mushroom?

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

mushroom?

Postby Joe Henry » Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:25 pm

sorry if this is really obvious..i searched google and the forums here but found nothing

whats this mushroom mod ive been hearing about? whats it supposed to do?
Joe Henry
Regular

Postby ricochet » Thu Jul 13, 2006 10:26 pm

Simple. Johnson Tricones have three "mushroom" supports between the neck stick and back. Remove the middle one, break the one on the neck end llose and move it as far as it'll go toward the neck, jammed tightly in place. Opens up more of the back to resonate, boosting the volume, the bass, and giving it more of the clangy sort of tone that single cone biscuits are known for.
ricochet
Regular

Postby jamesfarrell » Thu Jul 13, 2006 10:55 pm

:shock:
Last edited by jamesfarrell on Fri Jul 14, 2006 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jamesfarrell
Regular

Postby ricochet » Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:12 pm

It has four screws that go through the fretboard and metal top of the guitar into the neck stick. They're covered with mother-of-pearl dots. The mushrooms are spreaders, they don't anchor anything down. They stiffen the back and produce nodes in the vibrational pattern of the back plate.
ricochet
Regular

Postby jamesfarrell » Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:33 pm

damn, all that attaches the neck to the body is the fretboard? :shock:
jamesfarrell
Regular

Postby grady » Fri Jul 14, 2006 12:35 am

Actually, the neck extends all the way to the butt of the Guitar.
The 4 screws go thru the Fretboard and thru the body of the Guitar.
The Rear Strap Button Screw goes thru the Body of the Guitar and into the end of the Neck stick.
The Mushrooms provide extra stability between the Neck stick and the back of the guitar to help prevent "bowing".

Removing the Middle Mushroom frees the Back of the Guitar up so it can vibrate.
This also adds more Bass to the Tone and more sustain.
grady
Regular

Postby jamesfarrell » Fri Jul 14, 2006 12:38 am

grady wrote:Actually, the neck extends all the way to the butt of the Guitar.
The 4 screws go thru the Fretboard and thru the body of the Guitar.
The Rear Strap Button Screw goes thru the Body of the Guitar and into the end of the Neck stick.
The Mushrooms provide extra stability between the Neck stick and the back of the guitar to help prevent "bowing".

Removing the Middle Mushroom frees the Back of the Guitar up so it can vibrate.
This also adds more Bass to the Tone and more sustain.

Well if you remove the middle mushroom, doesn't that decrease the stability of the neck?
jamesfarrell
Regular

Postby grady » Fri Jul 14, 2006 12:46 am

No, not really.

You see, this whole "Mushroom Mod" business started with Don Young of National Resophonic guitars filling me in on the details of how a National Tri-Cone is put together.
I converted my Johnson Tri-Cone to the NR Specs that Don gave me over the phone and named it the "Mushroom Mod".

I posted the info that Don gave me here on the BRB Forum and thus, a "monster" was born.

Since then, I've received a Thousand Emails asking for details about this Mod.
It's all over the Internet on every Guitar Forum in existence.
grady
Regular

Postby Joe Henry » Fri Jul 14, 2006 4:09 am

oh ok thanks for the answers..

anyone have pictures of the actual mushrooms? can you do this to a regal tricone?
Joe Henry
Regular

Postby rustyslide » Fri Jul 14, 2006 4:36 am

rustyslide
Site Admin

Postby bluzeluvr » Fri Jul 14, 2006 12:49 pm

Joe Henry wrote:...anyone have pictures of the actual mushrooms? can you do this to a regal tricone?

Take this link. There is a picture of a tricone about 2/3 of the way down the page, and a "resorocket" a bit below that. In both cases, you can see the forward disc that contacts the body, and provides the base to the dowel that fits bewteen that disc and the neck stick -- i.e. the "mushroom". In the picture of the Resorocket, you can also see the lower one near the bottom end.

http://www.vintagenationals.com/Nationa ... 20temp.htm

Also note the positioning of the forward mushroom. It matches the position used by Johnson. But there is no middle mushroom. So if you want to match the NR set-up, just remove the middle one, and leave the others as is. That's what I did, and I like the result. Others like Ricochet, have testified that moving the forward one closer to the neck will increase bass response and give it a twangier, edgier, somewhat louder sound ala a single cone reso.

So after removing the middle one, if you find you want to get even closer to that sound, you can always move it up. I found that the middle removal only was right for me. It imparted some of the characteristics mentioned, and increased sustain, while still retaining enough of the original sweetness. Just added a bit of rawness, edginess to it that made it more "bluesy" or nasty. Whereas without the mod, it was squarely in the much sweeter, Hawaiian slide zone that the tricone was originally designed to provide.
bluzeluvr
Regular

Postby Joe Henry » Fri Jul 14, 2006 1:11 pm

thanks for the help, got it now.
Joe Henry
Regular

Postby jamesfarrell » Fri Jul 14, 2006 3:17 pm

Is the mushroom made out of rubber? Like a plunger
jamesfarrell
Regular

Postby bluzeluvr » Fri Jul 14, 2006 5:51 pm

jamesfarrell wrote:Is the mushroom made out of rubber? Like a plunger

It's just a wooden dowel attached to a flat wooden disk. It provides support and tension between the neck stick and body, and helps transfer vibration to the back of the body. If it was made out of soft, non-resonant material like rubber, it would do a miserable job at all those things.
bluzeluvr
Regular

Postby grady » Fri Jul 14, 2006 7:31 pm

Excuse me for a moment while I point out the obvious,

The Mushroom in that Reso-Rocket with the Cut-away is freakin' HUGE !!
way bigger than the ones that are in Johnson Tri-Cones and it's positioning has a lot to do with the fact that the guitar it's in has a Cut-away.
There isn't much room for that particular Mushroom to go any further toward the front of that guitar.
grady
Regular

Next

Return to Guitar