Awesome clip of Rory with a National...

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

Awesome clip of Rory with a National...

Postby bignick » Sun Jun 18, 2006 6:00 pm

I know I posted one already, but this is even better. I think Rory Gallagher is my new guitar hero. Such an underrated musician. This is another acoustic set clip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1zsRRt1 ... 0Gallagher
bignick
Regular

Postby crowduck » Mon Jun 19, 2006 12:19 am

Very Cool!!!
Thanks Nick!

CrowDuck
crowduck
Regular

Postby mickeypainless » Mon Jun 19, 2006 12:27 am

I love that clip! I'm a HUGE Rory fan myself!
mickeypainless
Contributor
Contributor

Postby houndog » Mon Jun 19, 2006 7:00 am

Hello Big Nick,
I have to say over here in Britland Rory was never underated, but I do think that he enjoyed the curse of a hard touring muso.
" Oh ,I see Gallacher is at the Odeon " .
"Yep".

I have a video from a late 80's tv show of him playing in Dublin, I actually think that it is the pinnacle of live blues rock for me. Trouble is I can't find it :roll:

I have only ever seen two musos stop a full band set and sit down solo with a mandolin, fairly brave when facing a couple of thousand people. Rory Gallacher and Ry Cooder.

adios,
Lovat
houndog
Regular

Postby bignick » Mon Jun 19, 2006 2:14 pm

Houndog,

Fortunately, thanks to YouTube, almost all of his concert videos are posted on there somewhere. At least clips of them are.

I am very thankful that I came across his music when I did. He is definitely in my top 3 now and embodied everything I love about blues rock music.

What type of National is he playing in this clip? It looks like a wood bodied Duolian? This clip made me want to buy one.
(I have never been a die-hard National guy. I lean towards Dobros.)
bignick
Regular

Postby podunk_phill » Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:11 pm

Have you ever seen or herd Michael Hakanson-Stacy he normaly plays all the parts on his cd's except the drums.
podunk_phill
Contributor
Contributor

Postby podmo » Tue Jun 20, 2006 1:07 am

Hi, all:

Regarding Michael Hakesson-Stacy, I bought a National Estralita from him a few years ago off of eBay. He threw in a selection of his CDs, and it was all good stuff. He apparently runs an outfit called "Time and Strike Music" that records and publishes his CDs, and also owns a music store. I think he is in the Boston area. He was very approachable over the phone, and sold me the guitar at a very fair price.

Time and Strike also records several other artists, including a fabulous harmonica player and singer named Reverend Dan (now deceased), also Mary Flower (once upon a time), and other roots music types. He, himself, appears on several tunes on National Guitars first sampler disc.

Best wishes,

Pod
podmo
Regular

Postby maxx england » Tue Jun 20, 2006 2:37 pm

The system here isn't letting me in to You Tube. However, I will suggest you look for "Off The Handle", it does it for me.
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby savage » Thu Jun 22, 2006 3:29 am

thanks for postin that nick, really enjoyed it
savage
Regular

Postby Jonas A » Thu Jun 22, 2006 7:42 am

Huge fan of Rory myself. Have followed him since Fall '69 (makes me a very old man...) and few others have been that influential on my own slide- and bottleneckplaying.

And after admiring his Nat since the early 70's, I got myself the same make, model and year of make as Rory's for my 50th birthday:

'31 walnutburst National Triolian.

Identical to Rory's but I use 0.16 strings compared to Rory who used 0.11 (atleast in the 70's). When he plays Son House-track Empire State Express on one of his last records, it sounds like he uses heavier more resonant strings thou.

For a good crosselection of acoustic numbers, check the first Rockpalast dvd (not the box-set). Rory's first ever Rockpalast-appearance ('76) began with an amazing 30 minutes acoustic set that sees Rory play some awesome acoustic, 12-string and triolian guitar, fingerstyle and bottleneck (even lap style). And to watch his highspeed, fierce fingerstyle (hybrid Travis-picking) version of Blind Boy Fullers Rag Mama Rag - leaves Clapton and most other current fingerstyleguitarists far, far, far behind. And this was like 30 years ago. 8)

Rory Gallagher is still the King, eleven years after his untimely death June 14th '95.

http://www.rorygallagher.com :)
Jonas A
Regular

Postby Jonas A » Thu Jun 22, 2006 8:12 am

If your new to Rory Gallagher, start out by his Live In Europe '72-album (skip the awful bonustracks, thou). It was a goldselling album that put Rory ahead of Clapton, Hendrix and others in the guitarist-polls that year.

Features a nice crossection of Rory at his best: Awesome fingerstyle (Blind Boy Fullers Pistols Slapper Blues), stomping mando-blues, blistering electric deltaslide (I could've had religion, Too much alcohol), excellent non-cork up versions of non-original bluestracks (like Junior Wells "Messin with the kid") etc.

Lots of energy, sweat and passion. An album that still stands very strong and feels very current and up to date.

And if that one works well for a starter, move on to the Irish Tour '74 for some more exciting energetic crossections of electric and acousticguitarplaying, slide and bottleneck, flatpicking and fingerpicking etc. :D
Jonas A
Regular

Postby 1dustyeod » Thu Jun 22, 2006 3:03 pm

Rory has been a favorite of mine since the 70's. I do at couple of his tunes during our shows and I'm planning on putting one or two on the new CD we're working on now. He is an amazing performer that is sadly missed but not forgotten I'd say that he, Tommy Bolin, Steve Marriott, and Muddy Waters were the biggest influences I have had. Great stuff....

"Straight by the shoulder, straight by the hip,
If I've fallen over, she make the pieces fit,
If I get arrested, In some legal twist,
She talkes to the judge and gets the case dismissed
You know I ain't no saint,
Won't make it through the pearly gates,
I feel alright down here Lord,
I think Heavens gonna have to wait........"

8)
1dustyeod
Regular

Postby Jonas A » Thu Jun 22, 2006 3:19 pm

When you do, Tommy, please let the world of Rory-fans know that, by posting a message on The Meetingplace - the forum of the official Rory-site http://www.rorygallagher.com

Pleasure to meet a fellow collegue and Rory-fan! :P
Jonas A
Regular

Postby savage » Thu Jun 22, 2006 4:46 pm

man, i stayed up till the wee hours listening to his music. After I saw the video I started listening to a buncha his stuff. I have heard OF him, but to tell you the truth I had never really sat down andlistened to him. Not a guy played on the radio around here or talked about very much. I can't believe I've never been exposed to his music. He's got some great music. Not a guy on a star-trip or nothin. Gives it to you how it is. I'm gonna go find some of his albums today at the music store, maybe even buy a few records :D Thanks again guys!
savage
Regular

Postby bignick » Thu Jun 22, 2006 4:54 pm

Savage...I knew you would dig this. The same thing happend to me. I was looking at the Rory Gallagher tribute Strat (been in a strat mood lately) and decided to check him out on You Tube last weekend. I listened to his stuff until 2am on Saturday night and watched his videos and interviews.

What a solid guy. If I could meet any musician alive or dead, he would be in my top 3. I am currently buying his stuff on Itunes. I love it when he tears up that White Telecaster.

I couldn't believe that I haven't heard him until just last weekend either. It is almost a travesty.
bignick
Regular

Next

Return to Guitar