Has Anyone Tried Out A Regal RD-30?

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

Has Anyone Tried Out A Regal RD-30?

Postby joe slide » Wed Jun 21, 2006 2:52 am

Hi,

I'm new on this board and decided to post after some lurking.
I was thinking about trying out an inexpensive Regal RD-30 roundneck. Has anyone tried or heard this?
I've heard for the price that Rogue has a couple of cheapies that sound OK, but heard some talk of them not being put together too well.

The Regals sound like they may be a little more sturdy but I really don't know. I heard also that the Regal RD-45 was decent.

I would be using this mostly for recording.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated,
Joe
joe slide
Regular

Postby mickeypainless » Wed Jun 21, 2006 5:33 pm

Don't know nuttin bout Regal but I do own 2 Rogues and like the biscuit bridge and LOVE the Spider! The imports today seem to be pretty well made IMO!
mickeypainless
Contributor
Contributor

Postby joe slide » Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:01 am

Hey thanks Mickey for the info.

That sounds like another vote for a Rogue.
I think I'll try to find a clip of one being played somewhere.

Joe
joe slide
Regular

Postby Mississippi John » Fri Jun 23, 2006 1:19 pm

Perhaps you've already read the review of this guitar by Michael Messer, at http://www.michaelmesser.co.uk/tgm8.htm. Given that the guitar is positioned in what he terms "the budget range', the review is very positive.

He gave a similarly positive review of the Regal RD-3. I have a Regal RC-2 duolian and am very happy with it. The tone is quite good for the money, and the build is very solid. It has a narrower neck that some of the other aisan resonators out there, and I appreciate this. The neck is fully adjustable, as are most, and was set to the body perfectly. (The point is that Regal seems to make quality product.)

RE the position of the neck joint - this is a key issue, in my opinion, when buying any asian guitar because it really doesn't matter if the neck is 'fully adjustable' if the position or angle neck in relation to the body is off kilter. I have a Korean Martin copy that for 15 years was really difficult to play, and no one - not even the venerable 12th fret in Toronto - could fix it without removing the neck, reshaping the dovetail and reinstalling - a $300 job to fix a $200 guitar!! Now, I'm sure QC is better now than in the mid 1980s, but it is worth keeping mind when buying any cheap guitar.

That, said, couple of years ago I took a hand planer to the bridge on that Hondo and am now happy to sreport it plays like a $1000 guitar and has a 20 yr solid spruce to boot! And I had fun doing it!

Good luck.
Mississippi John
Regular

Postby joe slide » Sat Jun 24, 2006 1:32 am

Thanks John.
I did read the Messer review and a couple days back I was going to order one (RD-45) from MF, but they had just taken it off the web.
I was at McCabes recently and got to try a Regal there and was suprised how well it was built. They only had one model in a round neck.
I will keep in mind what you said about the neck joint.

I just wish I could find a shop with a few different models of Regal resonators in stock to try.
I did get to try a few Nationals and some Beards and Gold Tones, so I guess I now have an idea what quality sound is I think.
But the one Regal I got to try had more color, for lack of a better term in the sound and I kind of liked that. :D

Joe
joe slide
Regular

Postby wwpete52 » Sat Jun 24, 2006 2:36 am

The Regal RD-30 was Regal's bottom of the line reso. It was made in China while the RD-45 and RD-75 were both made in Korea. The RD-30 is of somewhat less quality than the other two mentioned. They originally came in yellow, red, blue, and black. The RD-45 and RD-75 are pretty good guitars. The newer Regals have different model numbers. I know very little about them but I hear good things overall.
wwpete52
Regular

Postby bignick » Sat Jun 24, 2006 3:39 pm

I have an older Regal that is comparable to an RD-45.

The stock cones in Regals sound like 1930s Biscuit Bridge resos to me. I don't know why. Very cool vintage sound. The newer regals have "reflex" chambers in them now. I hear good things about them.
bignick
Regular

Postby joe slide » Tue Jun 27, 2006 1:11 am

Hi All,

I just ordered a regal RD-45 roundneck in natural.

I do appreciate all the help and info everyone gave me. I found where some folks still had some 45s in stock and I made the plunge.

So watch out, the questions will be flyin soon.

Joe
joe slide
Regular

Return to Guitar