a hello and situation i need help with...

Required: Just registered? Give us a short introduction. You won't be able to post anywhere else until you have an approved post here.

Everything else -- questions, comments, observations -- should find a home in the other forums.

a hello and situation i need help with...

Postby elix » Mon Nov 21, 2005 11:02 pm

I figured i'd introduce myself here, just a quick hello from a seventeen year old..... :)

I'm really looking for an answer to my problem that i'm currently in, hopefully i've come to the right place.

I've been playing guitar for maybe a year now...on and off. I picked it up from my brother, who's been playing much longer than me and recently have fell in love with classic blues. Here's the problem, i'm left handed. I've been playing on a right-handed guitar and always thought it was good idea (because if i ever ran into a guitar at a friend's house, I could just pick it up and play). Since i've been exploring blues, i've noticed that it's gonna be alot tougher to play if I continue going the way I've been doing it. The only thing holding me back from picking up a lefty guitar is having to learn all that I know (which is mostly just picking stuff, not much) ...learning that over again. Plus having to look for a resonator (which is something I had in mind to get)...i'm assuming it will be pretty hard to find a left-handed resonator in my price range somewhere at a shop nearby.

I know I shouldn't have ever started learning from the start how to do it wrong and I think i'm willing to sacrifice my current knowledge to start over. I don't think it should be to hard to re-learn playing in a different way, hopefully......what do you recommend?
elix
Regular

RE: a hello and situation i need help with...

Postby 1four5 » Mon Nov 21, 2005 11:16 pm

A friend and I started playing two years ago, he's a righty learning righty. I'm a lefty learning righty. My chording came natural, he has to work hard at it. His strumming came natural, I finally gave up, and went to fingerpicking, which came natural. Our playing compliments eachother big time. Between me and my buddies, we have guitars, banjos, basses, a mando, ukuleles, and even a fiddle. It's tremendous fun trying eachother's instruments, something I would totally miss out on if I had switched. My opinion is that it takes two hands to play a guitar, one is definately stronger than the other, but I also doubt that grass is greener on the other side, and it takes a hell of a lot of work either way. Hey, I really didn't offer much help, sorry man! Welcome to BRB, and keep us posted!!!
1four5
Regular

Postby elix » Tue Nov 22, 2005 12:24 am

I'm glad to see i'm not the only one, it helps to know that someone else is doing fine with my same situation :) and you having the chance to play all those is why I am hesitant to give up on it, just so if it happens to me, as I mentioned (sorta) in my first post. Hmmmmm....i'm just not sure. I'll be going to a guitar store before this thanksgiving week is over to check out a few resonators (hopefully in stock). I'm sitll not sure though.
elix
Regular

Postby panhead74 » Tue Nov 22, 2005 1:47 am

I agree with Dean on this (although I'm right handed).

You have to learn to play using both hands anyway.
panhead74
Regular

Postby panhead74 » Tue Nov 22, 2005 2:00 am

Hey, here's something that was in another thread regarding Duane Allman:

Also, Duane was in fact left-handed, despite playing the guitar as if right handed. This added strength in his fretting hand gave him a greater degree of control when bending notes or adding vibrato, plus it meant that his picking hand was not quite as strong, seeming to give him a very light touch. Listen to the version of Dreams from the debut album for an example of his extraordinary control over slow bends and slow vibrato. This also gave him added strength and dexterity with his pinky on his fretting hand.

http://www.100megsfree4.com/deltabluesm ... allman.htm
panhead74
Regular

Postby maxx england » Tue Nov 22, 2005 10:09 am

I'm a lefty, I never played right at all, but I know a few who do. The only real advice I will give is to find the way that is most comfortable and work at it, when you get down to it you are really playing for yourself and that's the person you have to keeop happy.

Welcome anyway, keep all the lights on, The Bottleneck is gonna getcha!!!!
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby pentatone » Tue Nov 22, 2005 11:27 am

Hi elix - welcome to the forum and all the nice blues people yo can find here.

