Gold Tone/Beard resonator

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

Gold Tone/Beard resonator

Postby Rust » Sun Sep 24, 2006 7:46 pm

Gold Tone/Paul Beard resonator...

ever heard of these, are they any good?

Thx
Rust
Regular

Postby resoharp » Mon Sep 25, 2006 1:00 am

Yea, I have heard that these are very good Dobros for the budget minded. I believe they are set up at Paul's shop resophonic Outfitters.
resoharp
Regular

Postby bignick » Mon Sep 25, 2006 3:58 am

I own one.

Everything on the guitar is top notch. The cone is great. An unbeatable stock cone in my opinion. They come set up with ebony capped Beard saddles as well.

Mine arrived from Music 123 with really low action and lite strings. I would suggest ordering some saddle blanks if you are going to use it for slide. At least bump up the gauge to an 11 or 12.

Beard Mahogany Resos are laminate and the cones have a deep characterstic. A very mid-rangey, fat tone with a lot of sustain. Deeper and darker tonal range than the chimey high-end Quarterman equipped resos.

I love mine.
bignick
Regular

Postby Hooked on Resophonics » Mon Sep 25, 2006 2:59 pm

I have a Paul Beard GRS (steel body) and it is a great instrument...I had to replace the original Beard cone & saddle to a National due to it collapsing in shipping...breaking in very nicely too. The necks are very nice & wide, MUCH better quality than some other imports. I'm looking into getting one of the Maple spider bridges as well. :D
Hooked on Resophonics
Regular

Postby Rust » Tue Sep 26, 2006 1:34 am

Thanks!
Rust
Regular

Postby rustyslide » Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:18 pm

Played one on Monday, thought it was very nice. Then I played a couple of Nationals, and they were *really* nice. But the Nationals were three times as much.
rustyslide
Site Admin

Postby ricochet » Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:27 pm

Were they three times as nice?
ricochet
Regular

Postby rustyslide » Thu Sep 28, 2006 12:22 am

Nationals were probably only 2.3x nicer: diminishing returns, you must understand.

(They were also at two different stores, and I wasn't looking to buy)
rustyslide
Site Admin

Postby Hooked on Resophonics » Thu Sep 28, 2006 7:37 pm

I called Reso Outfitters where the Beard staff works. I wanted to know if the neck joints were bolted mortise tenon, or the usual Asian dowel rod-butt joint. The CS guy said the plans were sent as a bolt-on, BUT, the guitars were built with the dowel joint. They are working on getting them bolt on in the future, so I would wait to get the wood body spider type till then. The metal bodies ARE built correctly, however, with a neck stick, posts & screwed down fret board extension like the Nationals. :D
Hooked on Resophonics
Regular

Postby duendecito » Fri Sep 29, 2006 3:33 pm

I bought a Gold Tone Paul Beard Signature 4 weeks ago. It's a cutaway de luxe version and all solid sapele mahogany rather than laminate. The set-up was rankly a bit casual - neck relief to the point of up-bow and consequent chatter on top frets - but after a set-up by Dave King (English luthier - see his website) the instrument is simply superb. Can't recommend it too highly.
On the point of wood, some top-end resonators use laminates - including birch, which has no uses at all as far as most luthiers are concerned - rather than solid wood. Since the sound of the cone is what you're after, the body acts more like a speaker cabinet than on a conventional guitar. I like to use ordinary phosphor bronze roundwounds with a .54 on the bottom, .24 wound G and I replace the top E with a .15 or.16. This way I can take it up to EADGBE and not wreck the neck. And Jim Dunlop Moonshine ceramic slides. Hope this helps.
duendecito

Postby captainswing » Sat Sep 30, 2006 3:02 pm

CaptainSwing writes - Should you wish to reply to duendecito, he just got himself reincarnated as captainswing due to a log-in problem. Thanks!
captainswing
Regular

Postby ricochet » Sat Sep 30, 2006 4:24 pm

Ah! Better handle this time around. :D
ricochet
Regular

Return to Guitar