Blues Tales Book

Required: Just registered? Give us a short introduction. You won't be able to post anywhere else until you have an approved post here.

Everything else -- questions, comments, observations -- should find a home in the other forums.

Blues Tales Book

Postby wish » Mon Apr 24, 2006 2:20 am

I just joined to post this... please pass this around to anybody interested.. This ought to be a fun project.. thanks.. wish

Blues Tales

My name is Steve "Wish" Wishnevsky, and I have played the blues for over forty years. I am a published historian, with one book due out in June and another almost finished.

I am working on a book, "Pale Dude Blues" on the white blues players, from Jimmie Rogers to date, and am soliciting Blues Tales, short reminisces on how you became a blues player, meetings with Old School Bluesmen, travails on the road, epiphanies, hard times, good times, wild times, illuminations, tales of dope and glory, essays on being a pale blues dude and anything else you have..

When I say "white" I mean anybody not from Clarkesdale, Ms, no matter your skin color. I am interested in how the music of the most oppressed people in American became the default idiom of musical expression for the whole world.

My email is wishnevs@bellsouth.net, and my phone is 336-661-9060.. Thanks a lot..

If you ever wanted to be "in the book" here is you chance to help write it…wish
wish
Regular

RE: Blues Tales Book

Postby ricochet » Mon Apr 24, 2006 2:22 am

Stick around, Wish!

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
ricochet
Regular

Postby david » Mon Apr 24, 2006 12:14 pm

Where's Blues Writer when you need him?
david
Contributor
Contributor

Postby wish » Sun May 07, 2006 4:27 pm

Getting a little action on the book.. Got stories from Bob Margolin, Catfish Keith, Del Rey, and replies from a few more... you're next
wish
Regular

Postby david » Sun May 07, 2006 5:28 pm

Name dropping is always helpful in getting the pump primed and the flow started.

But you won't have the really big draw till you get Deaf David on board; and he ain't easy, or cheap.
david
Contributor
Contributor

Postby wish » Sun May 07, 2006 6:13 pm

i got "Hard of Hearing Cleotis Johnson". .. And "Slightly Lame Lofton".. btw, i am also collecting Mojo Names for this book... like "Blild Boy Grunt" and "Blind Mortise and Tenon" The blues carpenters,..
wish
Regular

Postby ricochet » Sun May 07, 2006 7:30 pm

I think it'd be a bit presumptuous for a home-and-back-office blues player and blues forum yapper like me to write a "how a middle aged, middle class white guy like me came to love the blues" essay. As if anybody'd care.

ricochet
Regular

Postby wish » Sun May 07, 2006 9:35 pm

I don't see why. This is all about the sociology, so one story is as good as another... The process is like making a mosaic. A data point here and one there and eventually a picture emerges... Everybody is somebody.
wish
Regular

Postby ricochet » Sun May 07, 2006 10:19 pm

Well, you've got a point there...

ricochet
Regular

Postby wish » Sun May 07, 2006 10:38 pm

but you cant see it when i wear my blue fedora
wish
Regular

Postby david » Sun May 07, 2006 10:40 pm

In all seriousness, I would think the LACK of interest in the blues in the regions it is associated with would be just as interesting a study.

Even the names of the various genre within blues are place specific. I think you'll find less interest in the blues in those places than in scattered locations--like the membership of this board.

Personally, it was the association of the blues with a set of experiences within the human condition that made me appreciate the "feel" of the blues.

Some folks are willing to turn and embrace that and others try to fend it off (we did just pass Freud's 150th birthday). I think most people find something appealing about the blues, but it takes something unique to dig that out and turn it into art.
david
Contributor
Contributor

Postby wish » Sun May 07, 2006 10:52 pm

Well, i used to complain the the local "Piedmont Blues preservation Society" never played piedmont blues, like Blind Boy Fuller. But in fact, blues is a default music all over the world, like that "Gengis Blues". Now it may be changing, but i hear of an electric blues craze in Kiev and so on...I know a guy that used to play harp with a band in Cairo egypt..

And living or extinct, it's all history. I am just finishing up a book on Old Time String BAnd music, which is a lot smaller than blues, and it seems to be attracting interest.. so, they say write what you know, and i know about pale blues guys..
wish
Regular

Postby ricochet » Mon May 08, 2006 4:58 pm

Wish, see this:
http://www.bigroadblues.com/dcforum/DCF ... 804.html#5

ricochet
Regular

Postby wish » Mon May 08, 2006 5:03 pm

perfect.. want to give me your name and stuff for credit?.. thanks a lot..
wish
Regular

Postby ricochet » Mon May 08, 2006 5:14 pm

I'm John Culp, from Bristol, Tennessee.

ricochet
Regular

Next

Return to A Bit About You