Fullerton Winslow Reso?

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

Fullerton Winslow Reso?

Postby buckwade » Thu Aug 03, 2006 4:39 pm

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum and to slide guitar but I've already found a ton of useful info. I was wondering if anybody knows anything about these Fullerton Winslow resonators that music123.com is selling. I've searched the web and I can't find any info on them. They are selling for $199 and I've been wanting an old style triolion to go with my Regal metal body so that I can have two different tunings to play on without having to retune all of the time. They are cool looking guitars, I just wonder if they are as good as Regals or Johnsons. Thanks in advance for any info you guys have!
buckwade
Regular

Postby zhyla » Fri Aug 04, 2006 2:08 am

Wow, they couldn't put less information for that guitar if they tried.
zhyla
Site Admin

Postby buckwade » Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:01 pm

Here's what amazon.com had listed for it:

"The Fullerton Winslow biscuit style resonator guitar has all the tone and style you'd want from a resonator blues machine. The biscuit resonator has a loud crisp tone perfect for blues or slide guitar. The slotted headstock, 12 fret to the body neck and extrawide nut width gives the Winslow a vintage feel not found on most budget resonators. "

This is the only info I've found so far on it.
buckwade
Regular

Postby wwpete52 » Fri Mar 16, 2007 5:34 pm

Music123 is selling these for $99.99 with free shipping now. They look just like the Regal RD-3 triolian.
wwpete52
Regular

Postby ricochet » Fri Mar 16, 2007 5:53 pm

Might be a fun starter or backup reso.
ricochet
Regular

Postby oleman » Fri Mar 16, 2007 7:42 pm

I have a feeling the Fullerton's are made by the Same Chinese factory that makes most of the Asian stuff; just a different decal on the headstock. I have the Rogue flavor triolian, that looks like the same guitar. $99 on sale is almost to hard to pass up. One in G and one in D.
oleman
Regular

Postby russ » Fri Mar 16, 2007 8:31 pm

I just bought one of those for the simple reason that it has a nut width of 1 7/8" (plus the fact that it's only $99.00) I have the Rogue Triolian which is fine, but the narrow neck width at the nut is a bummer.

The verdict on the Fullerton? It's an OK guitar, the body is basically a 00 size & is generally smaller than most wood bodied reso's & it's fit & finish are not horrible but not on par with the Rogue. It's sound is bright & loud & have found no reason to dislike it yet :wink:

It has kind of a funky, cheap Harmony/Kay/Stella vibe to it & that's fine by me. What would I change? Right now I'd like to change the bridge & make the string spacing a bit wider because even with the wider nut, someone thought it would be wise to make the bridge spacing 2 1/16" :roll: The biscuit is the ebony capped maple version that we see on many of these Chinese reso's.

For $99 I'm happy!
russ
Regular

Postby RESOrocket » Sat Mar 17, 2007 2:13 am

other than the usual fit and finish flaws that ive found on the budget reso's is that the tail pieces are verry cheap and flexiable. the one on my latest one was so bad that it actualy bent all the way down to the coverplate and was getting a bad buzz and rattle.....maybe just mine but i thought id thow it out there.....
RESOrocket
Regular

Return to Guitar