'bout me.

Required: Just registered? Give us a short introduction. You won't be able to post anywhere else until you have an approved post here.

Everything else -- questions, comments, observations -- should find a home in the other forums.

'bout me.

Postby technoweezie » Thu Jun 09, 2005 6:02 pm

I am new to guitars although I have been playing clarinet & sax on and off in amateur bands over the last 20+ years. My musical interests run the range from traditional to jazz, blues and folk. I had a cheap little guitar when I was a kid but I don't remember much about it. I seem to recall that the tuners started to strip shortly after I began playing it.

The horns have been sitting in the closet for a few years now; the family & pets finds my honking on a tenor sax to be disagreeable so I decided to take up guitar. The great thing about guitars is that you don't have to drain the spit out of them when you're done playing!

I really got caught up with resonator guitars and ended up taking advantage of the amazing sales on Rogue resonators at Musicians Friends. I guess tenor sax has just given me a taste for being loud.

Two guitars for the price of one can't be beat, I picked up the Rogue spider reso, closely followed by the Triolian when it went on sale. With two guitars I can now start getting the kids involved as well.

The posts on this and other boards helped me a lot in choosing guitars; keep up the good work.

technoweezie
technoweezie
Regular

RE: 'bout me.

Postby ricochet » Thu Jun 09, 2005 6:04 pm

>The great thing
>about guitars is that you don't have to drain the spit out
>of them when you're done playing!

At least, not if you're not a tobacco chewer.

Welcome, tw!

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
ricochet
Regular

Postby bruneau » Thu Jun 09, 2005 8:35 pm

Welcome TechnoWeezie!!!

If you've seen 'Gizmo' the movie about oddities and inventions,
you know what it means draining spit out of instruments.
bruneau
Contributor
Contributor

Postby nizer » Fri Jun 10, 2005 12:17 am

Welcome Technoweezie. I think there's a Mississippi sax forum here, so you should be right at home!
nizer
Regular

Postby trguitar » Fri Jun 10, 2005 6:32 am

Welcome ..... I bet some of the harp players around here can sympathise with the spit thing. The only saliva involved in my guitars is drooling over the new ones I always want to buy.
trguitar
Regular

Postby jeffl » Fri Jun 10, 2005 10:16 am

Welcome,TW! I'm a harper from Minnesota, who grew up playin' trumpet; spit is a non-issue on harp,compared to trumpet. Have fun here; this place offers a great cheap education.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Fri Jun 10, 2005 6:33 pm

>Welcome,TW! I'm a harper from Minnesota, who grew up playin'
>trumpet; spit is a non-issue on harp,compared to trumpet.

Yeah, it just blows through.

A guy puked beer through a harp on the audience near here several years back. Got pretty good "carry" with it, I hear.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
ricochet
Regular

Postby technoweezie » Sat Jun 11, 2005 2:23 am

Hey

I used to play in a band that was a sort of hard drinking, marching, clown, vaudeville, dixieland kind of thing. It was/still is called the Kamloops Rube Band: http://www.kamloopsrubeband.org/ and we played parades, bars, military funerals, you name it. The stage act consisted of lots of gags with starting pistols, chainsaws, and all around fooling around. For one of the gags a Euphonium player would stand up at random intervals and pour about a quart of water out of his horn. Always got the audiences attention!

Technoweezie
-
Better living through gadgetry!
technoweezie
Regular

Postby trguitar » Sat Jun 11, 2005 2:27 am

Yeah ... I suppose those brass instruments do kind of act as a "spit still" and collect the stuff. I tried playing french horn as a kid but kept getting cold sores. I had a Honer Marine Band harmonica as a kid ...... been thinking it might be cool to get a blues harp and start learning some stuff. Harps are so portable. And now I find you can puke through them ... well .....
trguitar
Regular

Return to A Bit About You