goin out for some blues tonight

The lowdown on the Mississippi Sax. Just for Google, this section is about harmonicas.

goin out for some blues tonight

Postby jagarner70 » Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:45 pm

Im going out tonight to listen to a couple of guys from the Chicago area. They are playing at the Harlem Ave Lounge in Berwyn. Joe Filisko and Eric Noden. I've heard that they are very good together.
jagarner70
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jeffl » Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:51 pm

That sounds like a good time. I work in a town of about 90,000 population. Nothin' happens on Tuesday nites in this town.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

small town

Postby jagarner70 » Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:26 pm

well I live and work in a small country town with a population of 1,500 but I am driving the 90 minutes each way to hear some music. My wife thinks Im crazy and I cant put up much of an argument.
jagarner70
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bosco » Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:40 am

Never heard of Mr Noden, but Joe Filisko is known far and wide for his customized harmonicas that can cost a couple hundred dollars and the waiting list was up to over a year last I heard.

I think BBQ was always plugging Joe's handiwork.

Have fun, jag!

we'll expect a full report...
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Joe Filisko

Postby jagarner70 » Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:21 pm

Well last night was worth the trip. The two together played allot of old songs from the 20' 30's & before. Joe is as much a historian as he is a player and man can he play. I have no doubt that he will be the best that I ever hear live. The sounds and techinques were unbelievable. I am a rookie but my instructor teaches with Joe and the two are friends. This gave me the chance to play one of the custom harps at practice one night. It was like driving a racecar! One a side note. Both guys were extremely friendly and approachable for comments and questions.
jagarner70
Contributor
Contributor

Postby steel1953 » Thu Mar 22, 2007 5:10 am

Wow.........now that was some music. I've been wanting to get up there for some time and take a lesson or two from Joe, just to get some street creds for teaching.
But for me, it's 3 hours to Chi-Town. I'm sure the lessons would be worth it. And the chance to play a Filisko harp? Priceless........
I'm curious JaGarner, what's your instructor's name? He teaches at the same place?

And your wife is right......you're crazy. Thank God! And thanks for the report....
steel1953
Contributor
Contributor

Postby dcblues » Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:54 pm

I've heard that Filikso is literally one of the world's best blues harp players. I wish he would record some time - he's one of these players I've heard great things about but never heard.
dcblues
Contributor
Contributor

instructor

Postby jagarner70 » Thu Mar 22, 2007 3:55 pm

My instructors name is Greg Gabor and he teaches with Joe at the Old Town School of Folk Music in Chicago. Joe has several cds available. I just bought one at the show the other night. Cost $15 and its worth it. Have you ever seen a guy play acoustically through a soup can? Cool old time sound. I would be willing to drive to Peoria to play sometime. I drive that far for lessons as it is.
jagarner70
Contributor
Contributor

Re: instructor

Postby dcblues » Thu Mar 22, 2007 4:55 pm

jagarner70 wrote:Have you ever seen a guy play acoustically through a soup can?

Billy Bizor was known to do that. I need to get some Filisko cds.
dcblues
Contributor
Contributor

cd available

Postby jagarner70 » Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:32 pm

http://www.ericnoden.com/Filisko_Noden/

You can find a link for the cd on this site.
jagarner70
Contributor
Contributor

Postby barbequebob » Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:50 pm

Joe Filisko is an excellent harp player and trust me, he knows his stuff well. He did a ton of research before finally being the very first to begin customizing diatonic harps around 1990 (prior to that, the only custom harps were chromatics) and he's still THE VERY BEST in the business, bar none and his turn around time is 18 months, and 99% of his customers are all big name pros and if they can wait that long, that should tell you something.
barbequebob
Contributor
Contributor

Postby 1armbandit » Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:21 pm

I'm going to a harp workshop tonight put on by Jimmie Meade a student and friend of Joe Filisko. This is mostly a tongue blocking workshop but Jimmie will be pimmping his 8-week Filisko method course. I'll have to see what the schedule is like before I commit.
This is in KC by the way, 75 miles from my house. I hope I can work it out. Jimmie is the harp player for Levee Town and is an instructor in Lawrence and KC, I can't afford his private lessons but the 8 week course is a good deal.
1armbandit
Contributor
Contributor

Return to Blues Harp