Finally A Great Place to Sit all the STUFF

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

Finally A Great Place to Sit all the STUFF

Postby RonVermillion » Fri Jun 23, 2006 4:06 pm

I used to do a solo act with a drum machine some years ago, and I'm trying to get back in the groove and do it again. There is a lot of practicing and book building going on around my place - in spite of the redhead saying things like "You're NOT thinking about doing THAT again are you?"

So anyhow I now have a small PA system (Yamaha Stagepas 300) with a tiny little mixer. I have a JamStation JS-5 for backing music which I have yet to learn to program to song patters other than the out of th box things. Fortunately there are several good 12 Bar patterns in the JS-5 from the factory.

Now I'm thinking about running some Karaoke software like possibly HOSTER on a laptop and using the CDG's from the laptop just as my own backing sound tracks.

Hence the issue, there are all these little electronic boxes that require some attention and operation sitting around. The afore mentioned redhead had three little stacking end table things that I have been using but they look wierd and are on different heights and are really small. And they were brown.

So the other day I was surfing the net looking for something like a small lightweight folding desk and I FOUND IT!

Ta - Da - I wanted to share with you folks the

Balt Fold-N-Go Computer Desk.

It is a small fold up computer workstation desk that is black and silver - like it knew it would be sitting around a black tolex Blues Junior and matching speaker. It folds up and folds out really easily with a latch on each side. I found it on several websites but I got mine from Staples.com because I had a discount cupon for them and it was on sale for less than $70 delivered. It is Staples item number 635167 if you want to look it over.

So if you are doing a sit down gig and need something to sit all the "Stuff" on and still fold it up and carry it around like a card table, here is an option for you.

It arrived today, and I took it to the basement practice area, prepared to spend a couple of hours screwing locking nut B into Jammamatic sliding lever G etc. etc. But when I opened the cardboard carton inside the cardboard carton I just pulled it out and it was completely assembled and ready to go. Amazing. I folded it out and had to remove a couple of pieces of torn off cardboard that were snagged in the contraption from the box and that was it.

I really like this little desk, and it would not look out of place sitting your laptop, drum machines etc. on it at a gig. Or just to use in a small practice area. Or both ..

Just wanted to share...

Ron
RonVermillion
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jeffl » Fri Jun 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Cool deal,Ron! Hey,you didn't have any way of knowing this,but when you're about to post something that includes a mention of canned backing tracks,you have to warn the buskers (like Dan Lange,a.k.a. Lummox) so they can cover their eyes. It's the compassionate thing to do,lol! We walk a fine line around here (being traditionalists,of course) between posting tunes using the latest computer recording software and playing the tunes on 40 yr. old guitars and amps that were sometimes considered crap when they were first sold to the public.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

No offence

Postby RonVermillion » Fri Jun 23, 2006 4:20 pm

Sorry about that. I didn't mean to offend anyone. Can I get a reprive if I play my 1970's Gibson while the backing tracks run? That's the oldes one I have.

Wait Wat I have a better deal. I can play my Yamaha flatop that a friend of mine found in a dumpster. (true story) It had the bridge broken off of the top of the guitar and he gave it to me and I had it repaired. So I do actually have one guitar that is recycled trash I could use.

Ron
RonVermillion
Contributor
Contributor

Postby allanlummox » Fri Jun 23, 2006 4:26 pm

Hey now - when I read Ron's post, I decided to keep it to myself.

You trying to get me in trouble?

(My basic attitude towards electronic rhythms backing solo performance is pretty much exactly like that depicted in "El Mariachi" - and don't even start me on Karaoke.)
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

electricity

Postby RonVermillion » Fri Jun 23, 2006 4:31 pm

There is probably some direct correlation between the amount of natural talent and the investment in practicing and performing and the need for additional sounds to cover up the mistakes.

Lord knows, I need all the help I can get. The only way I could pull this off is to get into a situation where I could get up and leave and no one would know the difference. LOL

Ron
RonVermillion
Contributor
Contributor

Mistakes of a new guy

Postby RonVermillion » Fri Jun 23, 2006 4:32 pm

Just to clarify, are we allowed to use store bought strings or do we have to still unravel the screen door material to get wires. How serious is this?

Ron :)
RonVermillion
Contributor
Contributor

Postby allanlummox » Fri Jun 23, 2006 4:41 pm

Cat gut.

Gotta be cat gut.

Now where'd I put the flint knife I use for cat-guttin'?
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jeffl » Fri Jun 23, 2006 5:00 pm

We all got our "lines in the sand"; for example,I refuse to use the "transpose" button on my Yammy digital keyboard....I figure if I'm too lazy to learn riffs in a key that's new to me,I don't deserve to play the tune. Now,if I was forced to play boards in a band,and didn't have time to learn all the keys we play in, I might cheat,but I'd sure as hell never tell anybody around here. Regardless of whatcher playin',and HOW you play it, it is nice to have the little tools like the desk you've acquired Ron. There's nothin' like the right tools. I've got all kindsa "single use" tools,like line matchers,pre-amps,"trouble lights",etc.,that I hardly ever use,but when you need 'em,nothin' else will do. I would guess that the buskers have a whole little world of handy gizmos that pertain to the busking world,and maybe you guys that have done it can enlighten us civilians a little on that issue.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby allanlummox » Fri Jun 23, 2006 5:10 pm

Well, I do have a bandana printed with dollar bills - to make the case look fuller from right off the bat. ( the more cash is in the case, the likelier people are to put money in.)

And I have a cool folding stool...

There's a thread around somewhere (called "The opposite of Gas") where I've talked about some more prosaic purchases - Mic stands and stuff. Hardware is important.

Today's a beautiful, sunny day - and here I am, packing dishes, getting ready for the move. I may have busked my last busk in the Bay Area.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Fri Jun 23, 2006 5:11 pm

You can busk the rest stops along the highway on the way.
ricochet
Regular

Moving

Postby RonVermillion » Fri Jun 23, 2006 5:20 pm

Ahh the joys of moving. Have a great move. If you come by this way give us a shout.

Ron
RonVermillion
Contributor
Contributor

Postby allanlummox » Fri Jun 23, 2006 5:20 pm

Heading up that ol' highway towards the Columbia River, I might just brush off some Woody Guthrie.

I've been hitting Jane with some of her favorites lately - "Don't fence me in", "I was born under a wandrin' star", and the one about "Done been around this ol' town too long"...

Now maybe I oughta give Ron his thread back...
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby allanlummox » Fri Jun 23, 2006 5:22 pm

Cool, Ron. I haven't been in Tennessee in years.

Ever been up on Rocky Top?
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Thread ownership

Postby RonVermillion » Fri Jun 23, 2006 5:23 pm

No sweat. I'm headed down to the garage to see if I can make a slide rig out of a gas can.

Ron
RonVermillion
Contributor
Contributor

Postby allanlummox » Fri Jun 23, 2006 5:26 pm

allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Next

Return to Equipment Blues