Blues Broadcasts on the Internet

A discussion of the blues for blues lovers and fans.

Blues Broadcasts on the Internet

Postby rayelsey » Sat Sep 30, 2006 10:36 pm

Greetings, first post...

As a long time southern rock fan I was exposed to the likes of Albert Collins, Little Milton and Omar and the Howlers by tuning in MidnightBlues.com from iTunes radio link... Like a bullet to the brain the music seemed to have impact, the range of the blues is quite amazing.

My question is simple, short and sweet. Why in the hell does not the Blues have more exposure, the R.L.Burnsides, if only once heard, it would seem to me a clamor would exist to hear more... Why is it so hard to find a blues station or good blues mix when with rock or jazz there seems no end to choices. Frankly the "AM DJ" like commercials of places like Live365 make me sick, so I avoid their ten thousand clone hobby radio stations, but I guess i am just suprised there is not more good choices on the web. Share yours?
Thanks
Ray Elsey
rayelsey
Regular

Postby ricochet » Sat Sep 30, 2006 11:15 pm

Welcome, Ray!

I moved your post with its excellent question down to "Talking Blues."
ricochet
Regular

Blues Belt Radio

Postby BluesBelt » Mon Oct 02, 2006 4:43 am

My answer to the problem is to put together a podcast of great indie blues groups. It's bad enough that blues gets so little airplay, but the indie artist doesn't have a chance on the air. That's why I think podcasting is such a blessing to the blues.

I have been both a blues magazine publisher and a blues radio (traditional FM) creator and host for over 10 years.

I am presently developing a blues podcast for indie artists that I think will help contribute to keeping the blues genre alive...not that it's ever really going to die.

In the meantime, please check out my blues music blog at http://www.bluesbelt.blogspot.com and keep an eye out for an announcement of when the first show will air. If you have any indie mp3 recordings that you wold like for me to consider for the show, please email me at bluesbeltmagazine at yahoo dot com.
BluesBelt
Regular

Postby manny » Wed Oct 18, 2006 10:09 pm

thats a very good question and point rayelsay. I am one of those people you ignore as "Hobbyist Radio" i do a all blues show on http://www.nekkidradio.com every friday night (except when something comes up). And yes there are thousands of the radios around, and i believe some just dont take it seriously enough of what they have the potential for. I think of myself as wanting to give the blues exposure playing everything from Albert Collins to Omar and the howlers , alot of great stuff there to use. But i am trying to go in the direction of your suggestion. Getting into the R.L. Burnsides and the older greats of the blues. Doing Delta Blues to west coast to Chicago to acoustic to Blues rock. I do try to get the whole spectrum in. With a bit of history to the artists. I am still learning and till i die i will be still learning and enjoy doing it. But I am always open to suggetions as you have done. And i strive to do better. And we also arent on 365 lol but on winamp and windows media. Please feel free to tune in and come to mysite http://thetikibar.info and offer more suggestions
manny
Regular

Postby Jiminator » Thu Oct 19, 2006 9:58 pm

I've been wondering where to interject this bit of info about my latest blues listening habits, I guess this topic is as good as any! I can't get enough of listening to the blues on MySpace! I've amassed quite a few blues band friends and all have tunes there for listening to and many have tunes available for free download. I've heard some of the most amazing blues from people I never would have heard of otherwise. I've got an awesome playlist on my computer from all the downloads and they're all legal and they're all free! Sure there are some "clinkers" in there like bands playing tired versions of "Sweet Home Chicago". But at the same time there are tons of amazing talents out there waiting to be heard! (Evidently there is a thriving blues scene in Holland[The Netherlands]! Who would've guessed? New Jersey also seems to have it "going on" and California seems to also. I'm shocked to find that Chicago is a bit under-represented, tho.)
Just wanted to share with the class! I know it's not a pod cast, but it's definitely there and it's ripe for the picking! And it's free and it's fun!
Peace, Jim
Jiminator
Regular

Postby Boogieman » Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:36 pm

At work I listen to http://www.bellyup4blues.com all day.
Boogieman
Regular

Return to Talking Blues