Elixir Resophonic Strings

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

Elixir Resophonic Strings

Postby roman » Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:40 pm

I have recently migrated into the slide guitar arena. And I must say, why did it take so long?

Anyway, I have a Gold Tone BPRD and Fender F48. They are very well suited for me, at least at this stage. They currently have light guage strings since I originally have been playing in standard tuning (finger picking) without a slide. Well, now that I've been getting into slide, as you can imagine, the light strings just won't do.

Has anyone used the Elixir Reso strings (.016 - .056) and have an opinion?

I use the Elixirs (PBs) on all of my acoustics. I'm not crazy about the Polywebs, but on the Resos I'm not sure.

Thanks for any response . . .
roman
Regular

Postby slickcat » Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:18 pm

I like Elixer polywebs.....but the cost keeps me buying D'Addario flatop reso strings.
slickcat
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bluesmcgoo » Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:31 pm

Well, I really like the Elixir PB's a whole lot. I have them on all my acoustics and I have a set of 11's, I believe, on my tricone. I don't play slide on that, though - I use it for fingerpickin' in standard tuning, but they do sound exceptional on that guitar.

I still swear by Newtone strings for the rest of my resos.
bluesmcgoo
Contributor
Contributor

Postby txslide » Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:02 pm

Sorry this is off-topic for this thread, but bluesmcgoo where do you buy your Newtones?

Thanks.
txslide
Regular

Postby bluesmcgoo » Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:43 pm

I get them from Elderly -

http://elderly.com/accessories/names/NA ... --NRGS.htm

They only carry med gauge sets (13's), but I've come to really like the mediums for slide.
bluesmcgoo
Contributor
Contributor

Postby roman » Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:50 pm

bluesmcgoo

Are you just fingerpicking and not using a slide? I ask because (and I'm real new at this) wouldn't the slide rattle on the frets with .013s?
roman
Regular

Postby txslide » Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:52 pm

Yes, I like light-medium or medium. I was disappointed to see that they only carry the PB version of the Newtones. I was interested in the Nickel version of that string. Maybe that's something you can only buy in the UK.

Thanks.
txslide
Regular

Postby txslide » Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:54 pm

I am playing all slide. It has a .012 on it now and does not rattle. I also don't get rattle on the .013 I have on my old Hohner dreadnought. I am using a heavier than standard Corcidin bottle copy.
txslide
Regular

Postby roman » Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:57 pm

txslide

Again, sorry for my ignorance . . .

Can you tell me how you have your guitars set up? Nut slots, neck relief, saddle height, etc.

I'm guessing proper technique will be the key to this whole thing for me.
roman
Regular

Postby txslide » Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:59 pm

roman..if you play with bare fingers like I do, you'll find it very hard to get good volume on real thick strings, at least on cheaper resos. I have never had the pleasure of playing a National with .015 or .016's.

It is interesting to note that Warren Haynes and Derek Trucks (Allman Brothers, Gov't Mule..and Derek Trucks Band) use .011 or .012 on their acoustic slide.

I played electric slide for a fairly long while on .009 before I got my reso so maybe I developed a light touch.
txslide
Regular

Postby roman » Wed Mar 21, 2007 5:05 pm

txslide

Thanks for the replies. I just rec'd Mike Dowling's DVD "Bottleneck Blues and Beyond". I'm (as you can tell) brand new to open tunings and slide.

A friend of mine who plays professionaly says he uses .016-.059 strings on his resonators (John Pearse). I was figuring a compromise with the Elixirs since they are .016-.056.

I've been using Elixir lights (.012-.053) on my regular guitars with a very low action, for finger picking.

I'm so confused :?
roman
Regular

Postby txslide » Wed Mar 21, 2007 5:21 pm

roman..

Well..I am not new to slide (I guess on and off for 15-20 years), but new to resos so there are better folks to answer setup questions..but my Fender FR-50CE is bone stock. 2.5mm action treble and 3mm bass at the 12th fret. It currently has .012-.052 PB's on it (the strings it came with). My Hohner dreadnought (I played slide on it for about 15-20 years on and off) has the action set to 2mm treble since I don't play slide that much. It has .013-.056 mainly because when I got it in the mid 70's, all acoustics came with those I got used to those.

I would say that unless your action is really, really low (but I think you have the Fender FR-48 so I know it has a rather high action) then rattles with a .012 or .013 are a technique issue or you also could have a slide that is too light. I would suggest a heavier than normal glass slide. I ordered mine from Scott Bernstein (the first to reproduce the famous Duane Allman Corcidin bottle slide):

http://rbnc.net/slide.html
..you want to buy the one called Heavyweight Classic.

Dunlop also makes Blues Bottle Heavy slides.

As far as technique goes, if you just sit down a little time each day and practiced just playing on the 1st string with as light of a touch as you could get away with that would likely help.

There are far more qualified folks here to answer the question, but I hope that helps.
txslide
Regular

Postby roman » Wed Mar 21, 2007 5:33 pm

txslide

I purchased the Dunlop 212 slide the other day as recommended by my pro friend (too bad he's in Louisville, KY and I'm in northern VA). It's pretty thick. I'll be using it on my pinky while still (hopefully) be able to fret with the other three fingers.

Right now I'm concentrating on open D . . . once I feel comfortable with that, I will incorperate open G too.

Thanks again . . .
roman
Regular

Postby txslide » Wed Mar 21, 2007 5:44 pm

.You are lucky to have a friend that play a reso professionally. That's cool!.
txslide
Regular

Postby roman » Wed Mar 21, 2007 5:50 pm

If anyone's interested, check out my buddy Cole here . . .

http://www.colestevens.net/
roman
Regular

Next

Return to Guitar