5 Tips to get the blues sound fast

Tickle the ivories? Here's the place to talk about it.

5 Tips to get the blues sound fast

Postby outstretchedarm » Thu Aug 03, 2006 5:27 pm

Can somebody (or more than one person) suggest tips/techniques for getting a blues sound....I've been trying to learn blues piano but I need some help from some pro's

the more specific the better

tanks!
outstretchedarm
Regular

Postby ricochet » Fri Aug 04, 2006 4:18 am

Good blues piano lessons online here: http://www.playpianotoday.com/blues/index5.swf
ricochet
Regular

Postby outstretchedarm » Fri Aug 04, 2006 6:43 pm

thanks for the tip
outstretchedarm
Regular

Postby jeffl » Fri Aug 04, 2006 6:54 pm

Hey arm...the part of your original post that threw me was "fast". I've been screwing around on keyboards for about 40 years,as my 2nd instrument, and I'm still workin' on gettin' those blues licks down. I'm only partly fluent in 2 keys,and know some licks in about 5 keys,and can play scales in 12 keys,but it's been a long haul. I've been workin' through a book that one of the guys who used to post here recommended: "Blues Piano" by Mark Harrison (Hal Leonard Publishing). The notation is highly accurate,which is not always true of Hal Leonard stuff,and it really takes ya' through a bunch of different styles,including the various left hand rhythms and lines. It's fulla different scales as well. But,it ain't fast,in my experience. We don't have a good jazz/blues instructor left in my town,with a performing background, or I'd be tempted to take on a coach.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby outstretchedarm » Tue Aug 08, 2006 6:39 pm

i here ya. sometimes, though, somebody can just drop a trick on you thats like, so simpleand taes your playing to another level.

those are good.
outstretchedarm
Regular

Postby jeffl » Tue Aug 08, 2006 7:22 pm

outstretchedarm wrote:i here ya. sometimes, though, somebody can just drop a trick on you thats like, so simpleand taes your playing to another level.

those are good.
That's a good point.... that's another reason why it's helpful when you can watch guys do stuff. One of the issues I have is that there's different things you can do depending on whether you're playing alone,or playing with a band. I've never gigged on piano alone (except for solo ballads that I've written) ,but I work on tunes alone at home alot. There are things you can do with two hands on the upper registers when you're playing with a band that you can't do when you're playing alone and trying to supply the bottom with you're left hand. Chord voicings are critical too, and different voicings are important to know when you're moving thru different phrases of the music. Some chord voices put your hands in positions that are difficult to transition out of,especially if you're moving to a riff that requires a crossover during the riff. You may have to start the next riff with the wrong fingers if you don't take the preceding chord voicing into consideration.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby outstretchedarm » Mon Aug 21, 2006 1:55 pm

outstretchedarm wrote:thanks for the tip

wow thanks. these were some good lessons. I ate'em up (all the free ones that is).

can someone point me to some more lessons like these?
outstretchedarm
Regular

Postby BadBoyJones » Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:56 pm

http://www.pgmusic.com/riffaday_eb.php?riff=3

this is one good site if you know how to read the notes. I dont :roll:
BadBoyJones
Regular

Re:

Postby Gtrist » Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:28 am

ricochet wrote:Good blues piano lessons online here: http://www.playpianotoday.com/blues/index5.swf

Sorry, if I shouldn't be bringing back an old thread like this, but it is still high up on the list on the piano page.
I've always enjoyed listening to blues piano, and now that I've inherited one--nothing special, but a piano just the same, I want to try playing it myself. I did take some lessons as a kid, and have dabbled with keyboard instruments over the years. I remember the theory, but will need to work on the technique a bit.

The piano has had time to get acclimated to my place, and the next step is the tuner, then I'll be checking out my old piano books, some piano books from the library, and that link--which is still active, and then I'll see if I need to buy anything or not.

Thanks for the link.

I just hope my guitars forgive me for seeing another instrument. :wink:
Gtrist
Regular

Re: 5 Tips to get the blues sound fast

Postby ricochet » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:05 pm

Nothing wrong with playing multiple instruments. You gain a lot from the cross-fertilization IMO. I think it's better to define yourself as a musician than as a player of a particular instrument.
ricochet
Regular

Re: 5 Tips to get the blues sound fast

Postby Gtrist » Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:56 am

That's why I gave piano a try as a kid.

Guitar was more my thing, but I've tried to expand.

I can butcher a mean harmonica too. :wink:

If I had the time I'd be playing guitar & bass better, plus lap steel, square neck dobro, dulcimer, samisen, mandolin, piano, harmonica, and a variety of guitar like instruments.
Gtrist
Regular

Return to Piano, Organ, & Keyboard