To your playing technic - everything is possible. Just take a look at Otis Rush. He´s been a lefty and used to play right handed guitars by only turning them around while leaving the strings in the right hand configuration so that the high e-string was up and the low down on the fretboard. He´s one of my favourite guitarists and I´d guess that he once took a guitar he could find and figuered out how to play blues only following his ears without anyone teaching him how to play. If you see him it´s a little bit funny because it´s impossible for a banal guitarist like me to realize what he does on the fretboard.

My advice - it doesn´t matter how you lure the tones out of your guitar, as long as it is blues and you like it it´s allright.
pentatone
Regular

Postby ricochet » Tue Nov 22, 2005 7:29 pm

Hmmm, if it worked for Duane, that sounds like a pretty good recommendation for continuing what you're doing.

I've never really understood why there are lefty and righty guitars, when most instruments only come in one version that people seem to do fine with. Yeah, I've heard that thing about the dominant hand being better at the rhythmic activities like strumming, but if that's so, how do right handed pianists keep the rhythm going with their left hands?

But what do I know? I'm a righty, and I can't strum rhythmically with my right hand for crap.

Whatever works for you, that's what you need to do.

Welcome to the Big Road!

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
ricochet
Regular

Postby dgdgbd » Tue Nov 22, 2005 7:39 pm

I've dealt with Southpaws whove played diferent setups - Right Handed Strings Flipped Over, Right Handed, Reversed Side Tuning.

And I've met good, solid players in each style. The most educational situation was with a guy who player a guitar in regular standard tuning - flipped so the Bass strings were at the bottom and the neck was pointed to his right.

Couldn't figure out WHAT he was playing by looking - he'd invented his own Chord vocabulary. Had to use my ears.
dgdgbd
Regular

Postby elix » Wed Nov 23, 2005 4:46 am

Thanks so much for the input... I'm thinkin that i'm gonna stick with what i've dealt myself. I'll be off to find a resonator soon and from there, i'm gonna figure out how to learn to play =) So thanks again..

and pentatone, i'm going to look into Otis Rush and hopefully run into some videos of his so I can figure out a few things or two in my situation.

Thanks again for the comments.
elix
Regular

Postby houndog » Wed Nov 23, 2005 9:45 am

Hello,
I seem to recall that Woody Mann and Bob Brozman are L handed players who play with the R picking paw.

There is education for you.

Really what fits for you is what fits.

adios,
Lovat
houndog
Regular

Postby snakehips » Sat Nov 26, 2005 9:35 pm

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Nov-26-05 AT 04:37 PM (EST)]Hi there !!

Two main points to make here :

I am right handed (and play as such) BUT know quite a few left handed players, so I think I understand a little.

First off, Jimi Hendrix was left handed and played left handed on right handed guitars (changing around the strings into a regular left-handed guitar). He did pretty good most people would say !!!!!!!

Secondly, I know a few left handed players who can play both left handed AND right handed guitars, holding the guitar in left handed position (ie. string upside-down or not). It constantly amazes right handed players how lefties can do this - and gives you an extra cool factor !

My harmonica player is left-handed and also plays slide guitar for a few numbers at our gigs. He has a right-handed guitar strung up the other way, plays it "correctly" for a left handed player. Then he will pick up my electric (when I'm on piano) and plays mine "upside-down" fantastically. Mind boggling !!

You could have two guitars - one set up each way. Get used to playing both ways - will make you more versatile.
Turn up at a jam session without a guitar - if you can play a right handed guitar upside down, you are sorted !!

Don't try changing to conform to some sort of "rules" - be yourself and do it the way you want !! No way is the wrong way !!
snakehips
Regular

Postby michaelc » Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:58 pm

any way works,if it sounds good.albert king played left handed with bass strings on the bottom. jimi hendrix,left handed with bass strings on top.i`m lefty and i played 2 years with a right handed guitar flipped over,bass string on bottom.then i went and bought a left handed guitar then taught my self to play traditional set up. from my own experience with the bass on top setup.you have better access for chords. bending strings didn`t matter, up or down.so for this lefty i`m glad i learned bass string up.also ! there`s alot of info. out here for traditional players,nil for upside down players. what ever u do get down.......
michaelc
Regular

Postby maxx england » Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:10 am

I'm a lefty, play lefty open E. Do what feels comfortable, you're meant to enjoy this stuff, not endure it.

P.s.

Welcome.
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Return to A Bit About You