two new mp3s..

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

two new mp3s..

Postby boogiechillun85 » Thu Jun 28, 2007 8:19 pm

I finally got around to recording a few things today... so here's a version of Tommy Johnson's "Maggie Campbell," and the traditional "Oh Death."
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/songInf ... ID=5500711

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/songInf ... ID=5500761

Thanks for listening,
boogiechillun85
Contributor
Contributor

Postby zhyla » Fri Jun 29, 2007 2:34 am

I really like the Oh Death one. Your songs seem kind of quiet for some reason.
zhyla
Site Admin

Postby boogiechillun85 » Fri Jun 29, 2007 3:34 am

Agh! I know... lol... My computer doesn't actually have a 'line in' jack, so I have to go through the mic input, which means I have to keep the levels fairly low so it doesn't distort. I don't know that my recordings are unreasonably low, but yes, I'd prefer a bit more volume myself.
boogiechillun85
Contributor
Contributor

Postby leftyguitarman » Fri Jun 29, 2007 6:54 am

I liked "Oh Death" quite a bit. Really cool song.
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby Rythameen » Fri Jun 29, 2007 3:18 pm

I really liked both of them, but I am a real sucker for Tommy Johnson, great stuff, really enjoyed them.
Rythameen
Regular

Postby boogiechillun85 » Fri Jun 29, 2007 3:59 pm

Thanks, guys.
Yeah, Tommy Johnson is definitely one of my favorites. Did I read somewhere recently they found a few undiscovered sides by him?
boogiechillun85
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jellyroll baker » Sun Jul 01, 2007 7:57 am

boogiechillun85 wrote:Agh! I know... lol... My computer doesn't actually have a 'line in' jack, so I have to go through the mic input, which means I have to keep the levels fairly low so it doesn't distort. I don't know that my recordings are unreasonably low, but yes, I'd prefer a bit more volume myself.

There's a function in Audacity that lets you raise the levels if needs be.

Oh and JESUS boy, you can SING! There are a million and one guys at there who can capture the pre-war guitar style but the vocals tend to elude them. Man, you've got those rhythms down pat. Great job.
jellyroll baker
Contributor
Contributor

Postby boogiechillun85 » Sun Jul 01, 2007 3:47 pm

Yeah, I do bump up the volume a bit on Audacity, but if you go up too far it ends up sounding like I'm running it through a fuzzbox.
Although, I had to decrease the quality of the mp3s so I could load them on over at Weenie Campbell, and I really liked that crackley sound. Maybe I'll just start doing that to everything, sound quality be damned.. lol...
Thanks, Matt. If you were say, on the same continent, I'd say we should get together and jam.. lol...
boogiechillun85
Contributor
Contributor

Postby musicalcarrion » Wed Jul 04, 2007 2:02 pm

boogiechillun85 wrote:Yeah, I do bump up the volume a bit on Audacity, but if you go up too far it ends up sounding like I'm running it through a fuzzbox.

If you're using Audacity, you can select the whole track and use the amplify effect. Just check the box telling it not to allow clipping and you should be OK.
musicalcarrion
Regular

Postby boogiechillun85 » Wed Jul 04, 2007 2:04 pm

Hmmmm.. i'll have to try that.. right now all I do is drag that little meter on the side of the track up a little bit and hope it doesn't distort. Thanks!
boogiechillun85
Contributor
Contributor

Postby musicalcarrion » Wed Jul 04, 2007 2:20 pm

Here's a few tips. You may already know this stuff, so feel free to ignore it :-)

Ignore your output volume for the moment (top-left slider). Set the input volume from the mic port such that you're never going to clip/distort. You can do this by clicking on the drop-down menu next to the mic logo and meter in the top-right corner and select 'Monitor input'. The meter will light up as you play. It should never get within 10-20% of the right edge.

Once you've recorded the stuff you want, and cropped out the stuff you don't want (start and end noise usually), apply any effects you need. Make sure that the amplify effect is done last, as even a slight bit of reverb on a signal that's already normalised can cause it to clip.

Also, make sure you keep a copy of the audio file as an Audacity project or wave file, as MP3s are lossy. Each time you open and then save an MP3, you'll lose something.

For those that like to mess with effects, I helped an Australian duet with something of theirs and for fun we used the LADSPA LoFi effect to age the recording a little:

http://upside-down.musicalcarrion.com/t ... -stone.mp3

:-)
musicalcarrion
Regular

Postby boogiechillun85 » Wed Jul 04, 2007 3:15 pm

Thanks for the tips. I already do the first part, but I think just the advice about the 'amplify' effect is going to help me immensely. It's amazing the simple stuff you can just gloss over.. I'm just trying to bump up the volume a little bit without that ANNOYING hiss in the background. It's funny, I don't so much care about EQ or anything like that -low end, high end, etc etc- but if there's just a little bit of "ssssssssss.." in that one second before the song starts it just kills it for me.
And it never bothers me on other people's songs.. lol...
I REALLY like that song you put up here. Very nice.
boogiechillun85
Contributor
Contributor

Postby musicalcarrion » Thu Jul 05, 2007 2:25 am

boogiechillun85 wrote:Thanks for the tips. I already do the first part, but I think just the advice about the 'amplify' effect is going to help me immensely. It's amazing the simple stuff you can just gloss over.. I'm just trying to bump up the volume a little bit without that ANNOYING hiss in the background. It's funny, I don't so much care about EQ or anything like that -low end, high end, etc etc- but if there's just a little bit of "ssssssssss.." in that one second before the song starts it just kills it for me.

The main difference between the slider in the top-left corner and the amplify effect is that the slider just controls the volume you hear it at, whereas the amplify effect changes the track itself to control the volume that *everybody* hears at.

boogiechillun85 wrote:I REALLY like that song you put up here. Very nice.

Thanks. I'll let them know.
musicalcarrion
Regular

Return to Guitar