Recommended Blues Listening

A discussion of the blues for blues lovers and fans.

Re: Recommended Blues Listening

Postby BlindLemonPledge » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:09 pm

Fred McDowell, Son House , Bukka White, Howlin' Wolf, Blind Willie Johnson, Tampa Red, Memphis Minnie, Sippie Wallace, Big Mama Thornton, Early Elvis Presely,
Muddy Waters, Hubert Sumlin, Elmore James, Johnny Winter, Buddy Guy, Skip James, Mississippi John Hurt, Albert Collins, B.B. King,Taj Mahal, Keb' Mo,SRV, T-Bone Walker, Danny Gatton, John Hammond Jr.,John Mayall, John Lee Hooker,Leadbelly,Albert King,E.C., and Robert Johnson are some of what I like. There are more but I can't list everyone............................ :D
BlindLemonPledge
Regular

Postby Jusatele » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:06 am

it would be hard for me to list essential listening,because it would all point back to early delta blues, Bronzy, Johnson, Jefferson, but I also love those who came from there, Waters,Guy, King etc, and then there are modern blues who have refined the basics BB, Cray etc.
I think blues is a religion, and like a religion we need to accept the breaks and splits. I wouldlove to put together a band that raps over traditional blues 12 bar progressions. Blasphemy you say !, no notat all but bringing the rap scene back to it's roots. Letting an entire new bunch of guys to discover what Blues is,and how it has influence every aspect of their music .
After all, Look at the song "king of the road" and tell me that country music is not influenced by the blues.
Jusatele
Regular

Postby Stackabones » Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:05 pm

Lists never get read, so I'll just recommend one.

MOSE ALLISON
Stackabones
Regular

Postby TheGreemSim » Mon May 16, 2011 8:43 pm

Hi I am 13 years old from New Zealand. For the past 3-4 years my music taste has only consisted of muscicains from Seattle who were prominant in the early 1990's now all dead of heroin overdoses etc. Recently I have been drawn to this genre having listened to the likes of Proffesor Long Hair and Sonny Boy Williamson II over the last 2 weeks or so. I was wondering where do I start with blues as it's such a wide and fascinating genre?

It's also the most fun to play on guitar, although my very death metal-esque S.O.B BC Rich guitar clearly doesn't suit it.
TheGreemSim
Regular

Postby Disciple » Tue May 17, 2011 12:38 pm

Look for a DVD called Deep Blues by Robert Palmer, check out the artists on that disc and internet search for their influences.

Subscribe to or at least check online for Blues Revue Magazine and also Living Blues. Both are excellent sources of new and old music and artists.

Learn everything you can about Muddy Waters, dig back thru his influences and forward thru everyone he influenced. That about covers the modern blues era in many ways.

Whenever you see a name offered by a blues artist or serious blues fan search that artist up, a great one to start with is Reverend Gary Davis. Google search him and follow the links to other artists who he influenced and then follow those artists to what they are doing and where they are going.

It's all connected and it'll will lead you thru itself if you let it, thats the coolest thing about the blues, it's like a giant music maze that if you follow will show you something about every kind of music of this modern era.

Your guitar will play the blues, just maybe drop the pick and get a slide or two and check out some open tunings. You'll soon see where the licks in metal were born.
Disciple
Regular

Postby k1w1 » Wed May 18, 2011 6:55 am

Where are you in NZ, I have a few books on all sorts of pre war blues, that will give you the influences of the later Chicago and british blues guys, and all sorts of later blues.
k1w1
Regular

Postby rcwilk » Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:28 pm

Currently I'm reading Palmer's Deep Blues, and I have found YOUTUBE the best source for playing the songs mentioned in the books, and often they have pictures. Sometimes the internetarchive.org is very helpful as well.

Open to other suggestions.

...not to slide too far off the topic, but while listening to these songs and reading about them, I have found Google's maps ajoy - they now allow street level travel (for main streets) in Clarksdale, Rosedale, Helena and many other MS Delta towns. Go to the crossroads while listening, and take it out on hwy 61 - as far you as want!

RC
rcwilk
Regular

Postby DonnyK » Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:06 pm

rcwilk wrote:Currently I'm reading Palmer's Deep Blues, and I have found YOUTUBE the best source for playing the songs mentioned in the books, and often they have pictures. Sometimes the internetarchive.org is very helpful as well.

Open to other suggestions.

...not to slide too far off the topic, but while listening to these songs and reading about them, I have found Google's maps ajoy - they now allow street level travel (for main streets) in Clarksdale, Rosedale, Helena and many other MS Delta towns. Go to the crossroads while listening, and take it out on hwy 61 - as far you as want!

RC

try this site: http://grooveshark.com/#/
DonnyK
Regular

Postby Kriss » Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:35 pm

Yes, "Wish I Was In Heaven Sitting Down" Was my introduction to R.L.Burnside and is still my favorite.
Kriss
Regular

Postby Orleans » Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:31 am

Just new on your site have always loved the blues and looking forward to learning more about them
Orleans
Regular

Postby Erike » Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:19 pm

There's many great players and great bands to search for. I'll just recommend everyone a band of blues music in Spanish! "Real de Catorce", check them out, its an interesting blues rock band! Also Mr. Michael Burks is worth listening to, he has a mean sustain!
Erike
Regular

Postby Acorns » Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:51 pm

Did anyone mention Popa Chubby ?
Acorns
Regular

Postby Garrett » Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:42 pm

Willie "Big Eyes" Smith and Pinetop Perkins won the Grammy for "Joined At the Hip" in the category of Best Traditional Blues Album. This is a excellent album by two of Great Blues Masters who sadly have passed away in the last year.

Pinetop Perkins
July 7, 1913 / March 21, 2011

Willie "Big Eyes" Smith
January 19, 1936 / September 16, 2011
Garrett
Regular

Postby DonnyK » Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:04 am

Two new acts I'm absolutely smitten with at the moment:

The Howlin' Wolf like J P Soars

His album can be heard here:

http://grooveshark.com/#!/search?q=j+p+soars

and also, a band that aren't out and out blues, but a mix of a lot of nice stuff:

The Martin Harley Band

and the album can be heard here:

http://grooveshark.com/#!/search?q=the+martin+harley+band
DonnyK
Regular

Postby MojoBlues » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:52 pm

Hi,
is the 1st time for me here...is really interesting!
Well, someone has listened new cd for Otis Taylor?
What do U think about?
Thanks!!
MojoBlues
Regular

PreviousNext

Return to Talking Blues