Hi from Canada

Required: Just registered? Give us a short introduction. You won't be able to post anywhere else until you have an approved post here.

Everything else -- questions, comments, observations -- should find a home in the other forums.

Hi from Canada

Postby rotren » Sun Aug 14, 2005 12:50 am

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Aug-13-05 AT 08:52 PM (EST)]I just joined, looks like a great community. I am Swedish but I live in Canada since 1999. I play blues, jazz, some country and folk sometimes. My guitars are 3 Squiers, one Richard and my amps are Reverend Hellhound and Vox Valvetronix AD50VT. I have a bunch of pedals too, mostly inexpensive stuff. My website has video clips and some gear reviews. Nice to be here!
rotren
Regular

RE: Hi from Canada

Postby ricochet » Sun Aug 14, 2005 1:01 am

Hi Rotren, welcome!

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
ricochet
Regular

Postby nizer » Sun Aug 14, 2005 2:24 am

Welcome to BRB rotren - and to Canada. I'm near Toronto.
nizer
Regular

Postby cheyenne » Sun Aug 14, 2005 5:20 am

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Aug-14-05 AT 01:26 AM (EST)]Hi Rotren, that's weird because I was at your 'dolphinstreet' site only last night viewing your video demos of the valvetronix amp, as I'm eyeing off the ad30 one... haha I have your video still in my downloads box. :P

Anyway, you've got a pretty professional looking site there, you seem like an experienced player.

You do much slide work?
cheyenne
Regular

Postby rotren » Sun Aug 14, 2005 1:54 pm

Slide work? Not much - unfortunately I haven't learned how to do it well. As soon as I have a guitar in a non-standard tuning, I get scared... and I find it hard to use a slide well in a standard tuning. Any tips?
rotren
Regular

Postby cheyenne » Sun Aug 14, 2005 2:16 pm

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Aug-14-05 AT 10:19 AM (EST)]>Slide work? Not much - unfortunately I haven't learned how
>to do it well. As soon as I have a guitar in a non-standard
>tuning, I get scared... and I find it hard to use a slide
>well in a standard tuning. Any tips?

Hmm well i'm the exact opposite. I've never played a single chord in standard (evil) tuning and never plan to haha...
As far as tips well.. I guess if you could possibly after re-tuning your guitar think of it in a totally different way, forget your usual fretboard brain-maps and be as a child and learn from scratch, you'd make fast progress possibly.
But that's a way harder thing to do than it sounds. Kind of like saying don't think of a pink elephant!

If you do muck around with open G or D for example, some nice 'hot zones' are 3rd fret, 5th fret and frets 10-12. Noodling around on there in various ways with every string should give you a smile when you find out something that sounds good.

You know what could work is if you got a lap-steel where fretting is impossible and also the new physical position of playing might be good as a learning experience. Short of that there's plenty of older threads on the forum you can sift through for beginner slide stuff.
I know one big tip for playing slide with standard tuning, learn how to mute strings really well with your pick/right hand! haha

Anyway neither is better than the other, but alternate tunings are my comfort zone and standard is yours, no harm in it!
Hope you find some inspiration and cool new ideas on here. :)
cheyenne
Regular

Postby mickeypainless » Sun Aug 14, 2005 3:52 pm

Nice to have ya here! I spent some time on your pentatonic lesson this morning and it helped me over a bit of a wall I'd been hitting lately in my improv. stuff! THANX! Look fwd to see'n ya around the Big Road!
Mick
mickeypainless
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Sun Aug 14, 2005 4:03 pm

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Aug-14-05 AT 12:03 PM (EST)]>If you do muck around with open G or D for example, some
>nice 'hot zones' are 3rd fret, 5th fret and frets 10-12.

Don't forget the 7th fret!

12 bar blues in the home key of an open tuning couldn't be simpler. To start with, bang on the open strings a while. That's the I chord. Barre the fifth fret and bang on that a while. The IV chord. Bang on the open strings (or barre the 12th fret) for the I again. The seventh fret gives you the V, the fifth gives you the IV, and you're back to the I on open strings or the twelfth fret again.

Open tunings take out all that esoteric pattern memorizing you have to do in standard tuning, which reminds me of learning the constellations. The cardinal chords are all laid out in linear order, like a keyboard. Within each barre chord, the root(s), fifths and third are always on the same strings, so if you want to modify a chord you always know which string needs to be fretted ahead of or behind the slide. Easy!

A lot of the good licks are based on picking a note on one of the above-mentioned frets, sliding down 2 frets, picking a neighboring string and sliding back up 2 frets. Or starting 2 frets under one of the above "hot frets," picking a note and sliding up, then jumping over to pick a neighboring string or two. Sort of like a knight jumping on a chessboard.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
ricochet
Regular

Postby cheyenne » Mon Aug 15, 2005 3:29 am

>>If you do muck around with open G or D for example, some
>>nice 'hot zones' are 3rd fret, 5th fret and frets 10-12.
>
>Don't forget the 7th fret!

haha.. True true, though I didn't want to talk about chord changes right off the bat, just little runs in the root chord.

Hey Rotren try this one out in open G:

D--------------------12~--------------
B----------------/12~----/12-/12~-----
G-------0-/3-0---------------------12~
D--0-/3-------------------------------
G-------------------------------------
D-------------------------------------
cheyenne
Regular

Postby rotren » Mon Aug 15, 2005 3:21 pm

Hey Cheyenne, I don't know how to read that. Do you have an audio clip?
rotren
Regular

Postby cheyenne » Mon Aug 15, 2005 3:42 pm

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Aug-15-05 AT 12:43 PM (EST)]ahh.. well I don't but i'll record it sometime soon and send you an email of it instead.

The number ie: " 3 " denotes the fret number.
The " / " slash, represents a slide up and a " \ " is a slide down.
The " ~ " just means wiggle it all about!
The letters on the left are the string's note, in open G, with lowest note on bottom, highest on top.

So this fake made-up example here: ----3/5--0--3\2--12~~--
means slide up from 3rd to 5th fret, then open, then slide down 3rd to 2nd fret, then 12th fret to finish with a little wiggle on the end!

Anyway I didn't pick a great set of notes, it was just as an example of slide is all, though it does sound bluesy.
cheyenne
Regular

Postby nizer » Mon Aug 15, 2005 11:43 pm

hey, thanks for the lessons cheyenne ---- i'm pickin it up!

sorry rotren
nizer
Regular

Postby cheyenne » Tue Aug 16, 2005 1:03 pm

That's ok Nizer, it's not the greatest little melody but you can learn TAB from the example. It's a handy thing to know for some songs to learn from the net etc.. if you're having trouble getting it down properly by ear at all.
Bluegrass banjo tabs though are a different matter... One line of it = about 1 nanosecond of playing time, just with 40 notes.. Very slow going if doing it by the numbers precisely.

*headache*! :)
cheyenne
Regular

Postby rotren » Fri Aug 26, 2005 6:13 pm

Thanks for the lesson, it was good!
rotren
Regular

Postby cheyenne » Fri Aug 26, 2005 6:38 pm

>Thanks for the lesson, it was good!

You're welcome Rotren.