tinman's blues

Required: Just registered? Give us a short introduction. You won't be able to post anywhere else until you have an approved post here.

Everything else -- questions, comments, observations -- should find a home in the other forums.

tinman's blues

Postby tinman » Wed Dec 18, 2002 2:08 am

Hello guys, I just found ya and I'm glad I did! This is just the kind of site I have been looking for.

I am 35 and have played guitar since I was 14. I played 5-string bass in technical metal bands and punk/funk/metal crossover bands for 10 years in the Deep Ellum region of Dallas. Blind Lemon sparked my interest and moderate research of the history of Deep Ellum and it took over my life!! hehe, just joking...but it did do a lot more than just hold my interest.

I quit the 'metal/punk' stuff at 28, sold my GK and Tobias and I was done with music...but it wasn't done with me. After not playing an instrument at all for a couple of years, I picked up an old Gibson acoustic guitar to tune it for a friend who had just bought it and didn't know how to play...I didn't put it down for three or four hours. When I did I had played tunes I hadn't played since high school and written a comical 'country'(?)tune within the 1/4/5 blues structure.

After a few more visits to my buddies house(to play his guitar!!!), I decided to pick up a guitar and then an inexpensive dobro and stop monopolizing his practice time:). I have been on the dobro exclusively for a couple of years now and am auditioning an upright bassman and a jazzy drummer after the first of the year for an all acoustic country blues meets Texas Outlaw...meets western swing with a dose of rockabilly in the mix just to throw you off every now and again!

I am really excited about this project because of the traditional instrumentation. The drummer plays old Sonar&Gretsch drums, with an upright, and my dobro this is going to be a lot of fun. Anyway that's probably more than enough about me to get started...sorry such a long read. Look forward to discussing the old country blues of Deep Ellum and of course the Delta with some of you cats.
tinman
Regular

RE: tinman's blues

Postby ricochet » Wed Dec 18, 2002 2:12 am

Cool! Welcome, tinman!
ricochet
Regular

Postby slidnslim » Wed Dec 18, 2002 2:30 am

You got the right place Tinman! Welcome,

Kenny:-)
slidnslim
Regular

Postby chillywilly » Wed Dec 18, 2002 4:52 am

Hey Tinman, thanks for the history, that's a nice transition. You found your way to the blues by your own route. You also found a good place to pick up some knowledge, this is a killer blues site!
Welcome.

Chilly
chillywilly
Regular

Postby houndog » Wed Dec 18, 2002 7:47 am

Nice one LoneStar Tinster,
taking the blues back home...great.

Are you doing any recording ?

Do you play the dobby in the missionary or upright position?

Ho ho, you came to this site to get soume Q's answered !!

adios,
Lovat.
houndog
Regular

Postby badfinger » Wed Dec 18, 2002 9:48 am

..and what kind of oil do you use, and is Dorothy really as handy with it as she makes out?

Welcome to the Blue Brick Road.

bf
badfinger
Regular

Postby jean cailleux » Wed Dec 18, 2002 3:56 pm

hi tinman

welcome in the big blue house.
greatings from france
jean cailleux
Regular

Postby inbred » Wed Dec 18, 2002 6:48 pm

Hey, tinman. Welcome to the big road.
inbred
Regular

Postby lone dawg » Wed Dec 18, 2002 7:58 pm

Hi Tinman,

Nice to have you along for the ride!

Stan
lone dawg
Regular

Postby tinman » Thu Dec 19, 2002 2:16 am

Houndog:
1-recording...done a couple of tunes on my home 'puter to test a program...the program didn't work for me and with the 'demo' version I can't mix to MP3 or burn to disc. Plan to put together some kind of demo stuff before March '03. Have a dozen or so originals to work with.

2-I play mostly bottleneck because I feel more natural picking that way...usually takes several 'black-n-tans' to make me lay it across my lap. I use a Herco thumb pick shaved down to just barley protrude past my thumb and my fingers.

Badfinger:
1-different oils for different jobs...seriously the 'tinman' handle started because I am in the siding/window/sunroom business and people have always called siding salesmen 'Tinmen' (great movie by the same title with Devito and Dryfus). The handle really stuck when I made the change to the twangy, tinny sounding dobro.

2-Dorothy is very 'handy'...but that requires a special oil.

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. I will definately be more involved in the weeks to come...holidays plus deer season is winding down here in Texas and I am also an outdoor's writer of sorts...I write for http://www.bowhuntingtexas.com if there are any other bowhunters out there check us out, we have lots of information and a budding forum there too.
tinman
Regular

Postby bosco » Thu Dec 19, 2002 5:27 am

Hey Tin - great post!

You addressed all of the hosers at once an' that ain't easy to do...

You got a Michigan Bowhunter here, been known to chase wild turkeys in Missouri and South Dakota as well. Waitin' for the ice to firm up now so we can get back to fishing again.

When I ain't doin' all that you can find me in the blues harp or trivia forums. Great handle; "Tinmen" is a classic movie. You don't drive an old caddy do you? They make great bluesmobiles. Welcome.

Bosco
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby tinman » Thu Dec 19, 2002 7:48 pm

Thanks Bosco. Good to know there is another 'bow-bender' here. Some of my favorite bowhunters are from Michigan. You guys chase them Eastern birds up there with bows? Ever thought 'bout the turkey grand slam? I am covered up with Rio Grande gobblers during the spring season on my lease down here. Could be a good excuse to jam a little too.
tinman
Regular

Postby bosco » Fri Dec 20, 2002 12:02 am

Tinman,

Wow, you just hit the monkey nerve !!! I'm already halfway to my Slam.
Have harvested plenty of Easterns here and in Missouri and got two Merriams in S.D. this past spring. My sister lives in Florida and a good friend of hers runs a bait shop and is an avid turkey hunter. He has offered to guide for me so I have the Osceola angle covered. I don't know anyone in the Southwest and have been thinking all along that the Rio would be the toughest piece of the puzzle. Too cool.

As for your question, no I haven't harvested a turkey with a bow yet. My brother-in-law and I talk about it all the time but we haven't got around to trying yet. I won a pop up blind at the local NWTF banquet this past May so the challenge is on. BTW - my father is on the national board of directors for the NWTF. Like I said you hit the nerve. I play harp in a blues band as well so a jam would be mandatory!

Bosco
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby chillywilly » Fri Dec 20, 2002 4:18 am

Tinman and Bosco,
There is a big flock of California wild turkeys (don't know exactly what species, I'm not a turkey hunter or aficionado[yet!])that cross through my pasture twice a day, everyday. So far I've left them alone but they sure do look appetizing. Come on out and play some blues, we could have a big time, and we could take down one of these bad boys with a large rock or a long stick. A gun or a bow would probably be unfair. Yesterday there was one standing on top of my Jeep in the driveway while I built my morning coffee. I probably could have scared him to death with a loud shout.

I'm thinking that ain't normal for turkeys because I heard they're flighty. But seriously, I could have took him out with a BB gun from the kitchen window.

We must have dumb turkeys here in California. I know they're hard to hunt elsewhere.

"Wild Turkey Blues" sounds like a song waiting to happen.

out-
Chilly
chillywilly
Regular

Postby srvlives » Fri Dec 20, 2002 8:53 am

Yesterday there was one standing on top of my
>Jeep in the driveway while I built my morning coffee
>out-
>Chilly

Seems I had the same thing, except it was an emu though, and we were doing about 120 at the time!

'Forget all about that macho #####,
and learn how to play guitar'
srvlives
Regular

Next

Return to A Bit About You