Book: Finding Robert Johnson

[Locked - post in relevant instrument/gig/recording section]

Postby stumblin » Sat Jul 01, 2006 9:05 am

So what is this mystery tuning?
I'm going to take a lot of convincing that Robert's songs weren't played in the tunings I already know, especially given that they are all transcribed in Woody Mann's excellent book of Robert Johnson tabs - all in Open-G, Open-D, Dropped-D and Standard tunings, not a "mystery tuning" in sight.
stumblin
Regular

Postby jellyroll baker » Fri Jul 07, 2006 11:20 am

I'm guessing OpenAadd9. It's been bandied around before.

Oh yeah, I like on the first post how it says the new tunign "simplifies the use of open tunings". I've always though that tuning to an open chord is about as simple as you could get without playing a diddley bow.
jellyroll baker
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Fri Jul 07, 2006 3:36 pm

Isn't that the truth?!
:lol:
ricochet
Regular

Re: Book: Finding Robert Johnson

Postby LittleBrotherBlues » Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:49 pm

I have to admit I was intrigued over this whole idea but it all unraveled quickly when I began slowing down the authentic RJ recording and comparing it to the demonstration by Gene Roebuck on Youtube and his web pages. He claims to get the REAL sound you need his tuning but I actually found the complete opposite. I found my tests with standard tuning matched the original RJ recordings perfectly and the cross tuning demonstrations couldn't even match well enough to make it past the introduction. Although the main 1-6-2-5 chord step down he makes does sound nice and close to the RJ recording. Frankly it's just NOT the same. Sorry but I was gifted with enough of an ear to hear when something does NOT match. I'm always revising and improving my knowledge of songs but if you want to sound like RJ you're going to have to learn the essence of the blues and why he was so great. It had NOTHING to do with which tuning he used. In fact most blues players know how to play a given song in more than one tuning and float from one to the other depending on the playing situation or their own whim.

I get kinda aggravated with the crossroads kinda stuff. Wax on Wax Off Blues. So forgive me being too critical. I have nothing but respect for the author and his work. I'm not sure if I agree with some of the things said but he most likely leaves himself some wiggle room in the book. Personally I think it's another example of people chasing the wrong answer.

1. Hold a barred A chord with index finger across fret 2, string 1-2-3-4 then add the pinky on fret 5 or string one. Strum string 4-3-2-1. Now that's a long A chord.....

2. Now slide that pattern up the neck to the 5th fret with the pinky on fret 8 of the first string. That's a C chord now. But still the A shape.

3. Strum the C two times. Slide the chord pattern down one fret to B and strum two strokes, then to A and two brushes down.

4. Now for the little chord clutter during the intro. Hold a C major chord but kinda hammer on the first finger into the C chord.

5. Now change to an F chord and brush it once. Then use that index finger to lay across string 1-2-3 and brush that partial chord.

6. Lastly hold a full G7 chord but kind brush the notes a couple of times.

You should in a very crude way hear the real sound of the RJ recording and with a small body guitar the sound should even come close to matching.

I'm going to post some more stuff on my youtube channel for free to show this stuff. We need more light shed and a little less theatre in my opinion. Blues isn't even about the notes. But if we are going to study it we should really do our homework.

Hope you folks dont mind me sharing my opinions. I have been searching to see if any other people thought the Devil Tuning was possibly NOT what RJ was using on some of these songs in question. I'm only using "They're Red Hot" as a reference.

Thanks
LB
littlebrotherblues.com
youtube/littlebrotherblues
LittleBrotherBlues
Regular

Postby ricochet » Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:08 am

Welcome back, Little Brother! Haven't seen you here in a long time.
ricochet
Regular

Postby LittleBrotherBlues » Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:52 am

ricochet wrote:Welcome back, Little Brother! Haven't seen you here in a long time.

thanks ricochet :)
LittleBrotherBlues
Regular

Previous

Return to Wish I'd Known This!!