Heard a blues song, liked it, looking for recommendations...

A discussion of the blues for blues lovers and fans.

Heard a blues song, liked it, looking for recommendations...

Postby pretzel » Sat Jul 01, 2006 1:48 pm

Maybe you know it, it's called "Sure 'Nuff N Yes, I Do" by Captain Beefheart. Ry Cooder plays slide guitar there. (I've read it's Delta Blues blended with Rock...)
I'm looking for similar songs to continue with that I'd like... you got any suggestions?
pretzel
Regular

Postby jellyroll baker » Sun Jul 02, 2006 2:55 am

Well, the slide is pretty muchtaken from the traditional Rollin' and Tumblin'[i] theme. The song was first recorded by Hambone Willie Newborn, Robert Johnson used the theme on [i]If I had Possession Over Judgement Day and Muddy, Elmore Jeames, Howlin' Wolf et. al. all recorded songs based on the theme. Any of those would be a good place to start.

If it's the feel thatyou want to hear more of, not the song, then there's other places to go. The Captain's later work is very, very worthwhile but let's just say that it "contains a less formal melodic, harmonic and tonal structure" and might not be everybodies cup of tea. Tom Waits' work with Island (swordfishtrombones, Rain Dogs etc.) has similar blues thmes that might be up your alley. Or, if you want ot hear the blues rocking out but with a similart respect for and knowledge of the sources mabe come contemporary bands like The White Stripes and The Black Keys would be your thing.

That should give you a few laces to go. Hope it helps.
jellyroll baker
Contributor
Contributor

Postby pretzel » Sun Jul 02, 2006 12:30 pm

Hi, a few things about what you said -
First, I do listen to the Captain's later work, and like it very, very much, and it's definitely my cup of tea. In this specific request, I wanted to hear about more artists that share the same musical characteristics of "Sure Nuff", especially the slide guitar, the style, the voices, vibes etc.

From what you said, I understand that I should try one of the things you said in the first paragraph, but didn't really get it - could you recommend a specific album?

I any case, I'll try Tom Waits' swordfishtrombones, heard things about it before and that he was influenced by the Captain.
pretzel
Regular

Postby jellyroll baker » Sun Jul 02, 2006 11:27 pm

pretzel wrote:From what you said, I understand that I should try one of the things you said in the first paragraph, but didn't really get it - could you recommend a specific album?

To clarify a little - Sure 'nuff is based on a traditional structure that's been used as the basis for dozens of songs. A good album to get which contains one of the earliest recordings of the motif, as well as many other fantastic songs that you simply must hear before you die, would be the Yazoo compilation The Roots of Robert Johnson
jellyroll baker
Contributor
Contributor

Return to Talking Blues