new to harp

Required: Just registered? Give us a short introduction. You won't be able to post anywhere else until you have an approved post here.

Everything else -- questions, comments, observations -- should find a home in the other forums.

new to harp

Postby wareagle2 » Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:41 pm

I have never played the blues harp before. But when i went out and bought an instruction book and a set of twelve harps in a case,I read the book and found it to be too intense and got nothing from it.Then went out to a club to listen to some blues ,picked up the right harp for the key the song was played in and just blew / draw hard into the holes the way i felt and it came out just fine.

Is it really necessary to learn each hole in a harp in order to play?

thanks

bob
wareagle2
Regular

RE: new to harp

Postby jeffl » Sat Apr 08, 2006 9:53 pm

It's necessary to know all the holes before you go very far,but I'd jus' buy a real basic harp instructional book at your music store first, preferably with an accompanying CD,and the book should point you in the right direction for a starter kit to music ,in general,and the blues harp specifically. You shouldn't have to spend more than $12.00 to $20.00,U.S. for something prob'ly 90% of the stores that sell instruments will have in stock. It sounds like you need an introduction to basic music,concerning chords,keys,rhythm,tone,etc.,so that you know how to identify different notes by name,and maybe chords by name. A beginning blues harp instruction book will take care of both these needs,usually.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby wareagle2 » Sat Apr 08, 2006 10:33 pm

Thanks bubba !

I already have basic book with notes and chords.But will take your advise and take the time to learn each hole.I do have the basic "c" harp and a "g" harp diatonic. But also have the set of twelve all note harps.

thanks again

bo
wareagle2
Regular

Postby lorilu » Sun Apr 09, 2006 12:35 am

Not to contradict anything Bubba said but some people just play without any of that. And I know some. I know at some point it is good to learn theory but sometimes it is whatever works to get you to play all the time. If you are already playing that way naturally it sounds like there is more to this. You might be a reincarnated blues player from a while back. Hey, ya never know. Maybe you are channeling one. There is a lot of mystery to music and there are a lot of players that never had formal training. One of my favorite harp players from around here is just so so good and does it all from intuition like you. Like Bubba said you may eventually want to look into knowing more. Welcome and enjoy. That's what it's about.
lorilu
Regular

Postby mickeypainless » Sun Apr 09, 2006 6:04 am

Welcome to da Road!
mickeypainless
Contributor
Contributor

Postby wareagle2 » Sun Apr 09, 2006 11:18 am

Thanks lorilu !

You bet I will continue to play as i feel.Can't figure out why ,but i think you hit it right on the head. Once i get the beat and key of a song ,i can play almost as good as the person playing on the song itself.I can match them note for note and I like the way it sounds.Perhaps I should tape myself to make sure im not makinga fool out of myself.But I will try to hit the books as bubba sugested ,although i find it boring.

later

bo
wareagle2
Regular

Postby wareagle2 » Sun Apr 09, 2006 11:19 am

that gives me even more encouragement.

thanks
wareagle2
Regular

Postby wareagle2 » Sun Apr 09, 2006 11:23 am

I will admit though ,to learn the holes of all twelve of my harps is going to be a real task. Are there any charts to show each hole blow/draw in harps with these keys starting with "A"

thanks again

bo
wareagle2
Regular

Postby ricochet » Sun Apr 09, 2006 5:48 pm

Welcome, Bo!

I see you're an Auburn fan.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
ricochet
Regular

Postby wareagle2 » Sun Apr 09, 2006 7:50 pm

thank you !

I try anyway.

bo
wareagle2
Regular

Postby lorilu » Tue Apr 11, 2006 2:00 pm

Hope I didn't pss off anyone I wasn't meaning to but I know what you are talking about, Eagle. If you go in the harp conference the guys are very knowledgable, like Bubba and Bosco and the other guys. They will be able to answer all your questions.
lorilu
Regular

Postby wareagle2 » Tue Apr 11, 2006 7:29 pm

will do and thanks again !

bob
wareagle2
Regular

Postby jeffl » Tue Apr 11, 2006 8:27 pm

>Hope I didn't pss off anyone I wasn't meaning to but I know
>what you are talking about, Eagle. If you go in the harp
>conference the guys are very knowledgable, like Bubba and
>Bosco and the other guys. They will be able to answer all
>your questions. LoriLu: I don't think you pissed anybody off,and I certainly understand that a person may be capable of jus' picking up an instrument and figuring out how to play it,'cuz some of the best players I've ever been around learn that way. I will always advise people to try to get knowledge from instructional sources,however--especially 'cuz harp players have been notorious for not knowing enough basic music to even communicate with other musicians about what is happening. I think everybody has different reasons for playing music,and not all people want to play in band scenarios,or even with other people. If a person wants to play with other musicians,IMHO it's an advantage (advantage,but not a necessity) to have a broad basic knowledge of music. On the other hand,I was shocked when I found out how many session players can't read music. I played with a guy in a hotel house band who could play guitar,keyboards,and wind and brass instruments,and didn't know what key he was in,or what chords he was playin'...but he could play circles around me (he couldn't communicate with me about what I needed to do very well,though) Are you getting my point?
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby wareagle2 » Tue Apr 11, 2006 8:51 pm

This sounds like me ! I can't read a note of music,but I can come up with a blues tune in my head and play it on a harp.It might take me a few times to chose the right keyed harp.I can play bluegrass banjo as long as i know how the tune goes. But the harp is something small that i can carry.And when a tune comes on the radio ,i break out my case of twelve ,search for the right key and go to town.But I can't talk the talk.

bo
wareagle2
Regular

Postby jeffl » Tue Apr 11, 2006 9:14 pm

I think that one of the wonderful things about music is that it brings all types of different people together. You definitely don't have to be smart,or ambitious,or nice,or mean,or anything,to play music. I wish I wuz' a better "natural" musician,'cuz I seem to have to work alot to get to where I can play even half-way decent; and I realize that it's pointless to compare yourself to anybody else,'cuz it doesn't matter anyway. I jus' like playin' with the best musicians I can,and since I don't have great natural ability,that means I gotta try to put in the practice,and with a 55 hr./wk. day job,that is a challenge. I'll never be able to make up for the lost time when I quit playin' for 10 years,and my old buddies were out there giggin' and learnin' tunes and other surrounding knowledge. I'm thankful I'm playin' again though.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Next

Return to A Bit About You