Greatest Acoustic for the blues?

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

Greatest Acoustic for the blues?

Postby bjackson » Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:01 am

Hey folks.

I know this is a question with no answer but give me some opinions on your favorite acoustic guitars for the blues. I will be fretting AND sliding and just want a good player. Not a top notch Martin or Taylor but maybe mid range? ($300-700)I picked up an Alvarez with a cedar top the other day. Gorgeous and sounded real nice!! Wanted to see if anyone just hated Alvarez or if they were pretty good. Anyway, any opinions are appreciated. I like to research before I throw down the green.

BJ
bjackson
Regular

Postby songdog » Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:37 am

You can't go wrong with an Alvarez. I've been playing one since 1978.
songdog
Contributor
Contributor

Postby dogbite » Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:57 pm

cedar will give you a more mellow sound. that wood is used on classical guitars.
for a brighter sound spruce is used...as we all know form most of our guitars.
I think an Alveraz in cedar would be nice.
dogbite
Regular

Postby maxx england » Thu Nov 09, 2006 3:07 pm

Badffinger had a nice little Martin at Broughton Astley. Not a "big" sound, but such a lovely sweet tone.
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

new Guilds?

Postby WeirdOlAndrew » Thu Nov 09, 2006 7:42 pm

I played one of those Chinese Guild dreadnoughts the other day. I have one of the great old Guild 12s from the 60s, and I was prepared to hate the new one. Flat surprised me, it did. Very nicely built, no visible flaws, nice tone and easy to play. Given a little time to 'open up' it'll be a really nice guitar. Doesn't have quite the feel of quality my old one does, but for under a grand......hard to beat. I like the neck on a Guild, they're a tad wider than most, and make it easy for my big paws to fit. Might want to give one a try
WeirdOlAndrew
Regular

Re: Greatest Acoustic for the blues?

Postby cllvt » Fri Nov 10, 2006 4:17 pm

bjackson wrote:Hey folks.

I know this is a question with no answer but give me some opinions on your favorite acoustic guitars for the blues. I will be fretting AND sliding and just want a good player. Not a top notch Martin or Taylor but maybe mid range? ($300-700)I picked up an Alvarez with a cedar top the other day. Gorgeous and sounded real nice!! Wanted to see if anyone just hated Alvarez or if they were pretty good. Anyway, any opinions are appreciated. I like to research before I throw down the green.

BJ

All opinion as noted, but here's my thoughts:

1) The Alvarez guitars I have seen, played have been very nice guitars, and a great value for the $. I would not hesitate to buy one.
2) If you like cedar, you might check out the Seagulls, or others in the Godin line (Simon Patrick, etc)... they have some really nice cedar tops for the $. They have a simple "understated elegance" to the appearance that I like as well. I also like the fact that they are made in Canada, or Canada/USA, and are still a reasonable value.
3) BlueRidge - I have never played these, but friends of mine have, and they keep coming up as a good guitar/and value.

Best of luck! Guitar buying IS FUN! :D
cllvt
Regular

another thought....

Postby WeirdOlAndrew » Fri Nov 10, 2006 6:38 pm

don't pass up the idea of a used guitar, either. My Conrad 70's dread has a fine spruce top, Brazilian rosewood back and sides, and tone that goes on forever. Cost me a whole $80 in a junk store in Flagstaff, Az. I had the guys at Subway (http://www.fatdawg.com) put a bridge and bridgeplate on it for another $60, and one of these days the worn frets are going to annoy me sufficiently that I'll do a fret job. Still, even if I had the frets done, it'd be less than $500 total, and you couldn't replace the woods and tone for twice that. Some of the Oriental D18 knockoffs are very good, Yamaha especially, had some fine ones. There's a lot of old Harmonys and Regals around too, although prices on them are rising. Wander around and try every guitar you see, you may very well find something wonderful for $100. A lot of dogs and kindlin wood, too, but there's great ones out there. There's this about old ones, too. The tone's already opened up, so you know what its gonna be, and any potential faults, like a twisty neck or fragle wood will have shown up long since. Gotta watch for damage, especially heat damage, but that's usually obvious. Its a lot of fun, to, hunting out a great oldie.

