Richard Ray Farrell / Steve Guyger - new CD

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

Richard Ray Farrell / Steve Guyger - new CD

Postby richard ary » Tue Oct 10, 2006 2:12 pm

I just put out a new acoustic CD with Steve Guyger, " Down Home Old School Country Blues" . This is a CD of 16 old and somewhat obscure delta and ragtime blues covers. I recorded everything on my 1938 National Steel Guitar and Steve & I share the vocals. There are soundbytes on the CDBaby.com website. Richard Ray
richard ary
Regular

Postby allanlummox » Tue Oct 10, 2006 2:21 pm

Man - I used to see Steve Guyger play in Philly what, 20 year ago - he was great then.

I'm looking forward to checking this stuff out.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby richard ary » Wed Nov 22, 2006 3:36 pm

My new CD with Steve Guyger reached number 18 nationally on the Living Blues Radio Chart for the month of October 2006. Here is the top 25 from WHUS 91.7 at the University of Conn for the month of October. We're at number 1! Richard

Blues Top Twenty Five @ WHUS 91.7 Fm.

Artist / Album / Label

1 Richard Ray Farrell & Steve Guyger / down home old school country Blues / Blue Beet
2 Various Artist Drink House to Church House Music Maker
3 Cleveland Fats The Way Things Go HoneyBee Ent.
4 Various Artist BPCD-30th.Anniv. Coll. “Pearls from the Swine” BPCD
5 Dr. Tumatoe You’ve Got the Problem BPCD
6 The Robert Cray Band Live From Across the Pond Nozzle Records
7 Ike Turner Risin’ With the Blues ZoHo Music
8 Deanna Bogart Real Time BPCD
9 Jackie Payne/Steve Edmonson Band Master of the Game Deltagroove
10 The Mighty Blue Kings Alive in the City RJ-Records
11 Canned Heat Instrumentals 1967-1996 RUF-Records
12 Rory Gallagher Live At Montreaux Eagle Records
13 Frankie Lee Standing At The Crossroads Blues Express
14 Paul Mark Trick Fiction Radiation Records
15 Otis Rush In Concert live in SanFrancisco Blues Express
16 Magic Slim & the Teardrops That Ain’t Right Delmark Records
17 Rory Block The Lady & Mr. Johnson Rykodisc Records
18 The Cash Box Kings The Royal Treatment Blue Midnight Records
19 Magic Slim & the Teardrops That Ain’t Right Delmark Records
20 Fiona Boyes Lucky 13 YellowDog Records
21 Gary Primich Ridin’ The Dark Horse Electro-Fi Records
22 The Nighthawk’s Blue Moon in your Eye Powerhouse Records
23 The Stacks Edwards Band Live Land-O-Blues
24 The HellHounds Halfway between somewhere & nowhere Deltabilly Records
25 Ainsley Lister Everything I Need RUF-Records

The Above listed information was based on Approx. 20 Hours of Air-Play at
91.7 FM. Located on the Campus of , The University Of Connecticut.
1501 Storrs Rd. Storrs, Ct. 06269-3008-r ( Broadcasting to 3 States )
Attn:, / Blues Music Director:
Month Ending 10-31-06 For / Living Blues: rmcgrat3@rochester.rr.com

Station WEB Site / http://www.whus.org
Office Phone/ 860-486-4007 Fax# 860-486-8609 Studio Ph. 860-429-9487
Music Director / 860-486-8607.
e-mail/ Bert. / ramblinbert@hotmail.com
richard ary
Regular

Postby De Ferre » Wed Nov 22, 2006 8:39 pm

Congratulations for this new release, Richard!
I'll check it out.

The last one I bought from you, Acoustic Roots, ended up in the hands of a club owner in Hamme, Belgium. I guess he will contact you for an extra day when coming over here on tour.

See you soon,
Fernando
De Ferre
Regular

Richard Ray Farrell & Steve Guyger blues bytes review by

Postby richard ary » Wed Nov 29, 2006 2:58 pm

Richard Ray Farrell & Steve Guyger Down Home Old School Country Blues

It’s not always the case with modern albums, but here you get exactly what it says on the packet – just good old “Down Home Old School Country Blues”. It’s played by two musicians who really love their trade and have a wealth of blues experience between them.
Richard Ray Farrell & Steve Guyger, both now based in Philadelphia, are two guys who’s love of blues music just spills out and corrupts everyone around them – the enthusiasm just bubbles out of them.

I can’t think of a better way to showcase their enthusiasm and their skill than to put out an album like this.
It’s obviously the music that influenced them as they started on their careers and they treat it with the respect that it deserves.
There’s no double tracking, no synthetic music, no wahwah boxes, no distortion – just pure blues played the way it has always been played down through the years.

From Sonny Boy Williamson’s “Good Mornin’ Little Schoolgirl” through to Big Bill Broonzy’s “Diggin’ My Potatoes”, here isn’t a bad track on the whole CD (or even one that is less than perfect!).
From “Schoolgirl” onwards these two guys dip into Little Walter, Tampa Red, Robert Lockwood, Tommy Johnson, Big Joe Williams, and more – the choice of tracks is almost as good as the execution of them.
Listen to “Rollin & Tumblin”, “Sail On” and “Big Road Blues” and you be soaking up the flavour of what the blues is all about.

Both of the Sonny Boys are represented, the original and Rice Miller, and the sleeve notes carefully detail the composer of each song – to me, the track that truly represents what this album is all about is Robert Lee McCoy’s “Friar’s Point Blues” (track 5). Farrell’s picking and vocals are perfectly complimented by Guyger’s warm harmonica tones to produce a little piece of magic taking you back to the 1930s.

As you progress through the album you get to hear the different vocal styles of Steve Guyger & Richard Farrell with each taking a turn on vocals – Farrell is smooth and nasal, Guyger rough & gritty, and the contrast is perfect – I just hope that this isn’t the only collaboration between the two of them.
If you like country blues, traditional blues, old blues, any old blues - buy this CD and enjoy!!

Terry Clear – Blues Bytes
richard ary
Regular

Return to Guitar