demonoid felt safer in Canada, and now wished they'd been in the USA (server-wise, that is).
raiph
Regular

Postby ricochet » Sun Nov 25, 2007 6:48 pm

srvlives wrote:Wow!.... where'd all the 'site admin' guys come from? :roll:

The main one comes from Canada. :D
ricochet
Regular

Next

Return to Suggestion Box and Opinions