Blues from Sweden..!!

Required: Just registered? Give us a short introduction. You won't be able to post anywhere else until you have an approved post here.

Everything else -- questions, comments, observations -- should find a home in the other forums.

Blues from Sweden..!!

Postby bottleneckjohn » Mon Apr 19, 2004 8:22 pm

Hi all!! :)

My name is Bottleneck John, I´m a blues singer and slide guitar player from Sweden!

I´m new here, it seems to be a great forum so I'll be postin'..

Check me out, listen to soundclips and read about who this cat is!!

http://www.soundclick.com/bottleneckjohn (english)

http://www.johaneliasson.com (swedish) Lots of photos here!

OK, be well Y'all...!!!

John
bottleneckjohn
Regular

RE: Blues from Sweden..!!

Postby slideshowbob » Mon Apr 19, 2004 8:30 pm

howdy BottleneckJohn ! Welcome !!I'm new here myself! but i already heard your stuff and been to your sites via the other message board. great voice and guitar playing! nice bunch of old guitars too! questions john, i noticed your Johnson tricone has binding on the neck . did you buy it like that? also when you modified the headstock did you remove the neck? sorry for all the questions...bob
slideshowbob
Regular

Postby ricochet » Mon Apr 19, 2004 9:27 pm

Welcome, John! Good to see you on here!

I like your recordings a lot!
ricochet
Regular

Postby bluesmcgoo » Tue Apr 20, 2004 2:18 am

Hey John!

Welcome to the Big Road!

You can count me as another fan. Great to see you here.

Enjoy!

McGoo
bluesmcgoo
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bottleneckjohn » Tue Apr 20, 2004 5:53 am

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Apr-20-04 AT 06:24 AM (EST)]Hey guys!! Thanks for your kind welcoming words!
I'm gonna feel right at home here!

Bob: Yes, I'm grateful that there was white binding on my guitar when I bought it, it seems rare on Johnsons these days!
It's really a "Vintage" guitar, I think it's a english brand, I bought it in London 2 years ago.. They all had white binding..
My modification of the headstock was made without removing the neck, I just cut slots and fitted some real old tuners from 1910-20's..!!

It works great and it LOOKS great too!! Has fooled many "experts" LOL
:)

OK, be well Y'all..!!!
Later!

http://www.johaneliasson.com/soloaffisch2.jpg

http://www.johaneliasson.com/Triolianbaksida.jpg
bottleneckjohn
Regular

Postby bottleneckjohn » Tue Apr 20, 2004 6:11 am

Hey McGoo!! I'm a fan of yours as well!!!
Great playing and singing my friend!! Amazing Grace is amazing, one of my favourites too!!

And I see you've got a Washburn R306... I'VE BEEN LOKKING FOR ONE OF THOSE FOR YEARS.. Aaaargh.. OK, now I'm a little bit jealous.. Just a little..!! ;)

I'm gonna get me a Washburn one of these days!!
bottleneckjohn
Regular

Postby diamond » Tue Apr 20, 2004 6:37 am

Welcome B.J.!! 'bout time you headed over here buddy - Good to have you on board...and i'm also one of the '...been a BIG fan of you music for some time...' boy's on this forum!!;)

Happy Slidin'

Big D.

http://www.diamondbottlenecks.com
diamond
Regular

Postby stumblin » Tue Apr 20, 2004 6:50 am

Hi John,
I could've sworn you were already a member!
Perhaps the old memory plays tricks...
Anyhoo, welcome aboard.
Welcome also to all the other new guys who've joined up in the last few weeks.
stumblin
Regular

Postby bottleneckjohn » Tue Apr 20, 2004 8:08 am

Big D and Stumblin:

Thanks for the welcome!! We know each other from other forum though!
Nice to see that you guys are here as well!!

Hey Big D, I´ve AT LAST ordered one of your excellent slides from Janne Höijer in Sweden!! I really look forward to try it out!
Heard A LOT of good things about you and the slides, bro!!

Be well y'all..
bottleneckjohn
Regular

Postby bluesmcgoo » Tue Apr 20, 2004 2:01 pm

Thanks John!

Yeah, that Washburn's a great guitar. I see R306s on eBay from time to time. I'll try to remember to give you a heads up next time I see one.
bluesmcgoo
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Tue Apr 20, 2004 2:22 pm

John, when did you buy your Johnson Tricone?

Johnson Tricones used to be built by Czechs. Without changing the names or model numbers, Johnson switched their source to a Chinese builder. I think this was done sometime in 2001. My Chinese Style 1 Johnson that I ordered in March 2002 is serial # 109. About that time the usual asking price from online dealers had just abruptly dropped from about $1500 to about $1000 US. (Until quite recently there have been online dealers still advertising unsold Czech Johnsons at double the price that dealers like http://coast2coastmusic.com/ have been selling the Chinese ones for.) Apparently Regal Tricones are still being made by the Czechs, and are now advertised at just under $1000, whereas PappyJ will sell a Chinese Johnson Tricone to BRB members with a nice wooden hardshell case for $519 including shipping within the United States. (Plus sales tax for Marylanders.)

Anyway, a difference in the maker might account for the binding. I haven't seen a Chinese Johnson pictured with binding on it.

(I try to avoid those kinds of websites.)
ricochet
Regular

Postby slideshowbob » Tue Apr 20, 2004 6:58 pm

just got my tricone! Not as excited as I ought to be! Mind you , as i sit here ready to gripe, its starting to sound better! But!! mine came with a black plastic T bridge , not the cast aluminiumn.! Also I realize all factory guits need an immediate string change , the factory strings were strung "through" the tailpiece. .....got sidetracked(am pickin while typin')strung her up w D'Addario 13-56 Phos.Bronze..As is ,in open D, its got a big booming bass and mellow highs( wow these srtings are not nearly as red as they used to be! there the same color as those cheaper Peavy Mississippi 's that i string my acoustics with!) But hey! now i can catch up on some sleep! Was like a child waiting for Santa to get here(that's pretty sad considering I'm 48 years old!) ..sorry just realized i should have posted as a new topic! please forgive me (i'm too tired too re-type!) bob
slideshowbob
Regular

Postby bottleneckjohn » Tue Apr 20, 2004 7:08 pm

A black PLASTIC bridge..???

Hmm, that can't sound well.. Sorry to hear that!

Good luck with your reso!!
bottleneckjohn
Regular

Postby bluesmcgoo » Tue Apr 20, 2004 7:48 pm

Hey Bob!

When I first got my Johnson Tricone, I thought it was a black plastic bridge also, turns out it's black cast metal. I discovered this with no small amount of relief when I put the National cones in it.

Also, the strings are supposed to be strung through the tailpiece. Maybe I'm not getting the right picture.
bluesmcgoo
Contributor
Contributor

Postby slideshowbob » Tue Apr 20, 2004 8:27 pm

HA ! Go figure!! man am i stupid! turns out mines black metal too! Man i need some sleep!! just had to E-mail the supplier and tell him to disregard my previuos e mail on account of I don't know what I'm talking about:+ ...... Blue!! in regards to the tail piece ; i meant that the ball ends of the strings were sticking out on the top side of the tailpiece rather than sitting down in the holes as if to put more load on the cones.. Thanks for the positive feedback on the "plastic" bridge...bob
slideshowbob
Regular

Next

Return to A Bit About You