Blues from sweden

Required: Just registered? Give us a short introduction. You won't be able to post anywhere else until you have an approved post here.

Everything else -- questions, comments, observations -- should find a home in the other forums.

Blues from sweden

Postby pellepiano » Tue Aug 06, 2002 5:47 pm

Hi!
Wonderful to find a bluesforum, and with a section for blues piano, my main instrument.

Im from Stockholm , Sweden and have been gigging for the last 17 years with many different Swedish bands. The only one you may have heard about is Sven Zetterberg (our greatest blues singer, guitar and harmonica player). Lots of great audio on his site http://hem.passagen.se/svenzetterberg/

Im very fond of Otis Spann and Sunnyland Slim and countless other geniuses.

Just wanted to introduce myself.
pellepiano
Regular

RE: Blues from sweden

Postby blueswriter » Tue Aug 06, 2002 7:08 pm

Welcome aboard Pelle...

Great place to read a lot about blues. The piano forum isn't usually too active, but your mention of Otis Spann hit the blues nerve! Spann, to me, is the absolute pinnacle of blues piano! Whether he was playing behind Muddy and anyone else, or doing his own stuff, he always knew what to play and when not to play. His solo material and the Candid recordings with Lockwood are superb! I think you'll like it around here... there's plenty of knowledge shared and the comical banter that arises can't be beat. Enjoy yourself and we look forward to seeing you around.

Blueswriter
blueswriter
Contributor
Contributor

Postby inbred » Tue Aug 06, 2002 11:05 pm

Hi Pelle Piano. Welcome to us. And then there was Leroy Carr.
inbred
Regular

Postby drmojo » Wed Aug 07, 2002 1:20 am

I've always wished there were more blues piano players hanging around the Big Road so we could build up the discussion in that area of expertise. I love slide and country blues guitar (aka Lightnin' Hopkins) but when I'm sitting around and want to get lost in the blues, it's the piano for me. Ok, well, tonight...

So welcome!!

Moj
drmojo
Regular

Postby mikedev » Thu Aug 22, 2002 4:26 am

I'm pretty certain that the piano player on Magic Sam's West Side Soul album came from Sweden. I think he went by the name of Stockholm Slim.

Now that gives you something to shoot for!
mikedev
Regular

Postby pellepiano » Thu Aug 22, 2002 7:28 pm

Yes that is true, he's our first true blues piano player here in Sweden, Per "Stockholm Slim" Notini.
I think he was just visiting the studio and Otis Spann didnt show up for the session.
I saw him lots of times when I was learning in the seventies. He's now more into gospel but still active..
He had a record label together with Jonas Bernholm I think, called Route 66 that reissued a lot of hard to get records with Amos Milburn, Wynonie Harris and more, cause he had Swedens biggest collections of 78's.
In fact I talked to him just a month ago cause I couldnt figure out the lyrics to Cow Cow Blues, and he of course could provide me with it.
pellepiano
Regular

Postby mikedev » Fri Aug 23, 2002 7:08 am

Excellent! Good to know he's still around.
mikedev
Regular

Return to A Bit About You