cones

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

cones

Postby RESOrocket » Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:40 pm

i just traded another guitar for a tacoma steel body reso. the guy allready upgraded the cone to a quarterman w/new biscuit.
ive used quaterman's in the past but havnt liked the results. what do you guys recomend? ive got a nati' cone and im thinking about putting it in it with a carbon fibre biscuit. than 8) ks
RESOrocket
Regular

Postby ricochet » Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:43 pm

Go with your plan. I know the Quarterman cones aren't the greatest in a tricone (I have some here), and I've often heard the same about them in the biscuits (which I don't have.)
ricochet
Regular

Postby allanlummox » Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:55 pm

I hadn't seen any Tacoma resonator guitars - didn't know they were making them.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bignick » Wed Mar 07, 2007 6:12 pm

Boy do I love cones. I've seen some nice ones! :twisted:

Sorry guys, couldn't resist.
bignick
Regular

Postby RESOrocket » Wed Mar 07, 2007 6:32 pm

from what i gathered tacoma imports them from off shore under the name ORPHEUM.

rico, my regal tricone had quatermans in it and it sounded like $hit. i put a set of nati's in it with their t-bridge and did a few other mods and it realy sings now.
im also replacacing the nasty looking coverplate that comes on it with a national cover plate and i may slot and reshape the peg head,maybe add a pickup with direct out to a 1/4 mono...

heres a link to a uk dist. i couldnt get the dirrect link to tacoma to work. http://en.woodbrass.com/product_info.ph ... &af=35
RESOrocket
Regular

Postby allanlummox » Wed Mar 07, 2007 6:58 pm

So your guitar says Tacoma or Orpheum on the headstock?
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby RESOrocket » Wed Mar 07, 2007 7:03 pm

ill know friday when it gets here from OKlahoma.

if you go to tacoma's website the line is on their pdf catalog.
RESOrocket
Regular

Postby allanlummox » Wed Mar 07, 2007 7:17 pm

Huh.

In that case, I'd recommend actually hearing the guitar before planning the modifications.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby texas blues » Wed Mar 07, 2007 7:25 pm

I have an Orpheum wood bodied spider cone reso. Made in China. Bought it 3 years ago and compared it to the Gibbo Hounddog and Fenders and a few others. Hands down the winner for my taste. Sounds great. I just installed a K&K p/u. I know several cats who have National guitars that I drool over. They drool over my Orpheum. I like to be liking este guitaro foreber. When ju play eet, ju too will say..."aayyeeee!"
texas blues
Regular

Postby RESOrocket » Fri Mar 16, 2007 8:50 pm

i played it for 2 weeks.....didnt like the quaterman, pulled it out put in a national cone,carbon fibre biscuit,national coverplate and grover roTomatic locking machines,neck stick was about 1/2in too short at the tail, i cut a peice of red oak and put in to shim it up. did a fianal setup, plays great.

next ill be adding electronics to it. trasducer on the cone, seymour duncan 59 in the neck position,3 way switch and tone and volume pots.....i set one up for a friend like that and it worked well fo him.....
RESOrocket
Regular

Postby zhyla » Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:55 pm

The carbon fiber biscuit is a worthy upgrade. I haven't heard of anybody taking it out once they put one in.
zhyla
Site Admin

Postby RESOrocket » Sat Mar 17, 2007 2:08 am

i may be nuts but this thing sounded dead with the quarterman in it. i put the national cone with the carbon fibre biscuit and this thing realy came alive....this thing now has that dirty,nasty,raspy single cone blues sound that i wanted...... few more personal mods and ill have a great all around reso....
RESOrocket
Regular

Postby allanlummox » Sat Mar 17, 2007 10:37 am

"The carbon fiber biscuit is a worthy upgrade. I haven't heard of anybody taking it out once they put one in."

Ditto.

When I have to change the biscuit in my Delphi, I'll put one in there.

I have one in a Regal, and it really makes the guitar workable - with a Fishman pickup, into a preamp, into a board. The guitar still doesn't put nearly as much in the air, or into a Mic, as the Delphi.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby RESOrocket » Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:27 pm

as uch fun as this one is i do belive its gonna be for sale soon. a national localy has caught my eye and the price is good on it....im probly gonna pull the national cone out of the ORPHO' and put the stock cone and coverplate back on and throw it to the vultures on ebay....
RESOrocket
Regular

Postby houndog » Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:36 pm

Well,
mebs I'll pull the dobbie out from under the bed ( and take off the 12's Bottleneck John put on it :lol: ..tell ya ..eh..sheesh-arooni ) and fit a carbon fibre biscuit .

But where do you buy these wonderful biscuits ?

adios,
Lovat
houndog
Regular

Next

Return to Guitar