Just Beamed down...where am I?

Required: Just registered? Give us a short introduction. You won't be able to post anywhere else until you have an approved post here.

Everything else -- questions, comments, observations -- should find a home in the other forums.

Just Beamed down...where am I?

Postby tricone john » Wed Nov 03, 2004 2:12 pm

Hello out there in vitual guitar land. This is Tricone John from Oxford , UK. Just upstream from the Thames Delta.

As you can guess by my handle I've a tricone. Not a National, just one of those chinese versions marketted in the UK as a Vintage AMG3, a Johnson by any other name, but I love it. Slide blues, particularly the Delta ones from preWar2 are my thing. I want that sound. Pure emotional gutwrenching blowyouaway music. Use steel ProPiks, Dunlop steel thumb pick, Newtone National (MM) 16 gauge strings and a heavy polished stainless steel slide that I machined myself. Just having a new bridge, nut and Mushroom mod done so currently cannot play. Am having serious resonator withdrawal symptoms.

Also play acoustic folk, comedy and Celtic numbers to add some variety and spice on a Tanglewood TW15 FC4 electro-acoustic. Best acoustic I've ever had and great for Ragtime picking. Exclusively a fingerstyle player.

Been playing folk and blues clubs on and off for 30 years. Right at the start I wanted to play the Blues. Fortunately as you experience trouble and strife you start to live the blues and my playing reflects that! There is always a silver lining so get out there and experience some traumas today!

Great site!
tricone john
Regular

RE: Just Beamed down...where am I?

Postby stumblin » Wed Nov 03, 2004 3:21 pm

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Nov-03-04 AT 10:22 AM (EST)]Welcome aboard John :)
And welcome also to anyone else who's joined us recently.

PS. What sort of a machine is the AMG3? I've got an AMG2, those Vintage resonators are a bargain, eh?
stumblin
Regular

Postby tricone john » Wed Nov 03, 2004 4:20 pm

hi Stumblin

The AMG3 is exactly the same as your AMG2, except for a matt nickel finish and wild rose engraving.Still weighs a ton.

I've visited your site and heard that AMG2 of yours. Great style. I also thought the fingerpicking was excellent. You two just get better and better. The French trip really put you on the map, time to get a manager. (????)
tricone john
Regular

Postby doc williamson » Wed Nov 03, 2004 6:20 pm

Welcome to the BRB John.
doc williamson
Contributor
Contributor

Postby stumblin » Wed Nov 03, 2004 6:41 pm

Aw shucks...
Thanks for the kind words John, and thanks for signing our guestbook :)
stumblin
Regular

Postby ricochet » Wed Nov 03, 2004 8:12 pm

Welcome, Tricone John. I think I've talked to you before; maybe on the IGS forum?

I'm another Chinese tricone player, myself. (Johnson brand, probably the same thing as yours, made by AXL.)
ricochet
Regular

Postby bluesmcgoo » Wed Nov 03, 2004 10:47 pm

Hey John!

Welcome to the Big Road!

I must admit to playing with my Johnson from time to time also. (Stole that one right out from under Ric!) :)

You'll find plenty of like minded people around here. Pull up a chair and set a spell.

McGoo
bluesmcgoo
Contributor
Contributor

Postby tricone john » Thu Nov 04, 2004 10:04 am

Thanks guys.
I really feel at home here amongst so many like minded people. Chinese tricones rule OK?
Ricochet; yes I have posted you on IGS. Nice to meet you here.
Stumblin; slide on!
tricone john
Regular

Postby diamond » Thu Nov 04, 2004 11:43 am

Hi John,
Good to see you here - i've read your posts on the U.K. Guitars site (UKguitars.com) - post here often and enjoy!

Have you seen our postings about the U.K. Big Road Blues 'BluesFest' next March? Check out the 'Hometown Blues' section here on the forum and get in touch with us!

Happy Slidin'

Big D.

http://www.diamondbottlenecks.com :)
diamond
Regular

Postby bluesmouse » Thu Nov 04, 2004 12:20 pm

Thanks for the kind words John and welcome to BRB!
I really enjoy playing Stumblin's vintage tricone and I'd like to get one myself someday- fine machines.
It would be great if you could get down to the BRB UK 'fest in March, we're all a really friendly and like-minded bunch.
bluesmouse
Regular

Postby stumblin » Thu Nov 04, 2004 1:18 pm

But watch out for Diamond's renowned "Devil's Tuning" ;)
stumblin
Regular

Postby tricone john » Thu Nov 04, 2004 2:40 pm

Hey Stumblin! What in the world is Diamond's "Devil Tuning"?
Sounds scary!

Diamond: I've looked at the UK Bluesfest info but may be away mid-March in Holland on a training course, if not I'd be delighted to come. A whole room full of blues musicians. Too much! I'd like to try out an 'Ultimate' slide too, that black one with 'allsorts' bits looks wicked.

Regards to all.
tricone john
Regular

Postby david » Thu Nov 04, 2004 3:50 pm

Have you heard Diamond's version of "Stones in My Passway?" Anything sounds that good has to be in the devil's tuning.
david
Contributor
Contributor

Postby tricone john » Thu Nov 04, 2004 4:39 pm

Mmmmmmmmm......must hear this, but keep a garlic clove handy. Wicked huh?
tricone john
Regular

Postby diamond » Thu Nov 04, 2004 10:34 pm

.....picture the scene - 9.30 in the evening, a whole day has passed full of blues music...a few beers have been sunk...we're halfway through a blaringly loud electric blues set from our resident band, and then - it's 'Bluesome Twosome's' turn on stage. Big D, as 'guitar roadie', decides to tune up all the acoustics by ear, ignoring any assistance from an electronic tuner.....you MUST get the drift of the story by now!.....Anyway, 'Devil got my Womam'- more like 'Devil got my G String' (Note to self...don't try'n be a clever ba*&$rd next time - use the tuner!! D'oh!) :+

Happy Tuning...

Big D.

http://www.diamondbottlenecks.com
diamond
Regular

Return to A Bit About You