Hello, from a far-away land.

Required: Just registered? Give us a short introduction. You won't be able to post anywhere else until you have an approved post here.

Everything else -- questions, comments, observations -- should find a home in the other forums.

Hello, from a far-away land.

Postby neoslider » Sun Mar 27, 2005 5:46 am

The Blues is alive and well in this little corner of New Zealand. 54 years old and have decided to learn to play the music that I love. As a teen in the '60's loved the sounds that were going down, then one day heard Canned Heat and my REAL musical education began! Followed the threads, and here I am, besotted by acoustic blues. Johnny Shines rules in this house, but only just - there's a lot of competition for the crown! Electric blues is pretty damn' popular too! Oh, Peter Green!!!!!!!!!!!! Unfortunately, I'm not one of those "driven" people, so my learning process might be rather slow. But when I don"t feel motivated, what's wrong with kicking back with a Heineken, listening to The Blues, and admiring my four guitars ? Oh, of course, and doing so in one of the most beautiful places in the world!!!!!!!! Visiting New Zealand at any time ? Check in here, Bluesfolk are always welcome. BLUES BE WITH YOU.
neoslider
Regular

RE: Hello, from a far-away land.

Postby allanlummox » Sun Mar 27, 2005 7:01 am

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Mar-27-05 AT 02:01 AM (EST)]Where in NZ?

I have friends in Aukland, and spent 6 weeks travelling around the North Island a few years ago.

Looking forward to another trip, sometime.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Sun Mar 27, 2005 4:44 pm

Hey, Neo!

I've got some buddies in New Zealand who're into old engines, and used to have a friend down there who was a cyclist that I lost track of when he lost his Net Connection.

Looks like you've got some pretty countryside down there!

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
ricochet
Regular

Postby neoslider » Sun Mar 27, 2005 7:02 pm

Thanks Allan. We're in Greymouth on the West Coast of the South Island - a different world from the North Island. A shame you didn't make the S.I. when you were here, you must do so next time. We actually moved here from the N.I. 5 years ago - from Hastings, just south of Napier, which you very probably visited when you were here. Kind regards, Gary.
neoslider
Regular

Postby neoslider » Sun Mar 27, 2005 7:11 pm

Hello Ric. Like to give me some details about your lost friend ? I could do a bit of sleuthing for you - don't guarantee a result though. Where in NZ are your other mates ? Kind regards, Gary.
neoslider
Regular

Postby ricochet » Sun Mar 27, 2005 7:22 pm

10 years later about all I can remember is that he was a young guy who rode a recumbent bike! He felt sorry for a friend of mine who passed out, fell of her bike on her head and suffered serious brain damage, and sent some NZ cash to her mom to help out till the insurance kicked in. (Very generous of him, as he was rather impecunious himself.) Nice fellow. Wish I could think of his name.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
ricochet
Regular

Postby bluejay » Mon Mar 28, 2005 3:36 pm

Hey there Neoslider. As someone else who decided to get back to the guitar in his 50s, I understand exactly what you're talking about. Not to mention, I live in the U.S. version of the SI -- the Northwoods of the Upper Great Lakes, lol.
bluejay
Regular

Return to A Bit About You