Just registered

Required: Just registered? Give us a short introduction. You won't be able to post anywhere else until you have an approved post here.

Everything else -- questions, comments, observations -- should find a home in the other forums.

Just registered

Postby JCook » Tue Jul 25, 2006 2:34 pm

Hi all,

I've just registered here, this forum recommended by a friend. It looks good to me. The other guitar forums I read regularly are the Woodshed, and the IGS Guitar forum. I've been playing guitar for about 42 years, fingerpicking blues, celtic, and other stuff. My main guitar is a '64 Gibson Everly Bros. blonde model. I also play a Liberty LO100 single cone, and a Washburn 12. Love to play the guitar!

Now, on to the main forums!

Jack
JCook
Regular

Postby mickeypainless » Tue Jul 25, 2006 2:47 pm

Welcome to da Road man!
mickeypainless
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jeffl » Tue Jul 25, 2006 2:54 pm

Welcome to the Road,Jack! I'm a part-time (very) giggin' harper from So. Minnesota. Good to have you here.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby warren » Tue Jul 25, 2006 3:55 pm

welcome jack...i think you will like it here...

ww
warren
Regular

Postby JCook » Tue Jul 25, 2006 5:07 pm

Thanks, guys. I've just been taking a look at the index - there's a lot of forums here! I can see I'll be getting less work done now (I usually read them while at work - ssshh, don't tell anyone).
It'll be fun getting to know the forum and it's denizens, some of whom I think are familiar.

Jack
JCook
Regular

Postby bosco » Tue Jul 25, 2006 5:39 pm

Welcome to the BigRoad, JC.

Bosco

8)
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:48 pm

Welcome!
ricochet
Regular

Postby diamond » Tue Aug 01, 2006 8:48 pm

Hi Jack! I'm so glad you took the plunge and registered :D This is a fine place for all things slide & these guy's really know their stuff :wink: It was a real pleasure meeting up with you last week & thanks indeed for your hospitality and company (....and the chance to pick away on your beautiful Gibson!....)

Last few days of our vacation (currently in North Conway, N.H. - in 94 degrees of heat :shock: ) and then flying back to the U.K. this coming Friday. We've had a wonderful time on our New England vacation and folks here have been incredibly nice......i've even stopped getting into our rental car on the 'wrong' side :roll:

Next stop - England!

Happy Slidin'

Big D.

http://www.diamondbottlenecks.com :wink:
diamond
Regular

Postby JCook » Wed Aug 02, 2006 8:51 pm

Hi there, Ian!

Yeah, it was on your recommendation that I checked out this forum. It's got quite a lot of depth to it!

Meeting and playing with you last week was a wonderful interlude in an otherwise fairly crappy day. I wish we might have had more time. I enjoyed it immensely.

Glad you've been enjoying New England. North Conway is in the midst of a very beautiful state - hope you got to see more of the mountains. Here today it was supposed to be between 97 and 99 degrees, but it only made it to 88. Ocean breezes, no doubt.

Have a good trip back to England. Now you have to get used to driving all over again.

Jack
JCook
Regular

Postby Bant's Bluz » Fri Aug 04, 2006 8:35 pm

Welcome Jack! If you don't mind, how do you like you Liberty L0100? I've got one of Bill's spider resos and I like it a lot, but have been thinking about the L0100. You opinion is most appreciated!
Bant's Bluz
Regular

Postby JCook » Wed Aug 09, 2006 3:04 pm

Hi Doc,

Sorry for not responding sooner; I've been busy!

I've had the Liberty for 3 years or so now, and I do like it. I've played Nationals, and this is not one, but it's pretty good, I think. I've also played Johnsons, Regals, and Deans in the music stores, and I think this Liberty has them beat. Bill put a Quarterman cone in it, and that may make quite a difference. I think the tone is good, but there is not that much sustain. But then it IS a single cone guitar, and they're known for that, but I would like a little more sustain. Also, Bill gives an option to have better tuners put on when you buy, and I wish I had done this. The tuners that are on it are AXL tuners, which I've never heard of, but I think they are cheap Chinese copies of Grover or Gotoh. I'm planning to put better ones on it myself, but I just havent' gotten around to it, yet. The problem is that the AXL tuners are not very responsive, so it makes tuning more difficult (and who needs that?).

The guitar has a thick "baseball bat" neck, fingers very well, and stays in tune pretty well. The pickup he puts in isn't very good, though, very tinny sounding; I almost never use it.

I've noticed a little bit of pitting in the chrome finish, and I don't know what that means for the quality. It's not bad, though.

Last year I made a modification I had read about online, where I took out the cone and put a thin ring of material in the soundwell where the cone sits. I think the tone and sustain are improved because of this, but it's a subtle and subjective effect. I do think the bass tone is better. Might be my imagination, though. I use Medium bronze strings (John Pearce or Martin, usually), and I like the sound.

As I said, it's not a National, but I think it's the best of the cheaper resos out there, as far as I can tell. I paid $600 for it, and it came very well packed in a nice hard case, 2-day express mail.

If you buy one, I think you'll be happy with it, especially if you spring for the better tuners. Which model of spider do you have, and how do you like it? Some of his wooden models look quite interesting.

Jack
JCook
Regular

Postby Bant's Bluz » Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:12 am

Hi Jack! Thanks for the response. I've got Bill's Copperhead model. For my puposes it's great (I'm just a hobby player)! What I most appreciated with Bill was his genuine concern for the customer and his willingness to answer my endless dumb questions, as this was my first reso. I've been away from the guitar for about 40 years and decided to pick it back up in my retirement years. You're right, his instruments aren't Nationals, but I'll do business with him again, before chancing on a Johnson or other brand.
Bant's Bluz
Regular

Postby JCook » Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:52 pm

The Copperhead is one of the best looking instruments on his website. I've thought that if I bought another one from him that would be it. How do you like it? Is the sound good? Is the metal top actually attached to a wooden top, or is it the complete top? Questions, questions, questions! I do have a friend who bought one of his wooden resos, based on playing my LO100. I don't know what model, but it has a wooden top, and a very nice, sweet sound. I tried it out after he got it, and I liked it.

Jack
JCook
Regular

Return to A Bit About You