pedal

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

pedal

Postby page89 » Thu Jul 06, 2006 5:57 pm

page89
Regular

Postby stratman_27 » Fri Jul 07, 2006 12:17 am

I played this unit the other night at Guitar Center during their one day 20% off one item sale. I gave it serious consideration as it is a good piece but when you boil it down the effects on it still have a "digital" twang to them even with the 12ax7 tubes in there. Its miles better than the POD XT runs a dead heat with the Boss GT-8 but its I hate to say it "its digital" If you don't mind having a colder tone to your guitar I say go for it. The big question is when looking at one of these units is: Do I really need all these effects? Do the effects that I really want sound good on this unit?

Vox Tonelab has some good effects on it and some of them sound pretty lame. My guitar rig has several effects in it but all of them with one exception are analog. The exception being the Rotary Ensemble Leslie Simulator. It sounds very good and doesn't kill the tone of my tubes.

Now having said that if I were going to buy the Tonelab I'd do my best to get it from Musicians Friend or one of those places that will allow you to return it. And you may want to look for a "blemished" one or scratch and dent as you will save some bucks.
stratman_27
Regular

Postby page89 » Fri Jul 07, 2006 4:16 am

what would you recomend for the same price range?
page89
Regular

Postby stratman_27 » Fri Jul 07, 2006 11:59 pm

I really don't know what kind of effects your looking for or if your planning on using this as an interface (DI) for recording or as just an all in one effects processor. I'd say for the money the Tonelab and the Boss GT 8 are a toss up. Play them both and pick one.

My question to make a good recommendation is:

What kind of amp are you playing?
What kind of guitar(s) are you playing?
What effects are you looking for?
Who/What tone are you looking for?
stratman_27
Regular

Postby page89 » Sat Jul 08, 2006 1:42 am

I've only been playing for a year or two. Right now I have a little Fender practice amp--25watt, but I'm looking to buy a nice tube amp big enough to play with a drummer and other band members at gigs. Problem is I don't have that much money. I play a Fender Stratocaster. I'm looking for some distortion, delay, chorus, reverb, tremolo, wah-wah, and someway to change the volume with my foot. I probably need some more effects but I havent researched it so I don't know what they are. I'm playing classic rock 'n' roll and blues and some swing. I was hoping I could find a good quality pedal that I could use for all my effects so I wouldnt have to have a million little pedals all linked together. I'd say $500 is the most I could spend on it. I don't think I want something that sounds digital though. Thanks.

--Chris
page89
Regular

Postby huge blues » Sat Jul 08, 2006 3:37 am

I own the desktop version of the Tonelab. The model without the pedals. It was a purchase made after spending a good deal of time practising with a Korg PX4, the "little brother" to the Tonelab. The Tonelab does pack alot of goods into a small package and the vacuum tube does help things out by warming the signal up. I've had mixed results using it with a band. The presets you tweak using headphones might take on another life when run though a PA system. One plus is that the unit has all the right "outs" to run into an amp, recorder, mixer, etc.
Two things I like about the Tonelab are the acoustic simulator and the Vox amp models. I don't play an acoustic and it's nice to fake it here and there for a song or two. The Vox amp models are a good deal if you like the tone of British blues. The AC-15 sim is a favorite of mine. A cool feature is you can mix-and-match amps and cabinets to model amps that were factory hybrids.
My opinion is that amp modelers are an alternative to toteing a truckload of different amps and effects around but they not dead-on copies of the real thing. I got told that I could not get away with using a modeler to play the blues. I don't really belive that but will cop that it's probably a bit ahead of it's time. As I see it, if the old masters returned from the grave they would embrace the technology in a heartbeat. As with ALL things digital, it will come down to how much you can comprehend it's functions and are willing to tweak it away from it's factory presets. I will strongly recommend you go to Musicians Friend, read all the reviews and download the manual.
huge blues
Regular

Postby straightblues » Sat Jul 08, 2006 4:23 am

First of all, you don't need all of those effects to play clasic rock and blues. You may want them, but you don't NEED them. I play out with just a guitar and a cord all the time.

