Baritone set up?

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

Baritone set up?

Postby Jakeblues » Sat Aug 16, 2014 4:58 pm

Baritone question: I'm converting a Tele (what else would I mess with?) to a 28 5/8" scale Baritone. I'll be setting it up for slide and want the set up to be similar to my regular scale guitars; 13 - 56. It seems like 16 - 70 would get me to where i want to be (tuning either A vastapol or D Spanish). Any Baritone slide players? What's your set up and how does it compare to your regular scale guitars?
Jakeblues
Regular

Re: Baritone set up?

Postby NEONMOONY » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:51 am

Hey Jake-

FWIW, I play a baritone National Tricone, as one of my slide guitars. I have it set up with fairly heavy strings, though not quite as heavy as what you suggest. I think I have about a 14-60 on mine right now and I have no issues. I prefer heavy strings on both slide and straight. Obviously, they are hard to fret and bend but I like the way the notes ring out clear with being junky. I'm not likely to light up the fretboard anyway.
NEONMOONY
Regular

Postby michaelm » Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:08 am

Jake, I'm a little slow on the uptake here. You're probably strung up and running by now, but just in case you missed it, here goes. There are baritone string set out there.

D'Addario: 14 - 68: http://www.elderly.com/accessories/items/EXL157.htm
GHS Custom for Elderly: 16 - 64: http://www.elderly.com/accessories/items/BRS.htm
John Pearse: 17 - 70: http://elderly.com/accessories/items/JP3280M.htm

All good brands in my experience. Since I like the way they sound on my resos, I'd probably try the Pearse set first, but that opinion could change tomorrow. Anyway, sounds like a cool project. HTH.
michaelm
Regular

Postby Jakeblues » Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:32 pm

I still have a ways to go. I played a Taylor acoustic Bari with 16 -70 and liked that a lot. I couldn't find the GHS or D'addario electric sets, they must be exclusive to Elderly. I like the JP's a lot for reso and use GHS for electric. D'addario are fine, I just hate the way they're packaged.

I'll post something once I get this beast done. Thanks!
Jakeblues
Regular

Postby allanlummox » Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:27 am

Not quite a baritone setup but I've been tuning a National El Trovador low - open C and open F, just open D and G dropped a step - using a 60 - 16 set. The slightly reduced tension is a nice change and the guitar sounds great.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Buffalo_Bill » Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:13 am

As an outsider, I been playing baritone electric for a couple years.
Even converted a couple 30" scale bass' into baritone guitars
All tuned B-B or dropped the high B down to A for slide.
I prefer 11-49s, and don't like heavy strings at all.
This song (Nine-Lives) features a Univox High Flyer baritone (converted from bass), using slide and wah.
https://soundcloud.com/buffalobillsmart/nine-lives
Bill
Buffalo_Bill
Regular

Postby Jakeblues » Sun Oct 12, 2014 2:44 am

Thanks for the input. I got the it put together and got it back from having a nut cut (Not quite in my skill set yet). It' came set up with 13 - 56. It was okay tuned up to B Vastapol, but kinda sloppy. It really didn't play well in A Vastapol. I just put on a 16 - 70 set and I think that's where I'll stay. I need to make some minor adjustments and re-intonate it, but it sounds and plays well. It's a lot of fun. I just need to refine more licks deep on the low strings (and stop knocking stuff over with the headstock...it's a lot of neck).
Jakeblues
Regular

Postby Jakeblues » Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:19 pm

Jakeblues
Regular

Return to Guitar