Hello all

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

Hello all

Postby lowery7 » Fri Sep 08, 2006 12:06 am

I'm new to slide guitar but really want to learn. Can anyone point me to some sites that will help? I have been playing for about 3 years and now I have really got into slide blues on acoustic. I have a Martin 00015 and a cheap slide. I'm thinking of buying a new slide any comments on what kind to get would help. Thanks for any help anyone can give. This is my first post so Hello to everyone and hope to get to know everyone.
Thanks for your time
Jeremy
lowery7
Regular

Postby guitarslim101 » Fri Sep 08, 2006 12:15 am

Welcome to the Big Road. This site is as good as any for learning slide tricks.
guitarslim101
Regular

Postby zhyla » Fri Sep 08, 2006 2:27 am

Regarding slides here's what I've gone thru so far:

1. Thin pyrex slide (Dunlop I think). Useless.
2. Thin brass slide (Dunlop again, I think). Usable but not real loud. Sharp corner makes it impossible to use the tip to slide on single strings.
3. Thick brass slide (Big Heart Bronze Bomber). Good, amazing tone, but sharp corner problem still.
4. Chrome Dome chrome/brass slide (Latch Lake I think). Big round end is ok but the slide is kind of concave. Maybe it's meant for something with a radiused fretboard.
5. Bronze Bomber modified to have round corners and smoother finish. Better. Thought this was "it" until...
6. Thick blue glass slide made from wine bottle this week. Good tone, rounded corner works great. Needs a little polishing and something stuffed in it to make it fit tighter. Easier to move around than the bomber becauses of the smoothness of the surface.

5 and 6 are pretty much tied right now.

If there's a moral to that list it's to try everything you can. But stay out of Guitar Center, you wouldn't believe the strange, gigantic things they sell for slides.
zhyla
Site Admin

Postby grady » Fri Sep 08, 2006 3:56 am

7. Dunlop "Preachin' Pipe" Eric Sardinas Signature model Slide
The best Slide I've tried.
It's Concave sides fit the radius of your guitar perfectly.
It just "feels" right.

8. Dunlop 222 Brass Slide
The one I used on my Martin 00-15 for Slide and it sounded great !!!

9. Diamond "Red House"
Great Slide,,,make sure you get one that doesn't have seams.

Pyrex ???
Love it on Electric guitars but, not Acoustic.
grady
Regular

Postby mickeypainless » Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:12 am

I didn't know the ES P Pipe was con caved! Hmmmmmmmm..... might need to git me one! I have a tapered brass slide but ya still gotta tip and tilt so the Pipe sounds shhhhweet!
Ditto on the Pyrex!
I was huntin around my horribly disorganised shop fer something and came across a 5 inch long chunk o brass solid round stock that may become a slide bar fer playin lap. Gonna get a buddy of mine to turn it on a lathe to take in down a smidge to achieve a smooth surface! Sucka weighs about 10 oz. LOL
mickeypainless
Contributor
Contributor

Postby diamond » Fri Sep 08, 2006 9:40 am

There certainly are some wierd & wonderful 'slides' available at the moment....if you can describe 'em as slides :shock: My fave's at the moment are a couple of Doc Sigmier's 'Rocky Mountain Slides' - SO much different to the Mudslide and other ceramic offerings, and our own Matéus Rosé 'Mike Dowling Signature' slide - never thought i'd leave my trusty old Olive Oil bottleneck in the drawer, but this beauty really sings!

Enjoy the hunt :wink:

Happy Slidin'

Big D.

http://www.diamondbottlenecks.com
diamond
Regular

re: slides

Postby slickcat » Fri Sep 08, 2006 11:35 am

My fave for a long time was the Medium "Rockslide" polished brass tapered inner core fits nice. Recently I purchased a "50-50" Blue Glass slide with a metal inner core from Diamond Bottlenecks..... its my number one slide. Nice weight and very slick. The tone is to die for. 8)
slickcat
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Rythameen » Fri Sep 08, 2006 3:50 pm

grady wrote:7. Dunlop "Preachin' Pipe" Eric Sardinas Signature model Slide
The best Slide I've tried.
It's Concave sides fit the radius of your guitar perfectly.
It just "feels" right.

8. Dunlop 222 Brass Slide
The one I used on my Martin 00-15 for Slide and it sounded great !!!

9. Diamond "Red House"
Great Slide,,,make sure you get one that doesn't have seams.

Pyrex ???
Love it on Electric guitars but, not Acoustic.

I love the Preachin Pipe too, great balance of weight and shape, I also like the Big Heart Robert Johnson model, not quite as heavy as the Bomber, I also love my Craftsman socket, I just kept trying them on until I found one that fit, you ought to see the looks you get from a salesperson when you go looking at sockets to try on your fingers. I also have a wine bottle neck I made years ago that still sounds sweet. All the slides have their own personality that I use for different songs and moods.
Rythameen
Regular

Postby maxx england » Mon Sep 11, 2006 1:19 pm

I don't buy slides (Diamond is probably sticking pins in a model of me for saying this), I pick things up and try them. If it's a tone and weight that you like, try motorcycle handlebar tube. Cut to length, file off the rough bits, and you can get the tube for almost free from motorcycle repair shops when they replace twisted handlebars.
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Return to Guitar