Greetings

Required: Just registered? Give us a short introduction. You won't be able to post anywhere else until you have an approved post here.

Everything else -- questions, comments, observations -- should find a home in the other forums.

Greetings

Postby zach » Thu Oct 27, 2005 5:03 pm

Hey everyone here, my name is Zach Benson.

Quick background I guess. I am for the most part new to blues. I am young but grew up listening to metal, hard rock, and experimental music for the most part. Example... Black Sabbath, Melvins, Clutch, Led Zeppelin, Jethro Tull, Fantomas, Goatsnake, etc... anyways.

I always liked the blues type stuff that some of these bands who throw out (of course most notably Zeppelin) but I never really ventured into that much. Then I heard a cover version of Howlin' Wolfs "Who's Been Talking" that Clutch did on their most recent album. I then started searching up Howlin Wolf and have since fallen in love with this guy. Now all I am listening to is blues and trying to search up more.

Also, I've been a drummer in metal bands for sometime, but when I quit my last band I bought a cheap pawn shop guitar to play. Yesterday I bought a slide for it. Then I found this place with some tips. Holy hell, I think I'm in love.

So you may see me around now and again soaking up any tips and whatnot that I can.

Excuse me if I ask stupid questions.
zach
Regular

RE: Greetings

Postby cheyenne » Thu Oct 27, 2005 5:39 pm

Welcome Zach,

You'll probably find most of your questions have been answered in the forum archives somewhere when you search, but don't be shy to ask questions of anything specific etc.. as there are no real 'forum nazis' who will cut you down if you ask a common question, as opposed to other forums around the place.

What type of cheap guitar did you buy to learn on and are you going ok on it?
cheyenne
Regular

Postby zach » Thu Oct 27, 2005 6:17 pm

Well it is an Indiana guitar...never heard that brand name before. I'm having a couple issues with the tuning knobs I am probably gonna fix soon (G string frequently breaking at the top). I got it for 50 bucks. Otherwise it works for me. I use medium/heavy guitar strings. Yesterday as I mentioned I got a bronze slide. And I have a Hohner A harp around somewhere that I have attempted to play but I'm not so good at it.

I have a friend I jam with, who is not into the blues and not experienced in music at all but he has the wackiest voice which I love. So I have no true bluesy stuff to show right now but if you are interested there is some music samples on myspace.com/berkoandbenson

I did record something with the slide last night but havent posted it yet, and anyways it comes off as more desert cowboy feel than bluesy to me. Maybe thats because I layered it up with lots of reverb, echo and a dash of delay. It's my wierd experimental nature in me.
zach
Regular

Postby nizer » Thu Oct 27, 2005 9:44 pm

Greetings zach. "Who's Been Talking" really grabbed me when I first heard it too. It was on the Wolf's London Sessions I think, with those British rock star guys.

>I did record something with the slide last night but havent
>posted it yet, and anyways it comes off as more desert
>cowboy feel than bluesy to me. Maybe thats because I layered
>it up with lots of reverb, echo and a dash of delay. It's my
>wierd experimental nature in me.

That sound's cool. Cheyenne, you should play The Unamed Stranger for zach.
nizer
Regular

Postby zach » Thu Oct 27, 2005 10:12 pm

Yea I've got a couple different versions of Who's Been Talking somewhere on my computer... anyways I ended up putting that song on my myspace.com/berkoandbenson page.

I entitled it the Turtle, but again I warn that most of the stuff isnt very bluesy in any traditional sense. Not yet anyways. Pots and Pans is the closest there is right now.
zach
Regular

Postby cas » Fri Oct 28, 2005 1:59 am

Welcome Zach!

Has anybody noticed how many converts from the metal side we've gotten lately? Nice to know some metalheads have seen the light and come to the devil's music. :D

And, welcome to all others who've joined in the last month or so.

Carol
cas

Postby maxx england » Fri Oct 28, 2005 8:21 am

G string breaking at the top? I will refrain from the dirty minded comment that sprang to mind first, however, I will guess you have the guitar raised to E or A and you have a wound string. Try going to plain or lower the tuning to D or G.

Welcome anyway, and remember, like above, we all started somewhere so nothing you ask will be treated as stupid.

And before I go, allow me to contaminate you even more:

Hound Dog Taylor!
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby 1four5 » Fri Oct 28, 2005 9:12 am

It won't be long, and you will be looking for a reso guitar. It's already too late, the sliders have cast their evil spells on you :)
1four5
Regular

Postby maxx england » Fri Oct 28, 2005 10:35 am

>It won't be long, and you will be looking for a reso guitar.
>It's already too late, the sliders have cast their evil
>spells on you :)

Aaah haa haa haaaa! (ad reverb to suit)
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby zach » Fri Oct 28, 2005 2:04 pm

Thanks again all for the welcomes... I'm not going to ask what reso guitar is but I am going to go look it up now. I did tune my guitar to the open g style that was recommended. But now I have to figure out how to play in that tuning without falling to the obvious cadence's (I think thats the right word) all the time.
zach
Regular

Postby blues power » Fri Oct 28, 2005 6:37 pm

welcome to the site. dont worry no question is stupid if its asked sincerely.
blues power
Regular

Postby cheyenne » Fri Oct 28, 2005 9:38 pm

>>.........desert
>>cowboy feel than bluesy to me. Maybe thats because I layered
>>it up with lots of reverb, echo and a dash of delay. It's my
>>wierd experimental nature in me.
>
>That sound's cool. Cheyenne, you should play The Unamed
>Stranger for zach.

Oh yeah... hmm that's kinda echoey and desert cowboyish isn't it?
Zach, the song Nizer thinks you might like is

*Unnamed Stranger* on http://www.soundclick.com/specialj

Thanks Nize :)
cheyenne
Regular

Postby ricochet » Fri Oct 28, 2005 11:04 pm

Welcome, Zach!

Nothing's wrong with "falling to the obvious cadences." That's blues!

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
ricochet
Regular

Postby tom 1960 » Fri Oct 28, 2005 11:59 pm

Welcome Zach from one Howlin' Wolf fan to another. The Wolf's responsible for getting me into the blues big time. If you don't already own it, look for The Howlin' Wolf Story on DVD or VHS. Absolutely amazing stuff from one incredible man.
tom 1960
Regular

Return to A Bit About You