Youtube tutorial recommendations

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

Youtube tutorial recommendations

Postby A J Davies » Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:22 pm

Hi there,

I've seen quite a few good dobro tutorials on Youtube, but the thing is all the one's I've found have been focused on playing with the dobro in the lap and using a steel bar. I play upright with a brass finger slide. Troy Brenningmeyer's videos, for example, are great but I have to basically sit there hitting the pause button and wrapping my head around translating from what he's doing with what he uses to how I need to do it with what I'm using. Not exactly rocket surgery but it would sure be grand if there were some dobro videos that were aimed at players like me.
Thought I'd ask here for any recommendations seeing as the search function over there really ain't helping me. Much obliged.
A J Davies
Regular

Re: Youtube tutorial recommendations

Postby allanlummox » Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:34 am

What sort of tunings have you been using? What sort of music are you interested in playing?

You might be better off searching videos of folks playing slide or bottleneck - as a style of play, "dobro" often refers to the lap style playing, in a simplified tuning, that is heard in much bluegrass.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Youtube tutorial recommendations

Postby A J Davies » Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:53 pm

just open G, maybe some simple delta or the odd bit of bluegrass. thanks for the tip.
A J Davies
Regular

Return to Guitar