Hillbilly blues in West Virginia

Required: Just registered? Give us a short introduction. You won't be able to post anywhere else until you have an approved post here.

Everything else -- questions, comments, observations -- should find a home in the other forums.

Hillbilly blues in West Virginia

Postby w8rok » Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:46 pm

Hey,
The name here is Rok. I reside in a little town called Marmet, about 15 miles south of Charleston. 47 yrs young. Love all forms of blues music,,, electric, acoustic, guitar, harp, piano, organ, washboard or anything else you can make music with. I grew up listening and eventually playing music on the porches of my kin folk, mostly old old country and a little bluegrass. Thank goodness I had older cousins that listened to and played rock & roll and blues. This looks like a great place to get the blues...
Hope to be able to contribute,
Rok Hoblitzell

PS... forgot to mention a couple of my fovorite toys are 1979 tele and
a 1966 Fender Princeton Reverb.
w8rok
Regular

Postby ricochet » Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:48 pm

Welcome, Rok!
ricochet
Regular

Postby 1four5 » Thu Jul 13, 2006 12:49 am

washboard blues? 8)

Hi Rok!!! Your in the right place...warning, stear clear of the slide forum lest they cast the worst case of GAS on you you've ever had :twisted: :shock: :D
1four5
Regular

Postby bosco » Thu Jul 13, 2006 5:49 pm

Hi Rok-

I'm already drooling over that '66 Princeton Reverb which happens to be one of the best harp amps ever created. Trouble is, they're great guitar amps as well and highly sought after by recording engineers and collectors so they don't exactly grow on trees! :cry:

Welcome to the BigRoad.

Bosco
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby w8rok » Thu Jul 13, 2006 7:54 pm

Thanks for the warm welcome,
Nothin' like a washboard in the mix 1four5, especially tuned in open D...
ha ha. No, really it was just something the oldtimers scratched on to keep a little time and throw something different in there.
The 66 PR is truly sweet bosco. It spent its first yrs as a Pedal Steel Guitar amp in a church in Clevland, Ohio,,, then a friend of mine inherited it after his uncle passed (the PSG player). My friend kept it in his closet since 1980, not using it. It is all original except for a few tubes.
Truly a blessing for a find.

Thanks again for saying hi and I hope to join in on some of the discussions...
Rok
w8rok
Regular

Postby jeffl » Thu Jul 13, 2006 8:37 pm

Hey Rok,welcome to the Road! I grew up in Madison,Wis., but my first memory of porch music was goin' up the mountain in Altoona,Pa.,to listen to a Sunday nite mountain music jam at my mom's uncle's place in the woods. There were two houses out there,plus her great uncle's little two room shack,with no electricity or water--but a buncha cats. I remember a horseshoe pit, and one guy playin' a tissue and comb,and a tub bass. I'd love to have been old enough to play back then. Yeah,that old Fender amp sounds good...I'd love to play my harp through it,if ya' don't mind me switchin' out jus' one little tube,lol.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby w8rok » Sat Jul 15, 2006 3:24 am

Hey Jeffl,
I think about all the good times I had when I was a kid and sometimes I wish I could go back and relive those times. About all of the oldtimers that played and sang are dead and gone. That was truly family entertainment back then. It was kind of comical, when they got their instruments out and started playing, it was usually hymns and gospel type tunes to begin with... then after some homebrew and a little moonshine thats when the real pickin' and grinin' started. Childhood memories....
Jeffl you can hook up to the 66' PR anytime your here in WV,,, stop by your welcome here anytime.

Rok
w8rok
Regular

Postby slickcat » Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:55 pm

Welcome Rok...a Tele and a Princeton, cant go wrong with that setup!
I have family east of you in Lexington VA, but Im a southern NJ boy.
slickcat
Contributor
Contributor

Postby w8rok » Tue Jul 18, 2006 2:31 am

Thanks for the welcome slickcat,,,
Listened to a bunch of your sound files a few days ago!! Great job!! You got that Reso sounding right.
Rok
w8rok
Regular

Return to A Bit About You