Howdy Hi there, freinds and neighbors...

Required: Just registered? Give us a short introduction. You won't be able to post anywhere else until you have an approved post here.

Everything else -- questions, comments, observations -- should find a home in the other forums.

Howdy Hi there, freinds and neighbors...

Postby picker » Fri Aug 12, 2005 11:24 pm

...crankin' on ya from the heartland, and glad to be able to. My nom de plume is Picker, but my name is Mike, and I answer to either one. I am 52 years of age, and I have been playing rock, blues, and blues rock since I was 16. My life was changed one day by hearing a cutesied up British band called the Animals play a 100 years old blues classic called House of the Rising Sun. It was like the shape of my brain changed or something when that guitar player hit the first arpegiated chords of the intro, and for the first time in my life, I had a goal that no one else gave me, and it was burning a hole in my brain; I HAD to learn how to do that! It took me a while, but I found a guy who knew how to play it, and I learned. Oddly enough, these days, I can't stand to hear the song; I played it to death, and moved on to other songs. But that is how I got started.

I have been in a number of bands over the years, never got famous or made any money at it, but I still love it, even so.

These days, I am not playing anywhere but church, and kind of happy with that. They let my take a lot of lead breaks when I play the guitar, and they let me play bass too, so it's usually fun. I think about hitting a blues jam every so often, but the ones around here are kinda awful; you show up, sit around waiting hours to play two or three songs with people who may or may not know anything about playing whatever instrument they dragged in, then sit down for a few more hours, or leave. I may not be "all that" but I am definitely too old to put up with "all that".

I like Jimi, Eric, BB, Muddy, Freddie, Albert(both of them them) Stevie Ray and Jimmy, Duane and Dickie, Warren and Derek, Sonny Landreth, Ry Cooder, and just a whole load of other fantastically talented people.

Hope to be a contributor of good vibes and maybe even a few bits of info I have picked up along the way.

Thanx to Coast to Coast for putting the site online. I am glad to be here.

Mike Vande, da picker...
picker
Regular

RE: Howdy Hi there, freinds and neighbors...

Postby ricochet » Fri Aug 12, 2005 11:27 pm

Welcome, Mike!

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
ricochet
Regular

Postby picker » Fri Aug 12, 2005 11:37 pm

Thanx Ric. Got here by following your link from the GP Guitar Forum. Thanx for posting it.
picker
Regular

Postby ricochet » Fri Aug 12, 2005 11:51 pm

You're welcome. Good to see you here!

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
ricochet
Regular

Postby nizer » Sat Aug 13, 2005 1:04 am

Welcome picker. Yup, I thought Eric Burdon was pretty heavy doing that classic. And lotsa Blues guys played in church. Have fun.
nizer
Regular

Postby mickeypainless » Sat Aug 13, 2005 1:26 am

Hola Mike!
Welcome to da Road! Look fwd to hearin from ya!
Mick
mickeypainless
Contributor
Contributor

Postby houndog » Sat Aug 13, 2005 10:22 am

Hello Mike,
interesting enough my teenage boy ( the Yoof) keeps buying all the classic re-released Brit stuff that I never bought in the 60's + 70's as I was buying all the classic Mericun stuff.

So I am hearing a lot of Kinks and Animals for the first time :D

Interesting on the chemical changes in the brain,I had the same experience in the 70's hearing Ry Cooder's "Tamp em up Solid" for the first time...felt like I had arrived somewhere at last.

adios,
Lovat
houndog
Regular

Return to A Bit About You