about the brozman dvd

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

about the brozman dvd

Postby matth12 » Mon Jun 19, 2006 7:42 pm

Would the dvd set be helpful to me if I play electric, or is there something else I should look for to learn more? I have never seen or heard of anyone using fingerpicks for electric slide. Also, is it a necessity to use the finger picks when learning brozman's method? I am pretty new to slide and am still trying to learn. Thanks for the help.
matth12
Regular

Postby srvlives » Mon Jun 19, 2006 10:13 pm

There would be plenty of other titles out there that would be more helpful for electric than Brozman's

As for fingerpicks, I don't think it's necessary, though if you have the choice, choose to learn to use them.
srvlives
Regular

Postby thebluescaster » Tue Jun 20, 2006 1:30 pm

The Brozman series is geared more toward getting that huge reso-acoustic sound out of fingerpicking slide. Some of what he teachs would be good for any style.

Fingerpicks are more often used to get more volume out of an acoustic, although some electric players like John Cippolina use them.

I'd check out the slide DVDs from Arlen Roth, or Roy Rogers if you want to focus on the 'classic' electric sound.
thebluescaster
Regular

Postby allanlummox » Tue Jun 20, 2006 2:19 pm

http://www.guitarworkshop.com/books/dvd ... electrics/

Check out Kirby Kelley's dvd.

He's a brilliant player, and a great guy.

The DVD's good, too.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby the_big_crunch » Tue Jun 20, 2006 3:47 pm

I don't play electric, and I've only been working with the Brozman DVDs for a few months, but I'm going to say that this is DEFINITELY geared towards the acoustic player. Some things are very ikely to be transferable, but the discs really do seem to be aimed at playing acoustic. I fought and fought against using those picks (and adopting a two-finger style), and in a sense I'm still kind've getting used to it, but it REALLY makes a diference. If you are still new to this style, then follow his advice for a good while. You'll need to adjust the plastic in a hot water bath to fit your fingers, but I've become a believer in plastic fingerpicks. I will say that I continue to use my bare fingers (and a three-finger style) when playing Mississippi John Hurt style stuff, but for slide, I have become a devotee of Mr. Brozman and his methods.
the_big_crunch
Regular

Postby jamesfarrell » Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:09 am

Got my dvd's today and I would highly recommend them. Bob already showed me a world of stuff I had no concept of. I feel like 20% better already. And I'm like only 10 minutes into DVD1 :shock:

Anybody got any time for sale? Caus I need some. Like 3 weeks undisturbed by work or society :lol:

Seriously, this guy is awesome.

Since I started acoustic I've been using these

I use them backwards so the fingerprint is facing the hole. They bite perfect and don't snag at all.
jamesfarrell
Regular

Postby ricochet » Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:10 am

Fingerprint facing the hole is the way they're meant to work.
ricochet
Regular

Postby jamesfarrell » Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:18 am

ricochet wrote:Fingerprint facing the hole is the way they're meant to work.

D 'oh :lol:
jamesfarrell
Regular

Postby Jonas A » Thu Jun 22, 2006 7:53 am

Check Rory Gallagher. Rarely dampens the strings like my good friend Bob teaches and have a fairly unique style of playing, both electric and acoustic. Percussive (like Son House, Bukka White) with exceptionally nice phrasing.

Check his acoustic version of Tony Joe Whites "As the crow flies" on the live Irish Tour '74 album, and his electric slideplaying on a track like "I could've had religion" on the Live in Europe '72-album (which also features an awesome fingerstyleversion of Blind Boy Fuller Pistols Slapper Blues and stomping mandoblues Going To My Hometown).

Anyway: Bob is a great tutor and his workshops and shows are very inspirational. :D
Jonas A
Regular

Return to Guitar