There are a lot a multi-effects pedals for $100 to $200. I bought a Korg AX-1500 when I was in your position. I has tons of good effects. Not great but good. You can buy one used cheap today and if you are going to do a multi effects, I would recommend this one. However, all multi effects are limiting. They are digital and give you that somewhat sterile sound. The biggest problem I had with the unit is that I would build patches that sounded good and home and then when I cranked up my amp for a gig, they would sound really harsh. However, it did let me expirement with a bunch of effects and determine which ones I wanted. You can get better versions of every effect in a single stand alone small single effects box. Believe me when you play a single great effect next to a multi effects unit, it is like night and day in terms of tone. So I would highly recommend that you buy a used multi-effects if you have to have one so when you sell it, and you will sell it I can almost guarantee that, you won't lose much money.
straightblues
Regular

Postby stratman_27 » Sat Jul 08, 2006 10:13 am

I would say if $500 was my budget I'd put that money toward a tube amp. New or used there are some fine amps that can be had for $500 easily. Like one of the folks mentioned above you tweak your presets on a multi at home and then when you crank up to band volume they are harsh and unuseable. I got suckerd and bought a multi effects unit myself, a Korg AX10G only $150 though. I thought it would solve my delay, chorus, and rotary needs. Oops I was wrong. Now I have it setting on my desk and use it when I'm learning new songs as it has a headphone jack. A silent practice amp. If you shop wisely a good tube amp will provide you distortion to play classic rock and blues and will have reverb on it. My opinion chorus is overated but it does help a strat "fatten" up if used correctly. My experiences with multi effects is that you get a very processed tone out of your amp whereas if you use analog effects you hear your pure guitar and amp tone with an effect. In the long run analog stompboxes are going to cost you less by the individual effect but more overall than a multi effect but you can get the individual effects that you really like instead of being stuck with whats on the multi. Here's my rig for instance:

Guitar

Ernie Ball Volume Pedal
Voodoo Labs Superfuzz
Hendrix JH-1 Wah
Voodoo Labs Sparkle Drive
Voodoo Labs Micro Vibe
Boss Rotary Ensemble (Leslie)

Amp

I will eventually add a delay to this but more than likely it will be an Ibanez AD-9 RI. If you can't get bluesy and classic rock tones out of my rig with a strat or les paul your not trying hard enough. Good Luck
stratman_27
Regular

Postby voneville » Mon Jul 10, 2006 3:11 pm

I think a lot of less experienced guitarists fall into the effects trap. I know I sure did, only we didn't have multi-effects digital processors 15 years ago (well not that I could have afforded, there may have been some crazy rack gear or something). They can be useful to be sure, but a good tube amp and a great sounding guitar is more useful IMO.
voneville
Contributor
Contributor

Postby rustyslide » Mon Jul 10, 2006 11:44 pm

Spend that much money on a little tube amp. They're plenty loud.
rustyslide
Site Admin

Postby stratman_27 » Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:38 am

Try this one before you buy. Some folks don't like the tone of it but its plenty loud enough for most jams and rehearsals and if your playing a club put a mic in front of it. I don't own one but I've played a half dozen different ones and love the tone with a strat.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ ... sku=480491

Another great amp is the one I'm playing and it can be had for way under 500 bucks used. The Peavey Classic 30 is 30 watts and believe me its an earthshaking earsplitting 30 watts. I was easily able to keep up with my buddy the other nite and he was playing a Fender Twin. I was near dimed out but still I could keep up unmiked. The Peavey Classic 50's can be had for about the same money and come in a 2--12 or 4--10 setup and have phenomenal tone for the money. I've been debating between a classic 50 and a Bassman reissue for my live rig to add to my classic 30.
stratman_27
Regular

Return to Guitar