other brands

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

other brands

Postby Joe Henry » Fri Jul 14, 2006 3:24 pm

what other companys make tricones besides johnson, regal, and national? I couldnt find anything on google.
Joe Henry
Regular

Postby louisianagrey » Fri Jul 14, 2006 3:50 pm

louisianagrey
Regular

Postby louisianagrey » Fri Jul 14, 2006 3:56 pm

Oh, and Beeton and Amistar ...

I didn't count all the Johnson guitars sold under other brand names like AXL and Vintage etc. I don't know what you searched on Google but "Tricone Guitars" has just brought up Beeton and Donmo on the first page immediately after Johnson and National. There's 578 hits, try a few other pages.
louisianagrey
Regular

Postby ricochet » Fri Jul 14, 2006 7:08 pm

And AXL sells the high-end nickel silver tricone formerly sold under the Continental brand name. I'd like to have one of those.

Don't get so caught up in the National Resophonic idolatry as to start thinking that National Resophonics are "the real thing" and all other resonators are "copies." They're ALL copies. (Except the antiques.) National Resophonic has no connection with the old National Instrument Company. The two founders of NR left Dobro and started making high quality clones of old Nationals, with some modern modifications. They're repro builders, just like Beltona, Fine, Johnson... The Regal brand on current guitars has no real connection to the old Regal company, either.

And never forget that Bob Brozman is a National Resophonic salesman.
ricochet
Regular

Postby grady » Fri Jul 14, 2006 7:15 pm

Now, that's telling it like it is Ric !!

He's exactly right.
grady
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:37 pm

Anyone know the prices on those Ozark resos?
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby ricochet » Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:54 pm

Google these words: Ozark resonator guitar

Turns up a number of folks selling them.
ricochet
Regular

Postby Joe Henry » Fri Jul 14, 2006 10:24 pm

ricochet wrote:And AXL sells the high-end nickel silver tricone formerly sold under the Continental brand name. I'd like to have one of those.

Don't get so caught up in the National Resophonic idolatry as to start thinking that National Resophonics are "the real thing" and all other resonators are "copies." They're ALL copies. (Except the antiques.) National Resophonic has no connection with the old National Instrument Company. The two founders of NR left Dobro and started making high quality clones of old Nationals, with some modern modifications. They're repro builders, just like Beltona, Fine, Johnson... The Regal brand on current guitars has no real connection to the old Regal company, either.

And never forget that Bob Brozman is a National Resophonic salesman.

Haha well I wasnt really looking for a national in particular, i was jsut trying to see if there was a brand that made a decent tricone with a slotted headstock for under $700.
Joe Henry
Regular

Postby ricochet » Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:14 pm

Joe Henry wrote:i was jsut trying to see if there was a brand that made a decent tricone with a slotted headstock for under $700.
I'm not familiar with one in that range with a slotted headstock, but it doesn't look that hard to make a slotted headstock like Tricone John did. I don't want a slotted headstock for practical reasons, but they do look cool.
ricochet
Regular

Postby Joe Henry » Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:16 pm

ricochet wrote:
Joe Henry wrote:i was jsut trying to see if there was a brand that made a decent tricone with a slotted headstock for under $700.
I'm not familiar with one in that range with a slotted headstock, but it doesn't look that hard to make a slotted headstock like Tricone John did. I don't want a slotted headstock for practical reasons, but they do look cool.

wow i didnt even think about doing it myself..you got a link to any pics or anything?
Joe Henry
Regular

Postby ricochet » Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:18 pm

He posted it all on this board a couple of years ago. Should still be in there somewhere. Bet he's got it on his website, and it should be easier to find. Google up "Tricone John."
ricochet
Regular

Postby Joe Henry » Sat Jul 15, 2006 3:19 am

i looked, couldnt find anything :?
Joe Henry
Regular

Postby ricochet » Sat Jul 15, 2006 4:17 am

Me neither, including on other boards he's posted on. He doesn't leave an E-mail link, and a PM will likely only be seen when he comes on the board, which he hasn't in a while. If anyone knows his E-mail, ask him to drop in.
ricochet
Regular

Postby eldergreene » Sat Jul 15, 2006 7:31 am

My tricone's an old ('30) one, & the one thing I'd change about it is that damn slotted headstock! I agree that they look nicer, but after many string changes, the sheer hassle of the slothead really irks me - maybe a reversal of Bottleneck John's bit of surgery would work? Hmmm...
eldergreene
Regular

Postby louisianagrey » Sat Jul 15, 2006 9:28 am

His website is http://www.johaneliasson.com/ - I haven't been through all his photos to see if he's got one of the slothead modification.

Lefty, if you're looking at the wooden bodied Ozark tricones then budget to put some decent cones in. They look fantastic but sound terrible, although someone who swapped the cones told me that with better cones they sound pretty good.
louisianagrey
Regular

Next

Return to Guitar