Good hunting
WeirdOlAndrew
Regular

Postby Tricone » Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:50 pm

Pretty much anything will work since so much of the blues is in the players attitude. A friend just got an old Regal from the 30's for around 300. A little work and he's got a great instrument for slide and picking.
Tricone
Regular

The deed is done

Postby bjackson » Tue Nov 14, 2006 4:28 pm

Man I am weak when it comes to new guitars.

I bought that Alvarez PD85SCAV with solid cedar top and matte satin finish. UNBELIEVABLE! Man it looks good and sounds like smooth silk, mellow as can be with nice bass tones.

If you guys haven't seen these pre-amps on the new alvarez's check them out. A pretty nice tuner is built right in and you can easily remove the whole assembly and just plug in an auxillary pickup/mic and reassemble. The controls then allow you to mix whatever aux you have installed and the piezo under the bridge.

The included piezo sounds good enough but I can't wait to fool around with an acoustic with multiple pup options. One guy I know has one and he actually gets an incredibly nasty growling electric tone with an aftermarket sound hole pickup mixed with his piezo.

Happy hunting.

B
bjackson
Regular

Postby guitarslim101 » Wed Nov 15, 2006 3:08 am

You can never go wrong with an old archtop.
guitarslim101
Regular

Re: The deed is done

Postby cllvt » Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:00 pm

bjackson wrote:Man I am weak when it comes to new guitars.

I bought that Alvarez PD85SCAV with solid cedar top and matte satin finish. UNBELIEVABLE! Man it looks good and sounds like smooth silk, mellow as can be with nice bass tones.

If you guys haven't seen these pre-amps on the new alvarez's check them out. A pretty nice tuner is built right in and you can easily remove the whole assembly and just plug in an auxillary pickup/mic and reassemble. The controls then allow you to mix whatever aux you have installed and the piezo under the bridge.

The included piezo sounds good enough but I can't wait to fool around with an acoustic with multiple pup options. One guy I know has one and he actually gets an incredibly nasty growling electric tone with an aftermarket sound hole pickup mixed with his piezo.

Happy hunting.

B

Looks real sweet. Enjoy!
cllvt
Regular

Postby bobby81 » Mon Dec 11, 2006 7:18 pm

ever try a reso? the goldtone/beard's are in your price range and they have a great acoustic sound played either fingerstyle or slide.
bobby81
Regular

Postby JohnnyPistols » Sat Dec 16, 2006 12:53 pm

I know this sounds weird, but I've got a Takamine that sounds great playing the blues. Put some Martin strings on it and it sounds amazing.
JohnnyPistols
Regular

Postby pappyj » Sat Dec 16, 2006 2:57 pm

I just got a brand new solid spruce/rosewood Martin D-15 an I have to say it's the nicest guitar I've played. The tone from the deep lows to the sparkling highs is fantastic. The cost including a Martin hard case and a lifetime warranty was $899 including shipping. I personally don't think it can be beat. Since the D-15 is normally an all mahogany guitar this one is considered "custom".

I normally would not point some to a competitor, but there is no where else to get this particular guitar. It was apparently commissioned for a limited run by Musician's Friend. Here is the URL if you want to check it out:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ ... sku=515888
pappyj
Site Admin

Postby 1four5 » Sat Dec 16, 2006 3:23 pm

On the other end of the spectrum, last week I got a 70's era Yamaha dread from goodwill for $35. Structurally sound, mildly beat up, suprisingly good action, and all I had to do was restring it. Sounds like a guitar, not knock dead tone, but really good. The best part is that I can't get all up on it...hammer the crap out of it, pass it around, spill stuff on it and not worry too much. It sits in the corner on a stand now ready to serve me at any instant. I've had more fun with it in a week than I've had with my National in the last few months.
1four5
Regular

Next

Return to Guitar