Hello

Required: Just registered? Give us a short introduction. You won't be able to post anywhere else until you have an approved post here.

Everything else -- questions, comments, observations -- should find a home in the other forums.

Hello

Postby teiscomaniac » Thu Aug 19, 2004 6:10 am

I posted on this site a couple of years ago (under my actual name, Dan Gunter). I lost my password, so registered again using this name--which reveals the deep, dark secret of my love for the greatest guitars ever made: Teiscos!

I came to guitar late (I was 25) and have now been playing for more than 21 years. In real life I'm an attorney (there really goes the neighborhood!). I've always been too lazy actually to learn anything on guitar, so I'm a lousy player--but I'm improving as a collector! I am proud owner of a Teisco Spectrum 5 and a Teisco Checkmate 50. The amp was (according to the helpful folks at Trading Musician) formerly owned by Steve Turner, guitarist for Mudhoney. I have a few other Teiscos, some Epiphones, and a random assortment of other guitars. I usually play through a tiny old Silvertone amp (all tube, naturellement). I have long been a fan of Elmore James and Hound Dog Taylor--and now I have a true Hound Dog Taylor guitar! (I have seen one photo of him with a Spectrum 5.)

Given my work and limited guitaristic skills, I haven't hooked up with any truly compatible musicians here in Seattle. If you're here in Seattle and want to do some mindless jamming, I'll supply the mindlessness (assuming, of course, that one can provide an absence . . .).

Cheers,

Dan "Teiscomaniac" Gunter
teiscomaniac
Regular

RE: Hello

Postby boz » Thu Aug 19, 2004 10:55 am

Welcome Dan,(Again)
Uh..Can anything I say here be held against me ?
(Don't fall for any of Bubba'a knock knock jokes.)
boz
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bluesmcgoo » Thu Aug 19, 2004 12:34 pm

Hey Dan!

Welcome (back) to the Big Road!

Gotta love cheesy guitars!

Enjoy!

McGoo
bluesmcgoo
Contributor
Contributor

Postby david » Thu Aug 19, 2004 2:24 pm

Welcome.

You've already contributed to the discussion: I'm not familiar with Teisco guitars. Any way you could post a picture, or description?

What first drew you to them, and what keeps you there?
david
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Thu Aug 19, 2004 4:01 pm

Welcome back, Dan!

My boy has a Teisco Del Rey short-scale bass, bright green. Pretty cool!

I don't have a Teisco of my own, but I'm big into cheap guitars.
ricochet
Regular

Postby teiscomaniac » Fri Aug 20, 2004 2:40 am

I'll post a bit about Teiscos in the electric forum, principally with links.

As for me: I just happened to buy a Teisco as my first guitar. My brother knew of one for sale cheap (the only thing that I could afford at the time). I picked it up for $60, along with a fine Alamo Dart amplifier (all tube, 1x10). I still have the guitar, but foolishly sold the amp about ten years ago.

At about the same time I bought my guitar, I bought a "Guitar Player" magazine with David Lindley on the cover and a story about Robert Johnson in it. (I had been a blues fan for some years already: thus the desire to play guitar.) Lindley was pictured playing a Danelectro/Silvertone amp-in-case style on the cover of the magazine. He was quoted in the story as being a fan of Teiscos and other Japanese oddities--and thus I was on my way . . .
teiscomaniac
Regular

Postby ricochet » Fri Aug 20, 2004 3:17 pm

My boy bought his Teisco bass for $60 from an older boy who'd basically outgrown it. (He'd shot up to about 6'10".) Didn't need the short scale any more.
ricochet
Regular

Return to A Bit About You