Hi!

Required: Just registered? Give us a short introduction. You won't be able to post anywhere else until you have an approved post here.

Everything else -- questions, comments, observations -- should find a home in the other forums.

Hi!

Postby qtheblues » Sat Apr 15, 2006 10:28 am

Harps suck best.

I'm 56 years old, started playing 'harmonica' at school, at around 11 years old. The school I attended had a policy that EVERY student would, by hook or by crook,learn to play a musical instrument in their time there. At the time, I was in my drumming infancy - my father was a jazz musician, and I'd started to accompany him (I started small-time gigging at around 12 years old). But lugging a premier kit onto a public bus for a 9 mile journey just wasn't an option, so I had to choose something else.
Recorders and such were looked on as 'girlie' and nudges were made in the direction of boys drifting toward that instrument. So, it was the macho harmonica for me. Did the standard "Go tell Aunt Nancy" stuff, but on the way home I used to 'entertain' other bus passengers with 'Home on the Range' and Camptown Races'.....Many passengers on that number 63 bus were probably wishing that they were on ANOTHER 63 bus, but nobody actually physically assaulted me.
Over the years, I've kept that affinity with the harps, but it wasn't untill fairly recently that I got into the blues side of harps. And love it!
Thanks for the website. It's nice to know that I'm not alone out there. And thanks for the numerous pieces of advice that we can all learn from.
Good on yah.....ALL of yah!
Bob Q
qtheblues
Regular

RE: Hi!

Postby jeffl » Sat Apr 15, 2006 12:35 pm

Hey BQ,welcome to the Road! I'm a harper,about your age,from Southern Minnesota. I was close to gettin' thrown off a bus for playin' harp once,but I quit playin' before that happened. We have some good harpers around here,some with a ton of experience.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Sat Apr 15, 2006 5:58 pm

Welcome, Q!

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
ricochet
Regular

Postby qtheblues » Sat Apr 15, 2006 6:58 pm

Harps suck best.

Thanks, guys. nice to feel welcome!
I should have said.....I'm from the U.K., but I think my heart's in Texas, Louisiana, Buffalo, hell, wherever.....South Coast, about six or seven miles from Brighton.
Wherever you hail from, I wish you the very best of blues.
BobQ
qtheblues
Regular

Postby dancher » Mon Apr 17, 2006 12:46 am

i gotta know!! How do you guys do all that huffin n puffin with out passin out. love harp but gettin up off the floor is gettin old.
dancher
Regular

Postby podunk_phill » Tue Apr 18, 2006 7:15 am

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Apr-18-06 AT 03:16 AM (EST)]From across the pond A? Well it's to the back of the bus for you. Just kidding I play a little harp and just recently pick up a resonator guitar. Figured it would give me one more thing in life to be frustrated with besides my wife. Opp hope she don't read this.
Welcome aboard mate, one bit of advice this board has a certain mojo about it that will keep calling you back to stare at your monitor and makes you want to divulge your deep dark secrets about anything musical. So if you have any advice or any question feel free to join right in and make your self to home.
Phill
podunk_phill
Contributor
Contributor

Postby spud camp » Tue Apr 18, 2006 11:31 pm

Glad you could make it Q.
spud camp
Contributor
Contributor

Postby lorilu » Wed Apr 19, 2006 2:17 am

Hey Bob! Welcome and I loved your story. Good job. Come on in and make yourself at home.
lorilu
Regular

Postby maxx england » Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:15 am

Welcome, and make a space in your life for early next year when The Tribe meet at Broughton Astley, we had no blow sucker there this year.
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby long8hanks » Mon May 01, 2006 1:13 pm

.Hi. Bob welcome to asylum central .I myself only discovered this motherload a month back but by now I'm a hopeless addict.I've been shapeshifting of late, one manifestation being an old delta bluesman from a muddy bayou....well I am old.... live near a canal and the back bedroom's damp....enjoy the road...dying and going to heaven spring's to mind
long8hanks
Regular

Postby qtheblues » Tue May 02, 2006 1:01 pm

Harps suck best.

Well.....what a welcome!!!!
What can I say? Thanks you all so much for making me feel so at home. I look forward to Boughton Astley next year. maybe I can arrange things so that I could slide in for an hour or two.
To the guy wondering about 'huffing & puffing'....don't huff & puff so hard, you shouldn't have to. Let the mic do the work!

The only problem with this part of the world is that the gigs are drying up. Try canvassing for new gigs and you get "Blues? Oh yeah, that's that depressing stuff, right? No chance. Take your sorry ass....etc", and this is happening more and more. Drop in a CD that you've spent a small fortune producing and they won't even listen to it.
I offered to set up regular jam sessions, mid-week, in a local pub that's dead on wednesday evenings. Free! Even put in the back-line, PA the works. Nada. Waste of time.
'Nuff said - off the soap-box.
BobQ
qtheblues
Regular

Return to A Bit About You